Drew Brees the next Peyton Manning (1 Viewer)

A bit of a tangent, but I got laughed down at work a few weeks ago when I suggested that Brees could contend for MVP. You'd have thought I'd suggested Mark Brunell. While I'd agree Brees is still an underdog for the honor, it doesn't seem so far-fetched now.

I almost got in a fight at a poker game the other night because some guy started insulting me for saying that Brees or Tomlinson have a very good chance to take the MVP over Peyton. I think LT has the better shot, but Brees has a chance.

He ended up giving me 5 to 1 odds. I have the field, he has Manning. We bet the $250 I won off of him at poker for the night. Hopefully Peyton keeps throwing up monsters like last week against the mighty Bills.

Mark me down for Manning being a choke artist.

In his life, he's never won the big game. He's good, yeah, but what's the point if you can win when it matters most?

All that ridiculous stuff he does at the line of scrimmage drives me nuts. Does he make great throws? Yeah. Is a great qb? Yeah. But you can't deny that he chokes -- he did it at Tennessee, he does it at Indy. Tee Martin won a championship with Manning's team.

Anybody know if Manning choked at Newman? Did he win a state championship?

It's hard to argue against Peyton, and I respect those that do for trying. The whole "Mannings as Kings" thing has really gotten out of control. Most everyone loves them, and I understand that, but I'll take Drew Brees any day of the week.

He's just as smart, without all the hooplah calling attention to how he's a game technician. There's always been this thing with the Mannings that they need to be recognized. Peyton could be just as good without all the line of scrimmage nonsense, but he has to show everyone how smart he is.

And what was with Eli engineering the draft the way he did? I used to love them like every other homer, but as more evidence trickles in, they look more and more needy. I dunno.

I hope we meet them in the Super Bowl. We'll see who the better qb is.

I almost got in a fight at a poker game the other night because some guy started insulting me for saying that Brees or Tomlinson have a very good chance to take the MVP over Peyton. I think LT has the better shot, but Brees has a chance.

I'm with you -- edge to LT -- though I don't necessarily agree that it should be. Manning and Brees might be the two biggest difference makers on their respective teams in the NFL at this point. And Brees is in a situation that makes his presence even more glaring; being a huge part of drastically better football in New Orleans.

I'm with you -- edge to LT -- though I don't necessarily agree that it should be. Manning and Brees might be the two biggest difference makers on their respective teams in the NFL at this point. And Brees is in a situation that makes his presence even more glaring; being a huge part of drastically better football in New Orleans.

Have you seen LT play lately? Man, he is good. That team is not a playoff team without him, IMO. Same can be said for Manning and Brees, but Tomlinson is the best running back I've ever seen with my own eyes... and I'm old enough to have seen quite a bit of Barry and Emmitt.

These sorts of arguments are fun to watch. I mean, you've got the whole Manning thing about choking, and somehow Ringless Dan Marino, playing for genius head coach and defense lover Don Shula, gets a pass on the issue (I still think of Marino as one of the all-time greats, BTW).

Dan Marino never had the running game that Peyton has enjoyed throughout his entire career, with the arguable exception of this year.

Also, Dan rarely had the aberrantly bad (read: choke) performances that Peyton has had in each of his playoff losses.

In conclusion, Marino (like Peyton) is rightfully regarded as one of the best pure passers in NFL history, yet (like Peyton) he will also have that asterisk next to his name because of the goose egg in his "Super Bowl Wins" column.

And a whole lot of people would take Joe Montana over Marino every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Have you seen LT play lately? Man, he is good. That team is not a playoff team without him, IMO. Same can be said for Manning and Brees, but Tomlinson is the best running back I've ever seen with my own eyes... and I'm old enough to have seen quite a bit of Barry and Emmitt.

Oh, I agree that he's the best back in the league and absolutely a legit MVP candidate again. But in comparing New Orleans and San Diego, the Chargers have an upper echelon defense and they are also getting solid play out of Rivers. And while I'm not trying to underestimate the impact LT has in contributing to his team's success, and for that matter, Rivers' success, you take Brees out of the equation in New Orleans, and this is very likely a bad team -- not just out of the playoff race, but bad. While the Chargers would suffer a huge setback with the loss of LT, I'm not sure their season automatically goes in the tank. Maybe biased logic, and certainly all speculative, but I think a case can be made in the truest sense of a player being most valuable to his team, that Brees has had the far greater impact on his team's fortunes this season of just about any player.

I hate it when people judge a QB based on whether or not he's won Super Bowls.

I'm not saying that's why Peyton is a choker; I'm saying he's a choker because I've watched the playoff games he's lost and and I watched him take the gas.

Marino is the best quarterback who ever lived. You have to watch them play. Rings count, but there ain't no way Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer are even in the same discussion as Marino, so that shows how flawed using rings can be. You can't base everything on that.

So, in summary, Peyton isn't a choker because he doesn't have a ring; Peyton is a choker because he chokes. Maybe he'll fix it this year and I'll have to shut up...

I hate it when people judge a QB based on whether or not he's won Super Bowls.

I'm not saying that's why Peyton is a choker; I'm saying he's a choker because I've watched the playoff games he's lost and and I watched him take the gas.

Exactly.

/12

Mark me down for Manning being a choke artist.

In his life, he's never won the big game. He's good, yeah, but what's the point if you can win when it matters most?

All that ridiculous stuff he does at the line of scrimmage drives me nuts. Does he make great throws? Yeah. Is a great qb? Yeah. But you can't deny that he chokes -- he did it at Tennessee, he does it at Indy. Tee Martin won a championship with Manning's team.

Anybody know if Manning choked at Newman? Did he win a state championship?

It's hard to argue against Peyton, and I respect those that do for trying. The whole "Mannings as Kings" thing has really gotten out of control. Most everyone loves them, and I understand that, but I'll take Drew Brees any day of the week.

He's just as smart, without all the hooplah calling attention to how he's a game technician. There's always been this thing with the Mannings that they need to be recognized. Peyton could be just as good without all the line of scrimmage nonsense, but he has to show everyone how smart he is.

And what was with Eli engineering the draft the way he did? I used to love them like every other homer, but as more evidence trickles in, they look more and more needy. I dunno.

I hope we meet them in the Super Bowl. We'll see who the better qb is.

-couldn't agree more

I have to say, watching the game against the Steelers, I kept thinking Joe Montana and Jerry Rice when I was watching Brees and Colston.

Except that Montana and Rice almost never came up short.

The future looks very bright if the relationship and understanding continue to develop.

God I thought you would say Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson are 2 of the greatest to play in the NFL...close call

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom