Drew Brees Rumor Up Here in Mpls - He's not the same (1 Viewer)

Just take care of the failconns & we will do the rest. By the way, it doesn't look like your guys will have a hard time this season.

One of said Radio-heads picked the Falcons over the Vikings this weekend. I'm not sold on our Vikes this year. I'm afraid 7-9 might be likely. Although Thursday night's game gave me a bit of hope.

I heard some guys talking on the radio about how Kirk Cousins chokes in big games. However, I don't know much about the guy. Last time I watched him play was in the Dome when he played for the Redskins and he let the Saints come back and beat his team at the end. It broke the heart of some Skins fans sitting close to me. Pretty sad scene for them. Y'all should have kept that Keenum guy who was capable of beating the Saints in the last seconds of a game.

What's the word in Minny? Should y'all have kept Keenum?

No one is arguing at this point we should have kept Keenum. Those who are anti-Cousins, (and there's a good number) don't really have a logical solution to what we should have done. (some say Teddy, but those are mostly Teddy-heads). A good number of people up here really love Teddy.

They are regurgitating a rumor that sprung up at the end of last season.

When the Saints offense lagged some at the end of 2018, a few of the shock sports jocks floated that rumor (Drew injured in Atl game) without a real understanding of our team. Reality is that injuries to our OL caused a significant disruption to our offense. When our OL came back together, so did our offense. Look at the playoff games to see the resulting improvement. And Drew, even under those circumstances, was still far better than most starting QBs in the NFL. Just look at his completion %.

So, no truth to that rumor. Those guys are suffering from wishful thinking.

Thanks for this. This gives some detail as to where the rumor started. I think his advancing age would generally be the likely reason for any loss of production but he's been a precise passer and as efficient as they come. I like Drew a lot. Total class guy. One of the best.

One of said Radio-heads picked the Falcons over the Vikings this weekend. I'm not sold on our Vikes this year. I'm afraid 7-9 might be likely. Although Thursday night's game gave me a bit of hope.

No one is arguing at this point we should have kept Keenum. Those who are anti-Cousins, (and there's a good number) don't really have a logical solution to what we should have done. (some say Teddy, but those are mostly Teddy-heads). A good number of people up here really love Teddy.

Thanks for this. This gives some detail as to where the rumor started. I think his advancing age would generally be the likely reason for any loss of production but he's been a precise passer and as efficient as they come. I like Drew a lot. Total class guy. One of the best.

I think the "loss of production" is just as much a factor of Payton turning more to the run game and the team playing with a lead.

It may be a chicken/egg scenario, but Payton has focused a lot more on efficiency and controlling the clock in recent years. This past season, we happened to be leading much of the game which meant it didn't make sense for Drew to throw up gaudy passing numbers.

Hey...where did the OP go?

Sorry to make it look like a flame and run. I had to run my kid to an event then I watched a HS football game last night. I have a decent post history to show I'm not just here to flame.

Even if that's true, the last Atlanta game was in November. Do they really think he had THAT severe of an injury that it would still be affecting him nearly 10 months later? Sheldon Rankins tore his Achilles in mid-January and even he has been practicing all week. Even if Brees was playing through an injury after the ATL game last season, they really think it hasn't healed by now? Wouldn't he have had off-season surgery if it had really been that bad?

If you want to say Brees will finally tail off, then yeah, I guess one of these years that statement will be true unless he wins it all and pulls an Elway. But the "injured in Atlanta and will still be affected by it this year" theory is balderdash and poppycock (they don't let us curse on this board).

Good luck vs. the Falcons.

In my original post, that's why I was trying to inquire if there was any "rumor" or "substance" to this. Or at least a starting point as to what they were referring to. I don't know what the injury would have been to be that severe. Didn't make sense to me, so thought I'd come to the source and ask you guys if this was something people chattered about at all. As mentioned, O-line concerns can affect a QB's play. (Look at the Vikings last year).

I see your rumor with simple facts:

2018 74.4 Comp Pct 32 TD 5 INT 115.7 QBR
2017 72 Comp Pct 23 TD 8 INT 103.9 QBR
2016 70 Comp Pct 37 TD 15 INT 101.7 QBR
2015 68.3 Comp Pct 32 TD 11 INT 101 QBR

Please point out the decline would ya?

I heard a rumor that sports radio in Minny is full of boobs (and not the good kind...)

We do have our share of boobs on radio here including our play by play guy "Paul Allen" who came up with this rumor. He's an over-the-top homer. I agree that his production doesn't show injury as I mentioned in my first post. Just wanted to see if this was a rumor people had heard down there.

The rumor of Drew being in decline the last 5 year's is quite funny. It is far better than what Cousins has produced in his prime. Any QB who has played or ever will play would be thrilled with those numbers. They are better than what any QB has ever produced and will get you to the Hall of Fame.

I would take Brees over Cousins this season and next.

Why do you guys and girls listen to this stuff and give it any credibility? I’m really not trying to be critical. Forgive me if it comes across that way.

For many, many years I listened to all the shows and took the bait. I get it. I had to consume as much media info about my team as I could.

Today I just don’t really care what they have to say, good or bad. I watch the games and form my own opinion.

The media knuckleheads are competing for listeners/internet clicks, etc. They say whatever it takes to achieve that. Do yourself a favor and ignore them.

I don't listen to it much, but yesterday with it being the last weekday before the opener I listed for a bit and was just surprised to hear it. That's why I posted. If you listen to TV and Radio people enough, eventually you'll find someone who agrees with exactly what you are thinking, and 20 people who feel differently.

I am a transplant from NOLA up here in Lino Lakes, MN.... This, this, this!!! I can't tell you how many times I've said this to friends of mine that are Vikings fans.... If they would have kept Keenum, it's absolutely certain that there fortunes would be way different( he balled out in that season he played with them and the players rallied around him!!!!).. Kirk Cousins is a me first player that is way overrated(and chokes in big games:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).. Trust me when I say, the locals are extremely jealous and bitter about that playoff loss in '10.. Butthurt would be the proper expression.. They hate Sean Payton with extreme fervor:cool:(y)... They are extremely jealous that we have Brees;):100:.. Whodat for life!!!

Hello fellow Minnesotan!
I don't think keeping Keenum would have gotten us to the Super Bowl, so rolling the dice was the right option.
If you are saying Keenum might have won more games than Kirk last year, I may agree with you. But no Super Bowl appearance. Had to go for broke with Cousins.

Yeh, a lot of people do hate Sean Payton. And some can't get over 2010 and won't until we make a Super Bowl.

Mpls? In my mind, that would be pronounced: Meeples.

Second: "the same"? Yes, Drew is Drew. His abilities have never been due primarily because of his legs or his arm, but rather his mind. Unless he's had a brain transplant, he's going to be one of the best in the league AGAIN this year.

You can HOPE that Cousins isn't the same QB You had last year, but I'm afraid that he's the same overpaid ball of mediocrity you had last year.

Wishful thinking.

The trolls are whistling past the graveyard.

Truth be known, it has happened a couple of times in Drew's career that he has been hurt, played through it, and nobody mentioned it (or if somebody noticed, it didn't get any traction). Those injuries have effected his velocity and stamina but he has always recovered and it has been nothing like what happened to Peyton Manning in his final season. You remember, the one he won his second Super Bowl?

He is not the same, last year he led all QB's in QB rating and this year he will be even better..

I think Brees' issues down the stretch were a combination of o-line issues (Armstead missed several games and played hurt in others and he is irreplaceable...Unger was clearly laboring through injuries in the 2nd half of the season and it's why he retired in March....Peat played in the playoffs with a broken hand) and an older athlete just getting tired at the end of a very long season (he missed some passes he usually makes vs. PHI and LAR even when he had time to throw). But no, I don't think there was some secret mystery injury he suffered against ATL, certainly not one so severe it would be affecting him now.

Sorry to make it look like a flame and run. I had to run my kid to an event then I watched a HS football game last night. I have a decent post history to show I'm not just here to flame.

In my original post, that's why I was trying to inquire if there was any "rumor" or "substance" to this. Or at least a starting point as to what they were referring to. I don't know what the injury would have been to be that severe. Didn't make sense to me, so thought I'd come to the source and ask you guys if this was something people chattered about at all. As mentioned, O-line concerns can affect a QB's play. (Look at the Vikings last year).

We do have our share of boobs on radio here including our play by play guy "Paul Allen" who came up with this rumor. He's an over-the-top homer. I agree that his production doesn't show injury as I mentioned in my first post. Just wanted to see if this was a rumor people had heard down there.

I would take Brees over Cousins this season and next.

I don't listen to it much, but yesterday with it being the last weekday before the opener I listed for a bit and was just surprised to hear it. That's why I posted. If you listen to TV and Radio people enough, eventually you'll find someone who agrees with exactly what you are thinking, and 20 people who feel differently.

Hello fellow Minnesotan!
I don't think keeping Keenum would have gotten us to the Super Bowl, so rolling the dice was the right option.
If you are saying Keenum might have won more games than Kirk last year, I may agree with you. But no Super Bowl appearance. Had to go for broke with Cousins.

Yeh, a lot of people do hate Sean Payton. And some can't get over 2010 and won't until we make a Super Bowl.

This rumor is completely false. I’ve been to 6 practices this offseason and Brees still looks like old Brees. The man is still elite. And we even saw him in game action and he played flawless in that first drive. Delete this thread.

he sure looked his usual great self during the one drive he had in preseason game 3.

Hey VikesFan2017- good to see ya back! Honestly I should've put a snarky smiley face thing on my post- I've read your posts in the past and thought them to be pretty well thought out and friendly. My bad, and my apologies.

As for Drew I think his numbers and play tonight should put the idea that he is done to rest. You think the radio heads up your way will still think he's done after tonight?

Don't kill the messenger on this one, but just wanted to inquire and share if anyone heard this rumor.

Up here a couple of our radio heads are not picking the Saints to win the division because they had heard an inside scoop that Brees was hit bad in the last Atlanta game, and after watching him, he hasn't been the same, and they don't think he will be the same.

I don't know the hit, but looking at his game logs, he still had some good games including against Pittsburgh.

Has this rumor been flushed out already?
Anyone else hear it?
Personally, I thought he got the shoulder banged up late last year...took a couple of bad sacks...or hits..
and I saw him shaking that shoulder, which, I saw him do that year in Chicago for the championship game,
when it was so freakin cold...Look, I am not saying he is done...just telling what I see...
Last night, the pass of 20 yards or so to Ginn, Ginn had to slow down and wait on it, it was underthrown.
I saw another pass that would have been a longer gain if he had tossed it two more yards...
But, you know, you can't see that the defense is doing to him a lot of times when a pass is not perfect...so..
who knows...my gut feeling, he didn't seem like the same Drew last night...but, he played like a champion, because
he is one....I don't think we will really know for a while where he is at physically...I wish him and the team all the best...
They deserve a ring this year....it is time..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom