Drew Brees Rumor Up Here in Mpls - He's not the same (1 Viewer)

Some of our own fans on SR get on us from time-to-time for not focusing on the next opponent, looking ahead, taking the next opponent too lightly, etc. Can one of you guys that do that well please get on this Vikes Fan for not focusing on the Falcons game coming up? Those Vikes fans are gonna cost their team a game and cost us the enjoyment of a Falcons loss.

Don't kill the messenger on this one, but just wanted to inquire and share if anyone heard this rumor.

Up here a couple of our radio heads are not picking the Saints to win the division because they had heard an inside scoop that Brees was hit bad in the last Atlanta game, and after watching him, he hasn't been the same, and they don't think he will be the same.

I don't know the hit, but looking at his game logs, he still had some good games including against Pittsburgh.

Has this rumor been flushed out already?
Anyone else hear it?

The "Brees is in decline" rumor has been flying its flag for the last 5 seasons or so right along with the "Sean Payton is going to Dallas" garbage.

Don't kill the messenger on this one, but just wanted to inquire and share if anyone heard this rumor.

Up here a couple of our radio heads are not picking the Saints to win the division because they had heard an inside scoop that Brees was hit bad in the last Atlanta game, and after watching him, he hasn't been the same, and they don't think he will be the same.

I don't know the hit, but looking at his game logs, he still had some good games including against Pittsburgh.

Anyone else hear it?
They are regurgitating a rumor that sprung up at the end of last season.

When the Saints offense lagged some at the end of 2018, a few of the shock sports jocks floated that rumor (Drew injured in Atl game) without a real understanding of our team. Reality is that injuries to our OL caused a significant disruption to our offense. When our OL came back together, so did our offense. Look at the playoff games to see the resulting improvement. And Drew, even under those circumstances, was still far better than most starting QBs in the NFL. Just look at his completion %.

So, no truth to that rumor. Those guys are suffering from wishful thinking.

Last edited:
For the last 3 seasons “they” have predicted Brees’ decline for one reason or another... until he comes out and shows that he hasn’t lost it yet, they have a shot at being right (Father Time is undefeated)...

Personally, I think he’s got more in the tank.

He will pass for more yards this year than last with the addition of the TE Cook. And that should open up chances for one of our 3 second year guys to catch on and be more productive. Hopefully they have an answer this year for when Armstead goes down.

It's the week before kick-off and like all fans, we have some black and gold rose-colored glasses. Brees looks like he could play another 2-3 years at a high level. However taking the homer glasses off for a second, Brees sure looked like he physically faded in the latter part of the season. We homers can hope it was bad o-line play and poor secondary receivers in the 2nd half of the season. But he looked aging.

I will convince myself Brees has 2-3 more good years, but we are at the point to just be grateful and appreciate every game Brees plays. One of the Top 3 of all time and a thrill to just watch the ultimate craftsman. We shall see, but imho I think he has at least one more SB season left in him.

Even if that's true, the last Atlanta game was in November. Do they really think he had THAT severe of an injury that it would still be affecting him nearly 10 months later? Sheldon Rankins tore his Achilles in mid-January and even he has been practicing all week. Even if Brees was playing through an injury after the ATL game last season, they really think it hasn't healed by now? Wouldn't he have had off-season surgery if it had really been that bad?

If you want to say Brees will finally tail off, then yeah, I guess one of these years that statement will be true unless he wins it all and pulls an Elway. But the "injured in Atlanta and will still be affected by it this year" theory is balderdash and poppycock (they don't let us curse on this board).

Good luck vs. the Falcons.

Anyone else hear it?

I see your rumor with simple facts:

2018 74.4 Comp Pct 32 TD 5 INT 115.7 QBR
2017 72 Comp Pct 23 TD 8 INT 103.9 QBR
2016 70 Comp Pct 37 TD 15 INT 101.7 QBR
2015 68.3 Comp Pct 32 TD 11 INT 101 QBR

Please point out the decline would ya?

I heard a rumor that sports radio in Minny is full of boobs (and not the good kind...)

It's the week before kick-off and like all fans, we have some black and gold rose-colored glasses. Brees looks like he could play another 2-3 years at a high level. However taking the homer glasses off for a second, Brees sure looked like he physically faded in the latter part of the season. We homers can hope it was bad o-line play and poor secondary receivers in the 2nd half of the season. But he looked aging.

I will convince myself Brees has 2-3 more good years, but we are at the point to just be grateful and appreciate every game Brees plays. One of the Top 3 of all time and a thrill to just watch the ultimate craftsman. We shall see, but imho I think he has at least one more SB season left in him.
In your opinion.

Imo, he worked with what he had and we know (and so should you) that our OL was decimated by injury. If you expect even the greatest QBs to play the same under those conditions, you need to re-evaluate your expectations. And the fact that his performance regressed to that of a normal human just happened to have occured at the same time as those injuries is not coincidental.

We're spoiled in thinking that Drew can overcome all. He can't. He's a pocket passer with great pocket mobility. But that has been his achilles heel. He has to have a pocket to pass consistently. This is why Payton has emphasized the OL when building his teams. When injury strikes like it did last year (IIRC, at one point the only starting OL left in the game was Ram) no QB can maintain the pace Brees was on earlier in the year. A record setting pace.

And if that was aging, he'll play another 10 years (intentional exageration) before he is an average QB.

In your opinion.

Imo, he worked with what he had and we know (and so should you) that our OL was decimated by injury. If you expect even the greatest QBs to play the same under those conditions, you need to re-evaluate your expectations. And the fact that his performance regressed to that of a normal human just happened to coincide with those injuries is not coincidental.

We're spoiled in thinking that Drew can overcome all. He can't. He's a pocket passer with great pocket mobility. But that has been his achilles heel. He has to have a pocket to pass consistently. This is why Payton has emphasized the OL when building his teams. When injury strikes like it did last year (IIRC, at one point the only starting OL left in the game was Ram) no QB can maintain the pace Brees was on earlier in the year. A record setting pace.

And if that was aging, he'll play another 10 years (intentional exageration) before he is an average QB.

Great Insights Mighty! Sure hope you are spot-on!

This sounds like wishful thinking by Vikes fans.

Look, Brees is 40 and in relatively uncharted territory. He could fall off at any time. Or not.

It does look like on the deepest throws he's lost some velocity. But he is still insanely accurate and efficient.

As far as last year, hard to tell what exactly went on. The OL was banged up and Brees was getting more pressure late in the season. Plus, after Michael Thomas he had no experienced or top tier WR talent to throw too, and lacked a real threat at the TE position. So, it wasn't all about Brees.

I doubt there is anything to your rumor but since so few QBs have made it to the age of 40 playing at the level Brees is still playing I don't know how to predict when he will hit a wall. Might it be this year? Maybe, maybe not. But if he does it didn't have anything to do with the Falcons...it was just Father Time.

Great post. This all day. He’s lost a tad on the deep throws and as Taker alluded to he’s lost some of that pocket presence magic he’s had thru the years....but he is still elite in so many ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom