Drew Brees was non-committal when asked if Jameis can be the guy to lead the franchise (paraphrasing) (1 Viewer)

I expect a QB drafted high next year. Hopefully we get Matt Corral if he declares.
Matt Corral probably the 1st QB off the board.

I hope we avoid Spenser Rattler at all cost.

Malik Willis looks like the guy within reach, but he's a super raw prospect. Really high ceiling low floor.

I saw I needed to see about Drew’s feelings on Jameis during their interaction at the end of the Bucs game.

You don’t speak that passionately, in one of your toughest professional moments, to someone you don’t believe in.

I doubt his opinion has changed and I highly doubt that any vague comments about patience were meant to infer any sort of doubt about what Jameis can do here.

Well, some people were just loud about it. There weren't many outside of a few message board trolls saying that kind of thing.
This---I don't recall anything at all, and certainly no one was saying we should be looking elsewhere. He was one year removed from being MVP runner up

i didn’t get anything negative from what brees said…. Just that coach and qb1 are still learning each other’s tendencies….
just like anyone else who starts a new job. you can say that they practiced, but remember that Jameis has not started a game and hasn’t had any real game action with this coach until now.
for reference, what was brady’s numbers to start the year last year?

Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.
could be he do not want them to win without him.

Jameis winston has more natural talent than drew, it just needs to be harnessed( and no better guy than sean peyton for the job). Winston is great at every level of the field. and is one of the best qbs outside the pocket, and is historically one of the best qbs at converting 3rd downs in nfl history

Winstons only problem in the past has been playing too much hero ball. But he understands nfl concepts and is a threat at every level on the field

He's not a soothsayer.
lol, for real

Had he said yeah I think all the problems the offense is experiencing with Jameis will cease after our next game and he's going to be better than I ever was, I would be concerned about Drew's mental state.

Not sure what we are looking for here.

How could he be anything but noncommittal with that?

He sees the offense struggle to find rhythm. He knows what Sean typically tries to do with the offensive schemes. He also knows better than anyone that it is a complex system to master.

“It takes time” is basically saying TO THE FANS keep your expectations realistic and reasonable while he goes through this process.

At least that’s how I see it.

In an environment that's all about credibility... It's career suicide to make any take for him, right now. Nobody would let him live it down if Winston bust or gets replaced in a year.

I didn't find the SNF clip but he says something similar here. It was posted an hour ago so I'm assuming it's a recent take.

Not sure how anyone that has followed the Saints closely would be surprised by anything Brees said. I've been saying it for months. It's going to be baby steps. There are 4 aspects here. Jameis as a person being more mature and aware of himself as a person. So far he is passing that test with flying colors. As a leader of the team and the way he conducts himself as a QB and leader of the team on and off the field. So far he has been exceptional here. The next step is building the relationship with Payton and Payton's offense. This is like a marriage and takes a ton of time. So far from all accounts this has been a healthy, growing relationship.

That leaves actually playing QB. Jameis has done almost everything asked of him. Nobody expected perfection but growth is required. He is making fewer bone headed mistakes but still making 1-2 a game. Payton is going to continually add stuff to his plate and Jameis is going to have to keep improving. If he can get down to 1 mistake a game by the end of the season then this team is going to make a deep playoff run and Jameis is going to make a ton of money.

Playing QB in the NFL is a lifestyle, especially for an offensive mind like Payton.

It definitely would help to not get this misconstrued if someone could rip the conversation to YouTube for us. I was just getting to watch our game when SNF came on.

I do not think that Drew would intentionally indicate that he might not be the guy. He wouldn’t do that whether it was JW or Hill at QB - he does nothing but support those guys.
That's why I made sure to state I was paraphrasing. All I am saying is he was Non-committal when asked.

That's why I made sure to state I was paraphrasing. All I am saying is he was Non-committal when asked.
Yea I’m with you. I wasn’t faulting you, I was just hoping someone may have caught it on DVR. Besides that, “it takes time” is the correct answer. I’m betting Drew was focused on getting that across rather than saying it isn’t JW. But Drew has not been doing this long either so maybe he didn’t express himself well enough.

I watched that elongated halftime report and one thing Brees pointed out that was missing within the offense was the intermediate passing game. It was inconsistent to nonexistent in his eyes.

I watched that elongated halftime report and one thing Brees pointed out that was missing within the offense was the intermediate passing game. It was inconsistent to nonexistent in his eyes.
Our biggest intermediate threat had an amazingly bad offseason and should be back soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom