Drew Brees stepping away from the pass rush (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed the last few weeks that Drew has been just taking a small step or two and buying sometimes 2-3 extra seconds. He's very good at not panicking when the pass rush gets close and just doing a little to out maneuver the D--and he does it while looking downfield the whole time.

I don't remember seeing another qb doing this so well on a consistent basis. Add incredible pocket awareness to his list of positives.

I have noticed that too. He has great awareness in the pocket and knows how to time the rush so he can escape it. Also, good job on our line to be consistent and not let anyone break into the pocket.

He has made that OLine look so good all year. For a guy that's a bit shorter than ideal, he's moving well in the pocket and locating the open guy real well.

It's a great feeling to be able to have this much faith in our QB. Seems like after those first 2 games he's become aware of everything. Has he fumbled since the Packers game?

I've been saying this for months.
----------------------------------------------
Uncanny pocket presence allows him to slide or move up in the pocket unlike a certain former New Orleans Saints QB.

TPS

Uncanny pocket presence allows him to slide or move up in the pocket unlike a certain former New Orleans Saints QB.

Heath Shuler? Todd Bouman?? Jim Everett??? :ezbill:

I'm glad you like Brees escape ability, I do too.

But he's actually been doing it all year. The guy has the feel for it. It's hard to sack Drew!

But this didn't start in the last few weeks, he's done it most if not all of the season.

And:

"I don't remember seeing another qb doing this so well on a consistent basis."

Favre comes to mind at once, maybe McNair and a couple of others.

Sorry if this comes off wrong, no offense to anyone.

ddd Edit: I spelled Favre's name wrong.

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons he has been so successful. You can't throw the ball if you're laying on the ground, or can you? :_rofl:

Guys, don't take this wrong way, but that dude Brees slides around the pocket with the grace of a ballet dancer. He uses very subtle moves to make dum-dums miss him, and then out comes the ball (most likely a completed pass being that he's completing almost 70%).
I can see him dropping another 300+ against SF, with Deuce throwing in 80-100, and Reggie with about 80 all purpose. I shudder to think about what the score will be. :hihi:

Yup.

The myth is that the great pocket passers are totally immobile. If you look at Peyton Manning or Dan Marino, you see that they always took/take the couple little steps to avoid contact and give themselves another 1-2 seconds in the pocket.

If you want to see a truly immobile quarterback, take a look at some old Scott Mitchell tapes. That guy had feet nailed to the turf. Rob Johnson was another one--he had the wheels, but absolutely no instincts when it came to how to use his feet to avoid pressure.

I love him.

/12

I was watching one game as he was making those little steps just in the nick of time as a guy seemingly completely out of view to him is about to get him and thought, "he's somehow hidden a rear view mirror in his helmet."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom