Drew Brees is NBC’s new Notre Dame game analyst, working with Mike Tirico (1 Viewer)

I'm sure somebody will fill me in on how he does. I will not be watching

Hopefully, the network higher-ups will love him so much they'll promote him out of broadcast hell onto the real games after only one season.

The only trouble is that Notre Dame alumni want the TV broadcasters to gush about how amazing all their players are, even when they're terrible, so I'm worried the Irish faithful may complain about him not being enough of a homer for them.
To be fair and honest as possible and while I'm not an Irish fan, Notre Dame has had more then their fair share of very good teams filled with excellent, future NFL All-Pros position players, one of the most notable being SS Harrison Smith. Even if Notre Dame has gotten their arses collectively kicked 3 times over the past 10 years when they've either played or appeared in the BCSCG, or the two times they were blown out playing in the CFP semifinals (2018, and 2020). But at least they and their fans can say they got there.

Kirk Herbstreit certainly identifies with post-playing career classification. Although, despite the temptation to knock or snidely call out Herb's lack of pro success, in terms of becoming one of NCAAF's best play-by-play announcers, he had to work his arse off and almost into the ground when he first began covering old ESPN SEC Thursday Night and late Saturday night SEC games between Kentucky/Vanderbilt or Ole Miss/South Carolina B or C games back in the late 1990's. There's a newer, younger generation of NCAAF fans who are unaware of how long and how low down on the totem pole Kirk Herbstreit was when he began working ESPN NCAAF games. So, while I do find him somewhat annoying and occasionally a homer for certain preordained teams(his alma mater, Alabama, here's looking at you), its difficult to not at least acknowledge, state how much hard work, professional and personal sacrifices and perseverance he put into being apart of NCAAF's #1 color commentating team.
He went to Ohio St.

He went to Ohio St.
When I said, his alma mater, I meant Ohio St. and Alabama as the two NCAAF teams he's shown a tendency to be willing to show favoritism towards in his years covering ESPN/ABC NCAAF games in making observations, opinions, or trends on issues related to BCS/CFP positioning, individual school players more or less deserving of Heisman attention.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom