Drew Brees' Value (if he plays in 2020) (1 Viewer)

The way I understand it is:

The $21.3 million is due this year whether he plays or not. To keep it simple, lets say he signs a 1 year $21.3 million deal this year, w/ 100% guaranteed.

He would count $42.6 million against our cap. The Saints could add a voidable year to his contract for 2021, and have $21.3 million count against this year's cap and $21.3 million count against next year's cap. Or divide the $42.6 million between this year and next in some fashion.

@Merl is this correct?

Drews cap hit from the prior signing bonus's will be 15.9 if he has a new deal before the league year. IF he doesn't sign before the start of the league year then another 5.4 accelerates from 2021 to 2020.

If Drew wanted 30 million, he'd have held out for it last year. It's obvious he's not in it to make every penny he can. I don't believe that he would bend us over a barrel. His price, like last year, will be balanced between helping the team and keeping in line with the NFL players union. In their take, a player should always get ever penny he can. I personally don't understand why they're bent that way, but they are. Drew will try to appease both sides.

1. If Drew signs for $25 million or less, we can sign the players we need to continue to compete. After him, each player will have to be handled separately based on their value to us and to other teams. There's no way to know if we'll keep any specific player until that process unfolds. But I'm certain we'll have the cap room by that time to compete for their services.

2. All top 5 QBs have the same issue. All players have bad games or even stretches of bad games. Drew is no different.

3. Drew knows that the more he signs for, the less we have to improve or maintain the roster. I will say that this season, I wouldn't expect the team to bring in any marquee free agents. We'll be up against the cap just trying to maintain the roster and replacing players we lose in the process.

4. There's plenty enough blame to go around in the playoff loss. Drew's 2 turnovers are just 2 of the many things we can point to. To me, the 4th quarter comeback sheds the blame off of the offense some. But to me, the main overall reason we didn't win that game was our OL and DL. The fumble was a direct result of their DL blowing through our OL like it practice dummies on that play.

5. There's an obvious need for upgrade to our WR group. I'm not sure extra cap room would solve the issue though. Other than looking at some potential players right before the playoff so that we'd have a call-list in case of injuries... I haven't seen our coaches look too deep at the WR position, except a few rumors of Green, Sanders, etc... around the trade deadline. It almost makes me believe that SP and company are happy with the guys we have. I wouldn't be surprised if that position doesn't get addressed this offseason to many fans' likings.
1. We agreed on point except you think he should be payed 3-5 million more
2. That’s true however Drew is Drew we’re not talking about all players were talking about a All time great in the playoffs , we’re talking about his legacy whether that’s what you choose to believe or not
3. Our Cap is just fine but good to have low expectations

4.yes there’s blame however not taking the shots needed that’s on Drew,turning the ball over twice in a 20-26 OT game yeah we can put this on The defense if you like but that Game really falls on Drew

5. Were not I rebuild or restart mode were all in I believe a 3 year plan that has turned into a 5 year plan and were in year 4 .

1581270153060.png

What I don't understand is the $5,400,000. What is that and where did it come from?

That number is the change in cap if you cut him. So if you cut Drew you loose 5.4m in cap space.

In other words our cap space already accounts for the 15.9, it isn't accounting for the other 5.4m next year that escalates if you were to cut him (or he retires).

But if he doesn't sign a new deal, my understanding is all of the $21.3M counts against the team's 2020 cap. Correct?
Yes, if a new deal isn't done before the void date then all 21.3 counts against 2020 cap. if he agrees to an extension before that date then it is 15.9 + new salary and a portion of the signing bonus (that will depend on the years the extention covers, but likley 3 years which would be 1/3rd)

Drews cap hit from the prior signing bonus's will be 15.9 if he has a new deal before the league year. IF he doesn't sign before the start of the league year then another 5.4 accelerates from 2021 to 2020.

Dang, I'd love to do a Q&A thread with you on this subject.

But here's the main question... what is the absolute least we could get Drew's cap hit down to this season?

Dang, I'd love to do a Q&A thread with you on this subject.

But here's the main question... what is the absolute least we could get Drew's cap hit down to this season?

That would depend on how much Drew would be willing to sign for and how many voidable years Loomis will tack on. The maximum that a signing bonus can be spread out is 5 years.

My (wild arse) guess is that Drew will sign a deal for 25 mil with 4 in salary and 21 as bonus paid this year but spread out over 3 years in cap hits. That would mean a cap hit this year of 26.9 (15.9 from prior bonus + 4 salary+7 in new bonus), 12.4 next year (5.4 +7), and 7 in 2022.

That would depend on how much Drew would be willing to sign for and how many voidable years Loomis will tack on. The maximum that a signing bonus can be spread out is 5 years.

My (wild arse) guess is that Drew will sign a deal for 25 mil with 4 in salary and 21 as bonus paid this year but spread out over 3 years in cap hits. That would mean a cap hit this year of 26.9 (15.9 from prior bonus + 4 salary+7 in new bonus), 12.4 next year (5.4 +7), and 7 in 2022.

But if he retired after this coming season, wouldn't that 2022 $7 million come due immediately? So the 2021 cap hit would be 19.4?

Whatever happens I am oK with it. If they can somehow get the numbers to benefit the cap so they can sign additional players, Great. If they can't and Brees goes somewhere else, then I will thank him for 14 wonderful years watching this team turn into a consistent contender year in and year out. He has done more in his 14 years than the Saints did in all the years prior to Drew being in New Orleans. We all knew the ride would end sometime and we have to get off and get back in line again to ride. Here's to a winning 2020 season!

Whatever happens I am oK with it. If they can somehow get the numbers to benefit the cap so they can sign additional players, Great. If they can't and Brees goes somewhere else, then I will thank him for 14 wonderful years watching this team turn into a consistent contender year in and year out. He has done more in his 14 years than the Saints did in all the years prior to Drew being in New Orleans. We all knew the ride would end sometime and we have to get off and get back in line again to ride. Here's to a winning 2020 season!
He said he's not playing for anyone but the Saints. Don't remember who the interview was with but he said he's either going to be a Saint or retire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom