Drew Brees says 'I got a few more (years) at least' - NFL.com (1 Viewer)

if only i put that much thought or effort into it.....

but seriously, i almost put a disclaimer on my original comment to ask the knights of drew brees' compensation to hold off on regaling me about what drew "deserves", since that was never part of my statement to begin with, but figured everyone would understand. boy was i wrong.

Hey Turbo! Good Afternoon! This looks like one of those trails where you stepped into quicksand. It's all good brother.

After re-reading Brees' comments, Let's just hope if Brees stays healthy those extra years are playing with us. I didn't see a total commitment to us for his career. If we bag it again next year, which personally I just don't see, would Brees move to a Denver or other team he could add more SB titles?

After re-reading Brees' comments, Let's just hope if Brees stays healthy those extra years are playing with us. I didn't see a total commitment to us for his career. If we bag it again next year, which personally I just don't see, would Brees move to a Denver or other team he could add more SB titles?

i think he would be pretty conflicted on going elsewhere. he's now publicly stated his desire to stay here, but he also really wants another ring. i think ultimately he'd feel like leaving after everything he's said would make him look bad, and would probably just stick it out regardless of how we do next year. but then again, loomis could get stiff with the checkbook and give him an excuse to leave if the wheels fall of in 2017.

then again, if loomis ran off brees he'd probably get tarred and feathered.

Hopefully Drew is one of a small handful of anomalies, but very few HOF QBs make it past the age of 38/39 and still play at an elite level.
You cannot compare today's QBs to those of years ago. There are many more advancements in health and nutrition and these guys have personal trainers, chefs, etc. that take care of their bodies and their health in order to extend their careers. Brady does not appear to be dropping off. I think Brees has at least 3 solid years left. Personally, I want him to retire with the Saints.

You cannot compare today's QBs to those of years ago. There are many more advancements in health and nutrition and these guys have personal trainers, chefs, etc. that take care of their bodies and their health in order to extend their careers. Brady does not appear to be dropping off. I think Brees has at least 3 solid years left. Personally, I want him to retire with the Saints.

There is no evidence to support this yet though. This is a wish until we see it proven otherwise.

Even Peyton Manning experienced the sharp drop-off at age 38/39. One year he was a record-breaking all-pro and the next he was the worst starting QB in football.

I think the fact that the modern qbs don't get crushed in today's game like the older era qbs. That has to be a major factor.

There is no evidence to support this yet though. This is a wish until we see it proven otherwise.

Even Peyton Manning experienced the sharp drop-off at age 38/39. One year he was a record-breaking all-pro and the next he was the worst starting QB in football.

I think his neck injury and no feeling in his fingers had more to do with his drop off than his age.

I think the fact that the modern qbs don't get crushed in today's game like the older era qbs. That has to be a major factor.

I think his neck injury and no feeling in his fingers had more to do with his drop off than his age.

Fair enough. Again though, until we see it, we won't know.

At the end of the day, getting crushed by defenses has nothing to do with arm-strength and velocity waning or hand-eye coordination/reflexes diminishing - these are the things that happen to QBs who "lose it," the game also suddenly becomes too fast for them. I also think that with a QB like Drew, his height disadvantage will suddenly start to play a role once the clock strikes midnight (batted balls, tipped passes resulting in turnovers, etc).

My point is, it hasn't been proven otherwise yet, and the team should be prepared just in case.

At the end of the day, getting crushed by defenses has nothing to do with arm-strength and velocity waning or hand-eye coordination/reflexes diminishing - these are the things that happen to QBs who "lose it," the game also suddenly becomes too fast for them. I also think that with a QB like Drew, his height disadvantage will suddenly start to play a role once the clock strikes midnight (batted balls, tipped passes resulting in turnovers, etc).

My point is, it hasn't been proven otherwise yet, and the team should be prepared just in case.

totally agree about the height disadvantage becoming a bigger factor as he gets older. as far as hits, drews managed to do pretty well in that department, but the sheer volume he's put up, while it's really impressive from a production point, seems like it could definitely have a negative effect as he gets older. this is a guy who trains like a warrior, and puts up more pass attempts than almost any other QB season after season. he's defied the odds so far, so I have faith he can extend his career, but how far is anyone's guess.

Whatever the case is with Brees, I am convinced that the time to start looking for his replacement is now, if the heir apparent is to come from the draft. And I believe that's the way to go now that the WR corps has blossomed. Relying on free agency for a starting QB is dangerous. For every Drew Brees, there are lots of Vince Youngs, Matt Cassels, and Matt Schaubs.

Is Brady not some form of evidence? He's nearly 40. Manning experienced a serious injury to his neck which affected the strength in his arms and hands. If a player experiences a serious injury, everything changes as far as estimating longevity.

Whatever the case is with Brees, I am convinced that the time to start looking for his replacement is now, if the heir apparent is to come from the draft. And I believe that's the way to go now that the WR corps has blossomed. Relying on free agency for a starting QB is dangerous. For every Drew Brees, there are lots of Vince Youngs, Matt Cassels, and Matt Schaubs.

Doubt this is the draft to do it in as this does not appear to be a great crop of QBs.

Is Brady not some form of evidence? He's nearly 40. Manning experienced a serious injury to his neck which affected the strength in his arms and hands. If a player experiences a serious injury, everything changes as far as estimating longevity.

Two things, 1. Brady just turned 39 at the start of the season. 2. He is one of the "small handful of anomalies" I referred to.

Regardless, even Belichik was smart enough to draft a QB in round two in preparation of an eventual sharp decline, just in case.

Again, I am not saying it will DEFINITELY happen in the next year or two; I am just saying we need to be prepared for the statistical probability that it will.

I'm all for Brees playing till he 41 as long as he plays at a high level.

But the Romo and Manning injuries are age related injuries. I talked to Pete about this. Per Pete:

1) As a QB gets older it becomes harder and harder to keep up the muscle mass required to protect neck and spinal injuries
2) At the same time, the QB ages he becomes less flexible. So it becomes a double edged problem of keeping up both strength and flexibility of younger days
3) Spinal and Neck injuries are almost always disk related which impacts nerves. In most cases, these injuries in the discs build up over time. So the jolt to the neck he could handle 5 years ago can now set-off the last piece of disk deterioration to where it's now pinching nerves.

you have valid points. While arm strength is one of the items to deteriorate at an older age, anticipation and touch is Drew's main strength and that is one of the last things to go. But the caveat is being injury free. Peyton was doing well up until his neck injury and 4 operations. He said himself that he lost feeling in his arm and fingers. That had to of had a detriment effect on his throwing motion. Farve was a gunslinger and was not known for his touch. I have to feel that the beating he took over the years had taken a toll on his body and arm/shoulder and that was why he declined so rapidly. Now, I am not saying all qbs will play until they are 45 but it is easier for a qb to play longer now,with all the new nutrition and workout regime. even Drew said himself that he discovered a set of muscles associated with his arm that he didn't know about and started working those to get stronger and now he can make throws now that he couldn't years before. I also believe that it also comes down to genetics. The way he takes care of his body is phenomenal. But you do make a good point about the actual wear and tear of just throwing the ball has to be taken into account on how long he plays. If I recall correctly, he has always had a ruthless workout routine. That also has to help. You can't take an aging qb that relied solely on his arm and start a workout to help his body to suddenly prolong his career to play that much longer. Most older athletes that played into their late 30's or early 40's started their workouts routines early in their career I would believe. But if anyone can do it, it would be Drew and Brady. Back in the day, qbs were typically washed up by their early 30's and it has to be attributed to the pounding they took. Getting slammed on their shoulder and crushing hits that takes it toll on the body.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom