Drew Brees' Replacement (1 Viewer)

He just turned 34. He's going to play at least six more seasons.

Based on what?

Maybe he does stick around that long. I hope he does. But none of us know that for certain, so no use in acting as if we do.

Can we at least wait until the man isn't one of the best QBs in the game, and/or isn't throwing for almost or at least 5000 yards a season, and/or leading the league in TDs, and/or the heart and soul of the team who routinely puts the team on his shoulders to lead the team on Sundays?

I mean the guy is in his 2nd year of a 100 million dollar deal and doesn't look like he's dropped or will drop off his play for the remainder of his contract. Aaron Rodgers understudied for 3 years. Next year will be when you'd get a 3 year understudy, and that's if you think Brees is done at the end of his current contract. I'd say give this topic a rest for two more years. I doubt Payton is going to even consider getting a QB to replace Brees until he thinks Brees is almost done. Until then you give Brees as much help to win on Sundays to get us another Super Bowl, and that means not drafting a QB and getting other positions.

He just turned 34. He's going to play at least six more seasons.

The whole "draft someone and prepare them for four years" thing doesn't happen anymore anyway.

I hear ya. But you're assuming he stays healthy. Brees has obviously been in GREAT shape and has been quite resilient and durable. But all it takes is one injury to shorten an aging career.

Well Baylen Brees will be drafted on April 26th in 2029 (he'll forgo his senior year). So I would expect Brees to sign a a 15 year contract extension probably next year and Loomis will start stockpiling 2029 picks to trade up.

That would work fine as well ha!

Based on what?

Maybe he does stick around that long. I hope he does. But none of us know that for certain, so no use in acting as if we do.

The fact that he's driven, healthy, at his peak, and has no reason to suddenly retire early.

Forced passes are bad throws...

His point is they aren't a physical problem. You can make bad throws because you are losing the ability to physically make the throw. Or you can make bad throws because you forced some under a ton of pressure.

The latter doesn't speak to any kind of decline. Physical issues do.

I hear ya. But you're assuming he stays healthy. Brees has obviously been in GREAT shape and has been quite resilient and durable. But all it takes is one injury to shorten an aging career.

That can happen anytime, in which case you can't really plan for it anyway.

In terms of planning ahead, 3 years is the earliest I'd be looking for a backup to groom as a replacement. And even then that's probably early because the NFL trend is to throw rookies in the fire, not groom them for years.

Brees will continue to play for the Saints after Baylen finish his football career in his senior year at Purdue. :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom