Drew Brees' Value (if he plays in 2020) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
This thought hit me while in another thread. If Drew doesn't retire and signs another 1 year deal, would it be for the same $25 million as last season?

I'm not one of those calling him washed up. I think he's still one of the better QBs in the league, but other than efficiency (completion % mainly), he's definitely showing some signs of an aging QB. He's still a winner, and he can still put a team on his shoulders and carry them to a win. Just not as often as he once could. Not as consistently. He arguably requires more talent around him than he did in the past.

So does that factor into what he'll sign for? I remember last year hearing that a team offered him a 2 year $60 million dollar deal, although I don't believe that was confirmed and that team wasn't actually named. IIRC. That being said, if true, then he actually gave us a discount at $25 million. Myself, I believe his contract would again be for $25 million if he doesn't retire. But I think it's at least a real discussion point this year.

For comparison, here's what other QBs cost per year:

Russel Wilson $35 million
Big Ben $34 million
Aaron Rodgers $33.5 million
Jered Goff $33.5 million
Carson Wentz $32 million
Matt Ryan $30 million
Kurt Cousins $28 million
Jimmy Garapolo $27.5 million
Matt Stafford $27 million
Derek Carr $25 million
Tom Brady $23 million
Joe Flacco $22.1 million
Nick Foles $22 million
Phillip Rivers $20.8 million
Cam Newton $20.7 million
Andy Dalton $16 million
Less than this is low-tier QBs and QBs on rookie deals.

Some of these guys are very over-paid to say the least. I'll note that a players value is what he could get from any of the 32 teams, not just the team he's negotiating with. I'm wondering if there's a little room for Drew to give a little extra discount this year? With our cap situation, every little bit would help.

This thought hit me while in another thread. If Drew doesn't retire and signs another 1 year deal, would it be for the same $25 million as last season?

I'm not one of those calling him washed up. I think he's still one of the better QBs in the league, but other than efficiency (completion % mainly), he's definitely showing some signs of an aging QB. He's still a winner, and he can still put a team on his shoulders and carry them to a win. Just not as often as he once could. Not as consistently. He arguably requires more talent around him than he did in the past.

So does that factor into what he'll sign for? I remember last year hearing that a team offered him a 2 year $60 million dollar deal, although I don't believe that was confirmed and that team wasn't actually named. IIRC. That being said, if true, then he actually gave us a discount at $25 million. Myself, I believe his contract would again be for $25 million if he doesn't retire. But I think it's at least a real discussion point this year.

Big Ben $34 million
Jered Goff $33.5 million
Carson Wentz $32 million
Matt Ryan $30 million
Kurt Cousins $28 million
Derek Carr $25 million
Tom Brady $23 million
Joe Flacco $22.1 million
Nick Foles $22 million
Cam Newton $20.7 million
Andy Dalton $16 million

Some of these guys are very over-paid to say the least. I'll note that a players value is what he could get from any of the 32 teams, not just the team he's negotiating with. I'm wondering if there's a little room for Drew to give a little extra discount this year? With our cap situation, every little bit would help.

It's really hard to set a value for a one-year QB. A lot of those guys have their youth and future baked into their cost (Goff, Wentz, Jimmy).

He's probably "worth" $30mm for one year, even if you assume he'll continue to decline a bit. He will probably still be a top 10 QB at worst. But it's really a matter of how badly he wants to win a Super Bowl vs. making even more money.

Big Ben $34 million
Jered Goff $33.5 million
Carson Wentz $32 million
Matt Ryan $30 million
Kurt Cousins $28 million
Derek Carr $25 million
Tom Brady $23 million
Joe Flacco $22.1 million
Nick Foles $22 million
Cam Newton $20.7 million
Andy Dalton $16 million

He'll make $25 million at the very least. He'll sign a 2 year deal with the 2nd year voidable. Hopefully this will allow us to push half of that money to next year, but with his $20 million in dead-money, he's still going to count $33 million or so against the cap.

The fact that Drew can still put a team on his back and win is what worries me most. The rest of the team, including Payton, needs to step it up and just let Drew manage the game and empower other members to be the ones that win it for us. If Drew can prove that this model works, then there is hope for his successors.

For academics only... Say the 70/30 Drew/Taysom thing is real. Taysom can be retained on either a 1st or 2nd round tender for one season. So lets say it's a 1st for 4.5 million. If the dual-ish system is real and Drew agrees to it, would he agree to a 70/30 pay adjustment? If nothing else, he'd have a legitimate stance as far as the players' union goes. Of course that would put him at $17.5 million and I think that's far too low. But it does give the issue some perspective.

For the record, I'm not buying the 70/30 split and I'm not sure where that number even came from. I think that if Taysom is the plan at QB going forward, that he might see a few more snaps at QB, but less at RB, WR, TE, and Special Teams.

But is it too far a stretch to say that Drew might agree to $23 million like Tom Brady? or even less likely, but $20 million like Cam Newton or Phillip Rivers? Surely he'd at least want to help free up some cap space to help keep guys like Jenkins, Rankins, Onyemata, and possibly even Alvin Kamara. I know he feels restricted somewhat in how much of a discount he can give the team due to his long-standing with the players union, but I'm of a mind that if he does decide to return for one more season, his motivation will be for one more shot at the big prize, not as much for personal gain (other than maybe holding Brady off of his records).

My concern is for the kicking money down the road like we did this past year. The whole situation is complicated. Even if you make TH QB2, you eliminate his multi position use because you have can't your backup QB at TE with 41 QB starting. There will be another QB on the roster, FA or draft.

I think it will be 30 mil. That's a team discount. He's a top 5 QB in the league decline or not. Stats and film grading both agree with that. A top 5 QB should make more than 30 million.

As another bullet point, spotrac put a 36.5m market value on him.

I think it will be 30 mil. That's a team discount. He's a top 5 QB in the league decline or not. Stats and film grading both agree with that. A top 5 QB should make more than 30 million.

No way I'm paying him that. It sounds like we're in a similar boat as the Pats except Brady took discounts before. People may not like it but I don't think Drew is a Top 5 QB currently. My top five now are PM, LJ, DW, RW, and number 5 is debatable.

No way I'm paying him that. It sounds like we're in a similar boat as the Pats except Brady took discounts before. People may not like it but I don't think Drew is a Top 5 QB currently. My top five now are PM, LJ, DW, RW, and number 5 is debatable.

Jackson is awesome if he doesn't have to throw too much.

Brady played for 23 million/yr. That was 4 years ago. At that time, it wasn't that much of a discount. AND Robert Kraft funneled money into a business that Brady owned. NFL said "nothing to see here".

Drew was reportedly offered a 2 year 60 million deal last year by some unnamed team. 30 million a year. Drew signed with us for 25 million. That's as much of a discount as Brady ever gave. Funny how spin works and storylines stick.

I don't see Drew playing for less or more than he played for last year. If he was out to get the most money he could get, he would've left last season.

I really think if he plays again, it'll be for 1 year 25 million again.

Is there really a number the saints will say no to from drew?

Honest question

Who is DW? The Jets QB?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom