Drew Brees vs. Wade Phillips' Defense (1 Viewer)

SilverSaint

All-World
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about the game this weekend and did a little research to see how Drew has fared against Wade Phillips over the years. First, I found out that they were both with the San Diego Chargers from 2003 - 2005 which I thought was interesting. I also found an interesting quote from Phillips from 2012 that Drew was the greatest passer of all-time.

Drew has 2 wins vs 3 losses. I am pretty sure that Denver loss is the one where they blocked the extra point and returned it for 2 points to win the game. His numbers are fairly consistent with his career averages with the Saints with the exception of sacks which are 2.4 per game against Phillips vs 1.5 per game. Drew has never lit up a Wade Phillips coached defense and I really would not expect him to this week. We will stay balanced like we have all season and take what they give us. I think we get a big advantage in the dome this weekend with the crowd noise and while Aaron Donald and Suh are difficult to handle, I think our offensive line will be healthy and ready to play.

Here is a detailed breakdown of the numbers:

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
I got to thinking about the game this weekend and did a little research to see how Drew has fared against Wade Phillips over the years. First, I found out that they were both with the San Diego Chargers from 2003 - 2005 which I thought was interesting. I also found an interesting quote from Phillips for 2012 that Drew was the greatest passer of all-time.

Drew has 2 wins vs 3 losses. I am pretty sure that Denver loss is the one where they blocked the extra point and returned it for 2 points to win the game. His numbers are fairly consistent with his career averages with the Saints with the exception of sacks which are 2.4 per game against Phillips vs 1.5 per game. Drew has never lit up a Wade Phillips coached defense and I really would not expect him to this week. We will stay balanced like we have all season and take what they give us. I think we get a big advantage in the dome this weekend with the crowd noise and while Aaron Donald and Suh are difficult to handle, I think our offensive line will be healthy and ready to play.

Here is a detailed breakdown of the numbers:

Capture2.PNG

Well, their secondary isn’t good AT ALL. So, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him have better numbers than normal against a Phillips lead defense.

That Denver game was a win without one of the most ridiculous things happening I've ever seen in a game.

The dude was clearly out of bounds, yet the refs refused to overturn the call.

That Denver game was a win without one of the most ridiculous things happening I've ever seen in a game.

The dude was clearly out of bounds, yet the refs refused to overturn the call.
Also missed the contact with the long snapper. We got really screwed in that call. Funny thing... New York made the decision on the review.

So glad we are past those days. That game was a tough one to swallow.

Attachments

• thumb-17-500x262.jpg
    thumb-17-500x262.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 35
Honestly I would take his "Wade average" of 25/37 for 313 with 2 TD/1 INT and 2 sacks.

I think he will do better than that in terms of completion % but with fewer yards and sacks now that we can actually run the ball consistently.

Judging by the fact that the Rams D is giving up 4.8 yards a carry and I’m pretty sure time of possession will be key in this game considering how powerful the Rams offense is then that leads me to believe we’re gonna run it down their throat all day long so I think Drew just needs to be efficient and mistake free for us to come out with a W. The Rams linebackers are also a major liability in coverage so I expect the screen game to work really well for us in route to a season defining statement victory. WHO DAT BABY!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom