Drew Brees suffered Rib Contusion (1 Viewer)

I really wonder if a little something wasn't going on prior to the sack. He's been limited for two week and he missed a couple of really easy throws prior to the sack also (like the very bad throw to Thomas across the middle).

Amazing that he finished the first half. After the hit, you could see in his expression that all was not right. He couldn't fake it. Pretty gutsy drive to end the half. And when he was talking to Payton before the second half, I would have sworn the conversation was going the other way. It wasn't until post-game interviews that I learned that Drew pulled himself out and not Payton.

1. Drew injured last year vs. Rams.
a. Result: Teddy has a rough go at it in his first relief action.
b.Going forward: Teddy gets in a full week of practice, and the Saints win 5 straight.

2. Drew injured this year vs. the 49’ers.
a. Result: Jameis has a rough go at it in his first relief action.
b. Going forward: With Carmichael, Lombardi and CSP’s guidance, I believe Jameis will get it done! ✅

JMO

:gosaints:

Plus our schedule is favorable. Falcons x2, Broncos, and Eagles. Jameis is no Brees obviously, but he is more than capable of winning those 4 games. The Falcons ones are up in the air just because of the rivalry, they are never easy games.

Aren't you going to offer up some of your expertise in this matter? If it's a contusion, what is the approximate rehab period?

Bone contusions hurt. You can have excellent pain tolerance but when your body is in overwhelming pain it protects itself...overriding your own foolish desires. Along with the confusion itself the muscles tighten to guard the area...which limits movement/function. That’s likely what was getting in the way for Brees at the half. He’s still getting the MRI to look for fractures and abdominal muscular tears. Granted, I don’t have personal inside info But it’s encouraging that Brees was looking to go at half-time. It tells me that it likely wasn’t 1) a significant surgical fracture situation (displaced rib fracture, clavicle injury, or internal organ damage). The worst case scenario is that there is a significant abdominal muscle tear seen on MRI. Even if there are hairline fractures...he should make it back eventually.

Edit: the number of fractures with the punctured lung is problematic. Not necessarily the end...but a complication and a matter of figuring out the timing.

Last edited:
Bone contusions hurt. You can have excellent pain tolerance but when your body is in overwhelming pain it protects itself...overriding your own foolish desires. Along with the confusion itself the muscles tighten to guard the area...which limits movement/function. That’s likely what was getting in the way for Brees at the half. He’s still getting the MRI to look for fractures and abdominal muscular tears. Granted, I don’t have personal inside info But it’s encouraging that Brees was looking to go at half-time. It tells me that it likely wasn’t 1) a significant surgical fracture situation (displaced rib fracture, clavicle injury, or internal organ damage). The worst case scenario is that there is a significant abdominal muscle tear seen on MRI. Even if there are hairline fractures...he should make it back eventually.
Does a collapsed lung count as internal organ damage?

Does a collapsed lung count as internal organ damage?

Yes, anytime you have a suspected rib injury you are evaluating for liver/spleen injury and punctured lung. Chest x-ray and exam does a good job at that.

Just saw the news...I’m not going to say he’s done but it does get a little more tedious when you have that many rib fractures. The punctured lung will need to heal up...which it should over the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom