Drew Brees' Replacement (1 Viewer)

in 3 years they should draft a qb and develop him while brees plays in his final years. theyll prob sign brees to another extension towards the end of his current contract so he retires as a saint.

maybe not in 3 years but they should give themselves 2 years before brees' career is about to be over.

Brees turned 34 back in January so he will play till somewhere between 37 and 39 giving 3-5 years left. Best case is drafting some one and giving them 2 years to learn. I would think getting his eventual replacement will happen in 2015 or 2016.

Given the time frames you want to look at the 2013 freshman and sophomores for a potential long term replacement

Well Baylen Brees will be drafted on April 26th in 2029 (he'll forgo his senior year). So I would expect Brees to sign a a 15 year contract extension probably next year and Loomis will start stockpiling 2029 picks to trade up.

Hi guys, Happy Friday!!! I just wanted to get the opinion of people on the forum, when do you think we should start looking for DB's replacement? I think within the next year or two would be great so the player can learn to behind DB. I don't think there is a better prepared QB (every Sunday) than he is. If you do it right (like DB does), being a top notch QB is a HUGE job. It will be interesting to see how SP picks the next QB. It's an interesting topic nonetheless, at least to me. Have a great weekend guys!

He just turned 34. He's going to play at least six more seasons.

The whole "draft someone and prepare them for four years" thing doesn't happen anymore anyway.

Brees turned 34 back in January so he will play till somewhere between 37 and 39 giving 3-5 years left. Best case is drafting some one and giving them 2 years to learn. I would think getting his eventual replacement will happen in 2015 or 2016.

Given the time frames you want to look at the 2013 freshman and sophomores for a potential long term replacement

There's zero chance Brees retires in three years. Zero.

Speaking of, Bowen Brees will play LT and Callen Christian Brees, who will go by "C square" and be the hip black sheep of the family, will play WR. The Saints will acquire all of them, causing half of SR.com to refer to the trio as the "Holy Trinity" and start 15,000 threads about the nickname.

I by no means am an expert but I would think you would want the "replacement" to have about 2 years left on his rookie contract when he took over the reins. If Drew played another 5 years that would mean picking one up in 3 years from now which would make him a freshman or sophomore in college right now. Just speculation on my part.

math is a little off here.
He plays 2013 season at 34
2014 at 35
2015 at 36
2016 at 37
See how he looks in 2016 thats 4 more years then make the decision. You can't even think of deciding when to make it years in advance. He may be finished then he may be good for another 3 after that.
You guys that want to predict when Saints will have to look for a replacement are driving me nuts. You just can't figure that out 3 or 4 or 6 years in advance.

I'd say you start looking 2 years from now. But not for a big name. If someone is in the draft that might be a potential project, it'd be smart to grab him. Drew is 34. Realistically we are looking at 4 more years. It isn't that long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom