Drew Brees' Value (if he plays in 2020) (1 Viewer)

Brady played for 23 million/yr. That was 4 years ago. At that time, it wasn't that much of a discount. AND Robert Kraft funneled money into a business that Brady owned. NFL said "nothing to see here".

Drew was reportedly offered a 2 year 60 million deal last year by some unnamed team. 30 million a year. Drew signed with us for 25 million. That's as much of a discount as Brady ever gave. Funny how spin works and storylines stick.
Where was it reported he was offered 2/60 deal? I don't believe it or he would have taken it.

I think it will be 30 mil. That's a team discount. He's a top 5 QB in the league decline or not. Stats and film grading both agree with that. A top 5 QB should make more than 30 million.

As another bullet point, spotrac put a 36.5m market value on him.
He should get no more than 18 with a bunch of incentives. We need help a lot in FA.

If Drew wants 30 million you let Drew retire or walk.
1. we can’t pay Drew and upgrade/ resign the players we need
2. Drew is still Top 5 , but with a note In it he has his downfalls but when he’s on he’s easily Top 3, when he’s not or out schemed can fall to the 7-10 range
3. Drew as a player has to realize if he wants that ring he has to take a hit that 10 million can be used to sign Him a Top tier FA WR(Green,Sanders,Perriman,Anderson)
4.Wildcard game D gave it up at the end but it was Drew who put us in that situation with his 2 critical TO
5. You complain and talk about WRs living up and dropping passes not getting open (Ginn,Smith) how about you give the team some wiggle room so we all can be riding off in the sunset on top when the 2020 season is said and done.

If Drew wants 30 million you let Drew retire or walk.
1. we can’t pay Drew and upgrade/ resign the players we need
2. Drew is still Top 5 , but with a note In it he has his downfalls but when he’s on he’s easily Top 3, when he’s not or out schemed can fall to the 7-10 range
3. Drew as a player has to realize if he wants that ring he has to take a hit that 10 million can be used to sign Him a Top tier FA WR(Green,Sanders,Perriman,Anderson)
4.Wildcard game D gave it up at the end but it was Drew who put us in that situation with his 2 critical TO
5. You complain and talk about WRs living up and dropping passes not getting open (Ginn,Smith) how about you give the team some wiggle room so we all can be riding off in the sunset on top when the 2020 season is said and done.

If Drew wanted 30 million, he'd have held out for it last year. It's obvious he's not in it to make every penny he can. I don't believe that he would bend us over a barrel. His price, like last year, will be balanced between helping the team and keeping in line with the NFL players union. In their take, a player should always get ever penny he can. I personally don't understand why they're bent that way, but they are. Drew will try to appease both sides.

1. If Drew signs for $25 million or less, we can sign the players we need to continue to compete. After him, each player will have to be handled separately based on their value to us and to other teams. There's no way to know if we'll keep any specific player until that process unfolds. But I'm certain we'll have the cap room by that time to compete for their services.

2. All top 5 QBs have the same issue. All players have bad games or even stretches of bad games. Drew is no different.

3. Drew knows that the more he signs for, the less we have to improve or maintain the roster. I will say that this season, I wouldn't expect the team to bring in any marquee free agents. We'll be up against the cap just trying to maintain the roster and replacing players we lose in the process.

4. There's plenty enough blame to go around in the playoff loss. Drew's 2 turnovers are just 2 of the many things we can point to. To me, the 4th quarter comeback sheds the blame off of the offense some. But to me, the main overall reason we didn't win that game was our OL and DL. The fumble was a direct result of their DL blowing through our OL like it practice dummies on that play.

5. There's an obvious need for upgrade to our WR group. I'm not sure extra cap room would solve the issue though. Other than looking at some potential players right before the playoff so that we'd have a call-list in case of injuries... I haven't seen our coaches look too deep at the WR position, except a few rumors of Green, Sanders, etc... around the trade deadline. It almost makes me believe that SP and company are happy with the guys we have. I wouldn't be surprised if that position doesn't get addressed this offseason to many fans' likings.

With Drew's (unavoidable?) voidable year(s) hit of $21.3M in 2020, even if he stays and plays an additional year for only $25M, his 2020 cap hit would be $46.3M.

Reasonably, how could Mickey come up with the available cap space and afford both Drew and extensions to several key players that are becoming eligible for an extension.

With Drew's (unavoidable?) voidable year(s) hit of $21.3M in 2020, even if he stays and plays an additional year for only $25M, his 2020 cap hit would be $46.3M.

Reasonably, how could Mickey come up with the available cap space and afford both Drew and extensions to several key players that are becoming eligible for an extension.
Only guessing but lets say Drew signs for 2 years at $30 million for each year and have it spread over three years with the last year being less dead money and we know the cap will grow. He will be owed $21.3 + 30 + 30 = $81.3 million for the next 2 years. . Could he be paid $12 the first year plus his $21.3, then $33 next year and then leaves $15 million in dead money when the cap will likely be $10-$15 more that is is today. Or is $33 million too much to pay him over the next two seasons.

Only guessing but lets say Drew signs for 2 years at $30 million for each year and have it spread over three years with the last year being less dead money and we know the cap will grow. He will be owed $21.3 + 30 + 30 = $81.3 million for the next 2 years. . Could he be paid $12 the first year plus his $21.3, then $33 next year and then leaves $15 million in dead money when the cap will likely be $10-$15 more that is is today. Or is $33 million too much to pay him over the next two seasons.
Drew is not owed the $23.1M... he's already been paid that. It's dead money against the 2020 cap... And then, you have to pay Drew and more money will count against the cap.

Mickey has dug this hole and the tax collector is on his way.

If Drew agrees to a new deal before the start of the league year then the $21.3M lowers to $15.9M in 2020 and $5.4 in 2021. I have stated this in numerous threads and for some reason everyone still thinks that his dead money this year regardless is $21.3M.

Any new deal done before the league year starts will likely add another year or 2 beyond 2021 with a void clause for the start of the 2021 season that will allow Loomis to spread out the majority of the payment as a signing bonus over 3-4 years like last years extension.

Just because Matt Ryan is getting 30 mil, I'd say Brees deserves every bit of it. I'd think he'll take a discount to play one more year, though.

If Drew agrees to a new deal before the start of the league year then the $21.3M lowers to $15.9M in 2020 and $5.4 in 2021. I have stated this in numerous threads and for some reason everyone still thinks that his dead money this year regardless is $21.3M.

Any new deal done before the league year starts will likely add another year or 2 beyond 2021 with a void clause for the start of the 2021 season that will allow Loomis to spread out the majority of the payment as a signing bonus over 3-4 years like last years extension.
But if he doesn't sign a new deal, my understanding is all of the $21.3M counts against the team's 2020 cap. Correct?

The way I understand it is:

The $21.3 million is due this year whether he plays or not. To keep it simple, lets say he signs a 1 year $21.3 million deal this year, w/ 100% guaranteed.

He would count $42.6 million against our cap. The Saints could add a voidable year to his contract for 2021, and have $21.3 million count against this year's cap and $21.3 million count against next year's cap. Or divide the $42.6 million between this year and next in some fashion.

@Merl is this correct?

1581270153060.png

What I don't understand is the $5,400,000. What is that and where did it come from?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom