Drew Brees was non-committal when asked if Jameis can be the guy to lead the franchise (paraphrasing) (3 Viewers)

It’s amazing how people just look for anything to start trouble. Reporters, posters, etc. Just let Drew do his job as an analyst and leave the Saints alone. He’s no longer an active part of the team. Glad he didn’t lean towards or against.

Our biggest intermediate threat had an amazingly bad offseason and should be back soon.
I'd even venture to say that offense still has/had training wheels on it because of the injuries at WR and having to d women's on young unproven player to replace the talent of Thomas and Intangibles of TQS.

Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.
Drew was absolutely right about “it takes time.” That wasn’t a slap in the face to Jamies. With all of the injuries, it’s been somewhat rocky. People need to quit trying to read into the situation something that’s not there.

Least the one thing Winston will never have to worry about is the recent made up BS stat "Air yards" that was created just to criticize a declining Drew Brees. Never even heard of that stat until Brees deep ball game began to decline rapidly.

It does take time....Drew was correct. In fact, we werent sure if Drew was the guy 2006 to 2008ish, tbh, and he caught some backlash as well....especially throwing INTs. He knows that it takes time and if Jameis + Sean can get the timing down, he has a great shot. I always say, we need to see what happens in playoffs. Drew got to SB once..and that didnt happen until 2009/2010.

Jameis has leeway
I have to disagree with you on Drew. I knew he was the guy in 06 after the first few games. By October as I recall. He did go to the NFC Championship game that year. Now I do agree that he said Jameis needs more time, and I agree with you that Jameis has leeway. If Jameis gets us to the NFC Championship game, he will have made just as good a first year impression as Drew did. I also do not expect Jameis or anyone else to duplicate the career of this franchise's only HOF qb. I think it is too soon to judge Jameis.

Well what do you expect him to say since he's planning on coming back for another season next year. (wink wink).

Click Drew for video

Attachments

• video-www_facebook_com-16340098468000.mp4
    1.8 MB
I think the love we have for our team and the amount of success we’ve had over the last couple of years have spoiled us. It has to me at least. We were so horrible for years, to have a HOF QB not named Manning, to wear our colors and champion us for so long, albeit longer than he should have, it’s hard to let go of that. That is a process of trust in itself. That process works on both sides, the team and the fans. Drew knows this. I think we should all just stay patient and enjoy the ride this year. We may split with the rest of the division, doubt we get swept by any, but expectations should be tempered of a guy we were clowning just a few years ago as a rival. Winston won the job and it’s his to lose.

Can you imagine the fallout had Drew said everything was going great…or that there was no hope for Jameis long term? Either response would have been highly disingenuous. While he took a neutral position, he also happened to tell the truth.

Can you imagine the fallout had Drew said everything was going great…or that there was no hope for Jameis long term? Either response would have been highly disingenuous. While he took a neutral position, he also happened to tell the truth.
Couldn’t have put it better. Bravo

I wouldn’t expect Brees to say anything differently. He’s also not wrong, the intermediate game isn’t there. However, watching the games I haven’t seen many players getting open in the intermediate area consistently either. It’s either short to the backs, or longer to the WRs he worked with over the summer and has chemistry with.

Those quick intermediate routes need 2 things. First, you need to have a receiver with very good hands and near perfect route running to get open. The windows don’t open for long, so that brings me to point 2. There has to be chemistry there so that the QB knows where he can put the ball so that the WR will run through it and catch it. It’s a trust because that QB has to throw to where the WR will be, not where they are. If done right it’s deadly. If done wrong it will lead to an amazing number of interceptions. There is exactly 1 player on this team that if healthy can do that. But Winston has absolutely zero game time with him.

So yes, Brees is absolutely correct. It does take time. And there are too many missing pieces right now to judge Winston accurately anyway.

Drew has always answered questions like a politician. I wouldn't put too much into it.

Its unfair to Jameis when he's got a group of undrafted FA WRs and a 5th round journeyman to pass to. Payton is making it work with duct tape and chicken wire, but all of the elite QBs in the league has elite weapons to pass to. Even Kirk Cousins have Theilen and Justin Jefferson to pass to. While I like Callaway and Deonte Harris I don't think anybody will confuse them with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.

If its not Jameis.. then the next QB (Book?) will need some help from the front office to get some WRs in here with MT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom