Drew Brees was non-committal when asked if Jameis can be the guy to lead the franchise (paraphrasing) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.

It definitely would help to not get this misconstrued if someone could rip the conversation to YouTube for us. I was just getting to watch our game when SNF came on.

I do not think that Drew would intentionally indicate that he might not be the guy. He wouldn’t do that whether it was JW or Hill at QB - he does nothing but support those guys.

Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.
Yes I saw and heard everything. And I agree with all of it. He said exactly the same thing most people said here for the past few weeks. It takes time. I see how people on Twitter get their feeling all hurt just because he was just a tad critical of his old team.

Drew put it in Russ Wilson’s ear about playing for the Saints when they trained together. While I’m not 100% sure that actually happened, but 100% sure that I made that up. However, how could that not come up in conversation between the two?

Last edited:
Drew put it in Russ Wilson’s ear about playing for the Saints when they trained together. While I’m not 100% sure that actually happened, but 100% that I made that up. However, how could that not come up in conversation between the two?
I’m 100 percent in agreement with the parts that you are 💯 on.

It does take time....Drew was correct. In fact, we werent sure if Drew was the guy 2006 to 2008ish, tbh, and he caught some backlash as well....especially throwing INTs. He knows that it takes time and if Jameis + Sean can get the timing down, he has a great shot. I always say, we need to see what happens in playoffs. Drew got to SB once..and that didnt happen until 2009/2010.

Jameis has leeway

It does take time....Drew was correct. In fact, we werent sure if Drew was the guy 2006 to 2008ish, tbh, and he caught some backlash as well....especially throwing INTs. He knows that it takes time and if Jameis + Sean can get the timing down, he has a great shot. I always say, we need to see what happens in playoffs. Drew got to SB once..and that didnt happen until 2009/2010.

Jameis has leeway

It doesn’t mean it didn’t happen but I don’t remember much negative talk about Brees in his first few years. We had been in QB hell for too long to not appreciate him for what he was. Heck, Billy Joe Neck and Billy Joe Knee were not even out of mind yet.

I did see it. I also thought he should be one to know this isn't an offense that you can have master control by your first week running it.

I've been saying for awhile it's going to take time. It's a work in progress. It's pretty clear as of now Winston is very comfortable letting it fly deep.

Brees noted the intermediate passing is what hasn't been there. That's been the area I've seen Winston hesitate on the most. Most of our offense is based on timing. Trust in the receiver is going to be in the spot Winston is throwing to.

Then add Thomas and Smith and that process could take longer cause Winston has yet to build any relationship with those two in the passing game.

It doesn’t mean it didn’t happen but I don’t remember much negative talk about Brees in his first few years. We had been in QB hell for too long to not appreciate him for what he was. Heck, Billy Joe Neck and Billy Joe Knee were not even out of mind yet.
2007 was pretty spicy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom