Drew Brees' Replacement (1 Viewer)

I don't like to think that far ahead no one will ever replace Brees on the field on the Saints. Brees is his own person and is still doing great. In about 4 to 5 years we could start looking for a back up not a replacement. I know Chase Daniels is 26 a year older than me he could technically replace him but I honestly see him moving on. By that point he will have a good 4 or 5 years left in his career at best.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

We should just enjoy the moment we have with Brees he will bring us another Super Bowl at the very least and keep us fans happy for several years to come!<O:p</O:p

1002074_a47c86422a.jpg

I am going to admit right away that I did not read every post, which I TRY to do before I open my yapper.
It is pretty obvious that we all want Drew to play until he can't shake his own willy after he goes pee pee. I will probably shed a tear and snot bubbles when he retires, and am not a fan of looking past those days.
However, I do believe that his heir apparent is probably a highschooler right now, and will not be a guy that is "4 star rated".
I like Daniels, and believe that he would have success should we ever need to rely on him, but I also do not have enough knowledge to know just how good he is beyond preseason games.

The only thing that I am very wary of ever seeing as the Saints QB is a runner.
To me it seems as though you would have to adjust the O-line personnel to fit that type of QB, and make major adjustments in play calling.
Don't get me wrong, I like a QB to be able to go and make a play with his feet, but not Vick style, and definitely if it means that he doesn't have the arm first.

Ok, going to go through the thread now and probably see where I should have just shut up

2013 - use picks on other positions
2014 - " "
2015 - A massive project (possibly UDFA probs wont make it through camp)
2016 - Late round project
2017 - Start looking in draft
2018 - Take free agent from Chargers/Tank/Find one who falls to us
2019 - If we tanked pick up 1st pick of Draft....

I think a serious open competition should take place before considering this. I'd say about four years from now.

Also, if it were up to me I really like the idea of SP coaching Russel Wilson. An even more dynamic offense could result. I mean he's got leadership, accuracy, descent arm, wheels that he uses to get first downs and even blocks for his RB down field. I know this won't happen but, just sayin' it would be cool.

First, lets not call him DB. That's what my wife and I use to talk bad about people in front of the kids. W
I'm still saying we shoulda grabbed that kid from Houston (was it?) last year. The 6 footer that threw for 5,000 yards his senior year. Just sayin.

I too hope he never leaves but in all seriousness in the next 3-4 years we need to really look at QBs and try and find ourselves a hard working, underrated, overachieving kid who wants to prove his worth to an organization. Let him sit behind Drew Before he retires and absorb every bit of knowledge Drew can throw his way. We all want Drew to play forever but like any other HOF,All Pro,Record setting Qb, it must come to an end someday. I just hope our next leader can come in with feet too big for Drews Shoes because Lord knows that they are humongous.

First, lets not call him DB. That's what my wife and I use to talk bad about people in front of the kids. W
I'm still saying we shoulda grabbed that kid from Houston (was it?) last year. The 6 footer that threw for 5,000 yards his senior year. Just sayin.

Case Keenum? He's on the Texans practice squad right now. He was good same height as Drew Brees and often said he was trying to model himself after Drew Brees.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

While I realize that there is obviously an interest in who will come after Drew, these threads always remind me a little bit of a kid who can't help but think about what he might get for his birthday while opening his Christmas presents.

It's Christmas, people, lets just enjoy this time with Drew without worrying about what comes next.

Yeah, in all honesty, that "next" QB's name isn't even known to us. It's no one in ths draft. He's probably a college Freshmen this coming Fall. So, hard to throw out names when no one knows which current HS QB / Future College QB, or a redshirted freshmen QB will be the next big thing.

If Brees goes the next 4 years without a Superbowl, but getting close, then I absolutely see him signing a Brady-like extension to make one final run at it.

If we win another SB in the next few years though, I can see Drew hanging it up at the end of this contract.

If Brees goes the next 4 years without a Superbowl, but getting close, then I absolutely see him signing a Brady-like extension to make one final run at it.

If we win another SB in the next few years though, I can see Drew hanging it up at the end of this contract.

I think he'll get an extension next year ala Brady to spread some of that cap hit and help get Jimmy Graham locked up.

I think we need to focus on needs right now; there is no reason to even waste a second thinking about Drew Brees replacement.

In about 5 years or 4 then we should take QB high in the draft and let him learn under Drew Brees.

I really think we need to focus on building the strength of the rest of the team before we think about Brees replacement. Ideally we will still have a good mixture of young players and veterans on the squad when Brees does retire... a strong team all around. Not having a quality QB for a season will undoubtedly net us a high pick with which we can draft another QB to place behind a strong line with good skill players to work with and a talented defense.

Much better IMO than having a degrading team and throwing a rookie or even a player that has been groomed for succession to the wolves.

Besides we have a future hall of fame QB on our roster right now... we should have three year vision right now because we do not want to look ahead and waste the opportunities having Bree's caliber of QB affords us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom