Saints Drew Brees trying to come back early. (1 Viewer)

bthomas1

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is reportedly attempting to come back from a thumb injury before the team's bye in Week 9.
Per Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson, Brees is "pushing" to return on Oct. 27 against the Arizona Cardinals, but the Saints are exercising caution with the 12-time Pro Bowler and are looking at their first game out of the bye in Week 10.

The tweet is interesting, but kinda what we already knew -- Drew is in a hurry, the team might or might not be. This type of surgery is totally uncharted territory ... no one knows how long he's "supposed" to be out. Brees may feel great, even throw great and accurately ... but the team still may not have that level of comfort to throw him back out there ASAP.

ASAP plus a week or two is probably more like it. The timing of the bye adds in an extra rest/practice week.

One thing I'm really curious about:

If the coming Cardinals game were the Super Bowl, could Brees play and play well?

If yes, how about the previous week against Chicago (if it were the Super Bowl, that is)?

If Teddy keeps playing well, there's just no reason to hurry. I'd like to see him come back after the bye, unless the offense starts to struggle and it impacts games.

Yeah, with Teddy playing with more confidence and Arizona being a very beatable opponent, I'd be inclined to give him the extra week of rest.

Whenever Drew is ready to come back and is medically cleared to do so, that's when he should come back. Sitting on the sidelines healthy for an extra week or two is stupid. There's no way he'd risk his career coming back early and he just doesn't have the personality to sit out and watch his team play without him. We've trusted Payton and Co. to get us this far and I'll trust them to handle Drew's injury timetable just the same. He'll be plenty rested even if he comes back against AZ for a playoff/Super Bowl run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom