Drew Brees Rumor Up Here in Mpls - He's not the same (2 Viewers)

VikesFan2017

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Don't kill the messenger on this one, but just wanted to inquire and share if anyone heard this rumor.

Up here a couple of our radio heads are not picking the Saints to win the division because they had heard an inside scoop that Brees was hit bad in the last Atlanta game, and after watching him, he hasn't been the same, and they don't think he will be the same.

I don't know the hit, but looking at his game logs, he still had some good games including against Pittsburgh.

Has this rumor been flushed out already?
Anyone else hear it?

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
Mpls? In my mind, that would be pronounced: Meeples.

Second: "the same"? Yes, Drew is Drew. His abilities have never been due primarily because of his legs or his arm, but rather his mind. Unless he's had a brain transplant, he's going to be one of the best in the league AGAIN this year.

You can HOPE that Cousins isn't the same QB You had last year, but I'm afraid that he's the same overpaid ball of mediocrity you had last year.

mdharper

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wishful thinking.

The trolls are whistling past the graveyard.

Truth be known, it has happened a couple of times in Drew's career that he has been hurt, played through it, and nobody mentioned it (or if somebody noticed, it didn't get any traction). Those injuries have effected his velocity and stamina but he has always recovered and it has been nothing like what happened to Peyton Manning in his final season. You remember, the one he won his second Super Bowl?

J-bud

Veteran
Reaction score
He is not the same, last year he led all QB's in QB rating and this year he will be even better..

FGE413

Reaction score
I think Brees' issues down the stretch were a combination of o-line issues (Armstead missed several games and played hurt in others and he is irreplaceable...Unger was clearly laboring through injuries in the 2nd half of the season and it's why he retired in March....Peat played in the playoffs with a broken hand) and an older athlete just getting tired at the end of a very long season (he missed some passes he usually makes vs. PHI and LAR even when he had time to throw). But no, I don't think there was some secret mystery injury he suffered against ATL, certainly not one so severe it would be affecting him now.

Sorry to make it look like a flame and run. I had to run my kid to an event then I watched a HS football game last night. I have a decent post history to show I'm not just here to flame.

In my original post, that's why I was trying to inquire if there was any "rumor" or "substance" to this. Or at least a starting point as to what they were referring to. I don't know what the injury would have been to be that severe. Didn't make sense to me, so thought I'd come to the source and ask you guys if this was something people chattered about at all. As mentioned, O-line concerns can affect a QB's play. (Look at the Vikings last year).

We do have our share of boobs on radio here including our play by play guy "Paul Allen" who came up with this rumor. He's an over-the-top homer. I agree that his production doesn't show injury as I mentioned in my first post. Just wanted to see if this was a rumor people had heard down there.

I would take Brees over Cousins this season and next.

I don't listen to it much, but yesterday with it being the last weekday before the opener I listed for a bit and was just surprised to hear it. That's why I posted. If you listen to TV and Radio people enough, eventually you'll find someone who agrees with exactly what you are thinking, and 20 people who feel differently.

Hello fellow Minnesotan!
I don't think keeping Keenum would have gotten us to the Super Bowl, so rolling the dice was the right option.
If you are saying Keenum might have won more games than Kirk last year, I may agree with you. But no Super Bowl appearance. Had to go for broke with Cousins.

Yeh, a lot of people do hate Sean Payton. And some can't get over 2010 and won't until we make a Super Bowl.

Saviorbrees

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This rumor is completely false. I’ve been to 6 practices this offseason and Brees still looks like old Brees. The man is still elite. And we even saw him in game action and he played flawless in that first drive. Delete this thread.

slikk

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
he sure looked his usual great self during the one drive he had in preseason game 3.

Dryheatbob

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hey VikesFan2017- good to see ya back! Honestly I should've put a snarky smiley face thing on my post- I've read your posts in the past and thought them to be pretty well thought out and friendly. My bad, and my apologies.

As for Drew I think his numbers and play tonight should put the idea that he is done to rest. You think the radio heads up your way will still think he's done after tonight?

Reaction score
Don't kill the messenger on this one, but just wanted to inquire and share if anyone heard this rumor.

Up here a couple of our radio heads are not picking the Saints to win the division because they had heard an inside scoop that Brees was hit bad in the last Atlanta game, and after watching him, he hasn't been the same, and they don't think he will be the same.

I don't know the hit, but looking at his game logs, he still had some good games including against Pittsburgh.

Has this rumor been flushed out already?
Anyone else hear it?
Personally, I thought he got the shoulder banged up late last year...took a couple of bad sacks...or hits..
and I saw him shaking that shoulder, which, I saw him do that year in Chicago for the championship game,
when it was so freakin cold...Look, I am not saying he is done...just telling what I see...
Last night, the pass of 20 yards or so to Ginn, Ginn had to slow down and wait on it, it was underthrown.
I saw another pass that would have been a longer gain if he had tossed it two more yards...
But, you know, you can't see that the defense is doing to him a lot of times when a pass is not perfect...so..
who knows...my gut feeling, he didn't seem like the same Drew last night...but, he played like a champion, because
he is one....I don't think we will really know for a while where he is at physically...I wish him and the team all the best...
They deserve a ring this year....it is time..

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I thought he got the shoulder banged up late last year...took a couple of bad sacks...or hits..
and I saw him shaking that shoulder, which, I saw him do that year in Chicago for the championship game,
when it was so freakin cold...Look, I am not saying he is done...just telling what I see...
Last night, the pass of 20 yards or so to Ginn, Ginn had to slow down and wait on it, it was underthrown.
I saw another pass that would have been a longer gain if he had tossed it two more yards...
But, you know, you can't see that the defense is doing to him a lot of times when a pass is not perfect...so..
who knows...my gut feeling, he didn't seem like the same Drew last night...but, he played like a champion, because
he is one....I don't think we will really know for a while where he is at physically...I wish him and the team all the best...
That’s how Brees always throws that ball. Him slightly underthrowing his receivers is how he does it. Maybe it was Dan a couple years ago talking about it. Throwing the deep ball is an art, there’s more to it than just winging it as far as you can. If a deep ball is overthrown, it goes to where the CB has a chance to pick it. Hitting the War in stride is wonderful, but relies on a guy being in exact place at exact time. But, by slightly underthrowing the pass it allows the receiver to push up the field, then slow and get to his position keeping the CB away from the pass. This allows the WR an easy catch, that pass damn near fell into Ginn’s Hands, and it keeps the CB away from the ball because he’s usually recovering from reacting at full speed. Now sure you don’t get the RAC all the time, but the play is higher percentage that way, and you still have a huge gain.

Reaction score
Nitpicking every throw is still a thing, I see. Forget that he literally won the game in half a minute from the 25. Forget that he threw for 370 last night. There was 2 passes that weren't perfect!

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He threw a ~50 yard dart off his back foot to Ginn on his most pressure-packed snap of the night.

I think he’s okay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom