Drew Brees vs the Media (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've been a Drew Brees fan since 2005, I have watched him grow from a game managing QB to an all time great. What I have seen over the years is that the media really has no respect for him. They always say he's a hall of famer, but in the same breath they tear down his legacy (this also seems to happen with Brady as well). He's the only QB that has to win two SB rings to lament his legacy, though Rodgers only has one. The MVPs should not be included in why you are great, because clearly the award is subjective to the panel. Brees should have won it in 2006 (LTs one yard TDs was not impressive at all IMO) and 2009 (Manning definitely should not have gotten it. If not Brees, it should've been Peterson). Brees' stats and one ring alone should lament his legacy as one of the all time greats. Anyway here are some of examples as to why I feel Brees success is been discredited (this is by memory only).

1. Drew Brees broke Dan Marino's record. The media including Marino himself came up with "game rule changes," and "pass attempts per year" or any QB can throw that many yards in this day and age. Which no one was doing it at the time, but Brees. Then when Peyton Manning broke the record it was a completely different discussion. They gave respect and praised Manning for doing it, like he wasn't getting those stats in garbage time or not benefiting from the same rule changes.

2. Similar to first point. Brees was also high in yards/attempts per season. Media stated Rodgers TD;INT ratio was more impressive than the yards stats. I have seen plenty of GB/INDY-DEN/NE games where the game is out of reach and QBs are still in the game padding on stats, but that's not comparable to playing from behind apparently. I was not impressed with Rodgers breaking the TD;INT ratio record, because Brady literally just broke the record not too long before. Brees breaking Marino's 50 year old record was more impressive, but that's debatable. Anyway, fast forward to 2018. Maholmes is throwing the ball miles more than Brees, and Brees has the great TD; INT ratio, but now getting all these yards are important to become MVP. No one person looked at Maholmes attempts per season and made the same argument regarding his passing yards, because it did not fit their narrative. Another way to present Brees as undeserving.

3. Also to the same year of the MVP debate between Malhomes/Brees debate in 2018. Those analyst were literally acting like Brees had an all star team with Kamara and Thomas vs Maholmes who had Hunt, Hill, Watkins, and Kelce. The media never brought up the fact that Maholmes was playing on an all elite team Vs Brees who has one real receiver and a RB as screen pass saver to make a good debate in Brees' favor. During those debates the yards stats suddenly mattered, but never did when Brees was getting them.

4. Drew Brees has an offensive genius in Sean Payton. Aaron Rodgers had Mike McCarthey and Patrick Maholmes has Andy Reid, but somehow Brees is the only one that benefits from having a great offensive coach.

5. The Dome QB discussions. Brees plays great outside. The media has never provided stats or games to indicate that Brees plays poor outdoors. Nor have they ever attached the dome QB stigma to Peyton Manning. Not to mention no dome QB in the league is as great as Drew Brees.

6. Brady is known for making no name receivers look great...like Brees hasn't been doing the same thing throughout his career. Brees has never had what the media would call a GREAT receiver. Colson was an amazing receiver, but I don't believe he would be that good had he been with another QB that's not of Brees stature. Also to stick with the Brady/Brees thing. Even this year when Brady had hurt weapons they use that excuse as to why Brady was playing horrible in some games. Brees barely had a game this season where the whole team was healthy at the same time.

I feel that no one ever provides a good debate as to why Drew Brees is great. Brees is suppose to have this disadvantage giving his size. Most QBs his height are running QBs. I'm impressed with how quickly Brees scans the field to find the open receiver. His quick release through his career has made his O-line look better than they actually was. The fact that he could see the open deep receiver down the field behind this tall wall (olinemen) and make the accurate throw is very impressive. Brees throws his receivers open and give them an opportunity to get to the spot to make the play. His accuracy and consistency to stay great every year is something most QBs cannot do. Now don't get me wrong Brees is not a perfect QB. He has turned the ball over due to force throws or refusals to take sacks, and I use to hate that mess. But Brees has modified his game the past 4-5 years to play smarter and less reckless. I just really don't understand why the media does not give him his due. What are some of ya'lls thoughts regarding the media discredit of Brees? Am I the only who sees this?

Great post and I’m not sure why he is not getting more “respect “ and honestly don’t care what the media thinks. We tend to play better when we are supposed to lose.

In a way, I think he is perceived as kind of boring. No super model wife(sort of), no fancy commercials and of course no side arm throws! The Saints were a great story in 2006 & 2009, but just like the NBA is about dunks nowadays, the NFL highlights tend to favor the deep TD passes. Brees has broken so many records that they can’t even keep track, so it is just not that exciting anymore. When you read other forums, people keep repeating that Brees has lost his arm strength and isn’t all that good anymore. Just like the media is kind of portraying.

However, football fans still enjoy watching Brees and the Saints and the ratings confirm it. Now let’s go and crush Brady for a 10th time this season.

Great post and I’m not sure why he is not getting more “respect “ and honestly don’t care what the media thinks. We tend to play better when we are supposed to lose.

In a way, I think he is perceived as kind of boring. No super model wife(sort of), no fancy commercials and of course no side arm throws! The Saints were a great story in 2006 & 2009, but just like the NBA is about dunks nowadays, the NFL highlights tend to favor the deep TD passes. Brees has broken so many records that they can’t even keep track, so it is just not that exciting anymore. When you read other forums, people keep repeating that Brees has lost his arm strength and isn’t all that good anymore. Just like the media is kind of portraying.

However, football fans still enjoy watching Brees and the Saints and the ratings confirm it. Now let’s go and crush Brady for a 10th time this season.

I think the NBA analogy is a great one. Basically, Brees is the Tim Duncan of the NFL. A player who extracted more production from his talent than any other player at his position but because of his demeanor/style he’s often subconsciously downgraded.

Ive come to grips with the fact that Brees won’t be fully appreciated until some of these younger guys hang them up and the media sees how remarkable Brees’ career has been.

Brees was drafted in 2001 the same year Mike Vick was picked at #1...Brees was the very next QB picked at the top of the second rd...Brees was never supposed to be anywhere as good as the mighty Mike Vick so they just underrate da hell of everything he does to save face I guess? Who really knows but it makes the league look like a bunch of fanboy Nancys

What really pisses me off is their lack of research regarding lack of Super Bowl appearances. They barely acknowledge the Rams bad call but what frosts me is all the appearances caused by terrible collapses by Saints defenses. Brees has played great in a lot of playoff losses where he got team late lead and defense let him down.

Brees was drafted in 2001 the same year Mike Vick was picked at #1...Brees was the very next QB picked at the top of the second rd...Brees was never supposed to be anywhere as good as the mighty Mike Vick so they just underrate da hell of everything he does to save face I guess? Who really knows but it makes the league look like a bunch of fanboy Nancys
You may have hit the nail on the head with this post. People in general don't like having what they think to be true to be challenged and it is especially true in the world of sports. Vick was the prototype of what is supposed to be sure thing for a qb. He had the cannon arm with insane athletic ability. He was going to be the future of the league. Then you had Brees who was considered too short and his arm wasn't great. Now 20 years later Brees is still playing at a high level, owns most of the passing records and is a first ballot hall of fame. Vick has been out of the league a few years now and even without all the off the field issues he never would have reached Brees' level. I think the media or most of them anyway have an image of what a franchise QB should look like and Brees doesn't match that image.

I respect your effort in this. But personally I feel like it’s not worth the trouble. Best QB ever is so subjective that all the arguments in the world will do little to change opinions. Just realize how lucky we have been to watch one of the best ever.
This is how I feel now. I used to get enraged with this argument and have everything hung set up for others but they don’t care and won’t listen. It’s not worth the time and stress. People believe what they want. We ALL KNOW he’s the goat and that’s all that really matters.

You may have hit the nail on the head with this post. People in general don't like having what they think to be true to be challenged and it is especially true in the world of sports. Vick was the prototype of what is supposed to be sure thing for a qb. He had the cannon arm with insane athletic ability. He was going to be the future of the league. Then you had Brees who was considered too short and his arm wasn't great. Now 20 years later Brees is still playing at a high level, owns most of the passing records and is a first ballot hall of fame. Vick has been out of the league a few years now and even without all the off the field issues he never would have reached Brees' level. I think the media or most of them anyway have an image of what a franchise QB should look like and Brees doesn't match that image.

When it comes to sports "prototypes," Brees must be the uncomfortable truth

The fact Cam Newton and Matt Ryan got MVP and Brees didn't proves it's all BS...

Meh. I don't agree. I don't care much about the award,but I think both of those players deserved to win the year they won. Brees has just had bad luck. Every year he's had an mvp caliber year one of the media darlings were also having a good year.

It's part of the reason I thoroughly hate our collective "society." People can filter out the truth. Keep the parts they want. Say it ad nauseum, and it becomes gospel.

They do this with everything, e.g "Children are a blessing." Repeating crap without even thinking about what it really means or if it's even true.

Anyway, it has never made sense why the same talking heads will dismiss Drew's accomplishments and praise another QB for doing the exact same thing. Someone point blank asked Marino if Drew could've broken the record playing during his time, and Marino said no.

Why does no one entertain the reverse line of thinking? Is Marino smart enough of a QB to get those yards considering the complexity of today's DEFENSES?

As if the game stood still in every facet except rules that benefitted QBs?

I have all kinds of theories as to why they collectively diminish Drew's positioning. As recently as 2014, they only referred to him as 'POTENTIAL Hall of Famer, Drew Brees.'

Ultimately, I chalk it up to stupidity. A form of pluralistic ignorance. People too lazy to objectively analyze the facts and apply critical thinking.

It's part of the reason I thoroughly hate our collective "society." People can filter out the truth. Keep the parts they want. Say it ad nauseum, and it becomes gospel.

They do this with everything, e.g "Children are a blessing." Repeating crap without even thinking about what it really means or if it's even true.

Anyway, it has never made sense why the same talking heads will dismiss Drew's accomplishments and praise another QB for doing the exact same thing. Someone point blank asked Marino if Drew could've broken the record playing during his time, and Marino said no.

Why does no one entertain the reverse line of thinking? Is Marino smart enough of a QB to get those yards considering the complexity of today's DEFENSES?

As if the game stood still in every facet except rules that benefitted QBs?

I have all kinds of theories as to why they collectively diminish Drew's positioning. As recently as 2014, they only referred to him as 'POTENTIAL Hall of Famer, Drew Brees.'

Ultimately, I chalk it up to stupidity. A form of pluralistic ignorance. People too lazy to objectively analyze the facts and apply critical thinking.
Well technically he is still just a potential HOFer. If I were in the HOF, i’d be po’d every time they reffered to someone as a HOFer who was not actually in the HOF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom