Drew Brees should have won Super Bowl 53! (1 Viewer)

I can tell you this (long story short). Back before the 2009 Super Bowl winning season, I met Sean Payton and he told me, "We are going to the Super Bowl and we are going to win it... And when we do make it, I'm giving you 2 tickets. Don't forget!" This was in Feb before preseason had even started. I watched the Saints go 13-3 and then win the NFC Championship vs the Vikings.

I thought that there was no way he would remember what he had told me. I was very wrong. Shortly after the NFCCG, Fedex delivered 2 tickets for the Super Bowl. I went to Miami and watched the Saints win it! It was very surreal.

The point of telling you all of this? Sean Payton is not a terrible person. He is a man of his word. He is very kind to remember a nobody like me after so long. He had much bigger things to worry about (the Colts) than someone like me.

Now I know who I have to suck up to when we make this run this year...

:hihi:

No offense, but how does talking smack to players make Payton a horrible person?

No offense, but how does talking smack to players make Payton a horrible person?

It certainly doesn't, and off the field, by nearly all accounts, he's a genuinely good guy. Anyone calling him a horrible human being loses all credibility with me.

Payton is Payton. Yes he stoops down to player level once in a while and gets involved in a little trash-smack. I love that about him. Most coaches on all levels throw their noses up and act too high and mighty for things that are "beneath" them and their status. For the most part, his players love him. Those who don't? Well, consider the source, a'hem, hello Junior... Akeim...

Sean is real enough to engage on all levels. The only time he's a real butt is when the media gets stupid with him. That's nice to see them get their due. I mean, come on!!! How many years have they asked him questions? They know which ones are going to set him off. So why ask what you know he won't answer. My only irk with him is when it comes to discussing injuries. But again, we know the routine... and it's understandable.

Most of SP's bad rap comes from the league BS and the national media BS. They've tried to paint him as the bad guy. We in who-dat land know better. But if all you're seeing is the BS you're being fed on a national level... I guess I can understand why you'd feel that way. Again... consider the source(s).
I think this is a really good take on the man and the coach. And as you mentioned at the start of your post, he does indeed get down to 'player level' once in a while. I truly believe that Sean Payton lives vicariously through his team. He's like a dad who wants to see his son excel at the thing(s) he wasn't able to fully accomplish within the framework of what he loves the most in life... football.

As a starry-eyed young man who was willing to cross a strike line in Chicago to play QB for the Bears, it shows me how badly he wanted to be part of the action on the field, rather than just the sideline. Though he has certainly found his niche in the business, there is no doubt that his emotional response to the game is much the same as one of those young athletes who are wearing the uniform.

Does he get carried away sometimes? Yes he does. Has he done some things that I personally wish he had kept to himself? Most definitely. But I wouldn't ever want to lose Coach Payton as much for the emotional fire in his belly as for his technical prowess for the game.

Just look at all the videos of the post game scenes in the locker room after our victories. Sean doesn't just want his players to enjoy their success... he wants to enjoy it with them. Yes, he still wishes he could be a player, and sometimes he may act a bit like one. But I'll take that over some stuffed-shirt X's & O's guy any day!

Your heart was in the right place, Boltsfromtheblue. I can see how Payton's antics can be a turn off for other fans, but the degree of hate for him is misguided. He's not a bad guy. Actually, the opposite. He took his lumps for prematurely taunting the Vikings fans. It's all in good fun.

And because I sympathize with you and San Diego losing their team, you get a pass for dissing Payton. Charger ownership wronged a good, loyal fanbase. I hate seeing that.

If English is your second language, you get a second pass. If not, you need to work on that grammar. That was painful to read.

I agree with the poster above me ⬆️??

I “Meh’d” you, because just who in the “blank” are you to say that Sean Payton is a horrible human being? Do you know him? Ever met him? Had a beer with him? No, then it’s just your opinion. Have you ever thought that he’s competitive and doesn’t care about your feelings. You say that you state things “how they are” and in the next sentence, say “feel”, you’re feelings are not how things are.

Not to mention all of the really cool things he has done for charity sake. Remember when he bought all those Bengals jerseys?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom