Drew Brees was non-committal when asked if Jameis can be the guy to lead the franchise (paraphrasing) (1 Viewer)

He is right... It takes time. Somethings don't work out and way too soon to call it.

People where calling Brees a loser stat paddler in 2008 that cannot win you games or a championship.

Exactly..

It's same way if we had a rookie QB starting. People want to crucify them before they can even get a full season done.
I understand Jameis has been around a while but not running this offense along missing very important team mates.

Oh we're back to that again. Drew wasn't guilty of anything except poor timing
Hell no. That "Its my grandfathers heritage who fought for this.....BS" stuff all over again. Its an old argument and nobody accepts it outside of white folks from South who still try to push it....like Brees did. Its a foundationally racist argument. Here.......watch....

I wished that was true, bc he would have taken a deep breath, thought about his team being 70-80% black, before, responding the way he did, going into the season last year.
Stop it with this your constant talk of bringing color into every conversation. Gosh you were banned once for a reason. This is why this board is toxic because its those few that can't help themselves. Drew said something that I agree on with regard to the team's play. But your take was that he said it that way, because he has to think about the 80 percent black. Does he or the rest of the world has to have a handbook?

Stop it with this your constant talk of bringing color into every conversation. Gosh you were banned once for a reason. This is why this board is toxic because its those few that can't help themselves. Drew said something that I agree on with regard to the team's play. But your take was that he said it that way, because he has to think about the 80 percent black. Does he or the rest of the world has to have a handbook?
Nope.....just countered the statement "Drew always spoke like a politician".

Absurdly false.

The fact that this thread is a credible discussion of 'is Winston the right guy for an SB' is actually encouraging in a way that only old timers can appreciate. There was a time when all the Saints led the league in was number of quarterbacks named Billy Joe and this organization was a wasteland.

The big issue for Jameis at the moment for intermediate throws is he still views all plays as every man is a possibility. That's fine when you are preparing for the week. But when you get to the line and read the defense there needs to be a decision on which routes are likely covered and which aren't so he can hit the open guys quickly.

Drew was masterful yet sometimes boring with it. We'd line up in a 5 wide set and he'd throw a 5 yard pass before all the routes even developed. He just knew based on the defense that the 5 yard play was the one to be made and that the other routes weren't going to work anyways.

Drew's loyalty is to Sean Payton and the franchise before Winston. He is also close with Hill. His role as an NBC analyst is to be neutral about all teams when he is not unbiased. He loves the Saints and wants the Saints to win. I think an unbiased analyst would say what Brees said to indicate Winston was in game five as a Saints starter and it is a work in progress. Winston clearly struggled with pass protection in the Panthers game. Coaching has kept his pass attempts down in favor of leaning on the run. Winston has made completed several deep passes that older Brees was not that has been reliable. (i.e. we do not see a spate of incompletions or interceptions on deep balls.) Where Winston has struggled is in pulling the trigger and holding the ball too long which is exactly what you would expect when trying to learn a complicated offense built for a hall of fame QB with over a decade of tenure. The it takes time comment matches with this reality.

I have to disagree with you on Drew. I knew he was the guy in 06 after the first few games. By October as I recall. He did go to the NFC Championship game that year. Now I do agree that he said Jameis needs more time, and I agree with you that Jameis has leeway. If Jameis gets us to the NFC Championship game, he will have made just as good a first year impression as Drew did. I also do not expect Jameis or anyone else to duplicate the career of this franchise's only HOF qb. I think it is too soon to judge Jameis.
I agree. If there was any doubt Drew wasn't the long term answer,it ended when we went to Dallas and laid a 42-17
curb stomping on them. There were more than a few pundits who thought Dallas was the best team in the NFC. We
could have laid 50+,but Payton started calling Kneels with plenty of time left in the 4th quarter. This game will always
be one of my all time favorites.

Nope.....just countered the statement "Drew always spoke like a politician".

Absurdly false.
But what does it has to do with "70 to 80 percent black" He made a football statement regarding the team and some of you on here are twisting it around and adding stuff that don't need to be. Some people are hurt by it just because it feel like a betrayal. Some people went all out political with his statement. Come on.

To be fair, in that statement he absolutely did speak like a politician. He still ought to have known better, but he absolutely spoke like a politician when he said it.
No, you are wrong...and here is why. Politicians speak on behalf of their constituents. Brees Constituency was in that locker room, and more than 3/4 of them did not identify with that ish. He failed the first rule of public speaking as a politician.

No, you are wrong...and here is why. Politicians speak on behalf of their constituents. Brees Constituency was in that locker room, and more than 3/4 of them did not identify with that ish. He failed the first rule of public speaking as a politician.
He spoke exactly like a moderate Democrat or a Republican when he said what he said.

He spoke exactly like a moderate Democrat or a Republican when he said what he said.
Again, Politicians speak on behalf of their constituents. They were discussing kneeling and instead of him speaking on behalf of his majority black locker room, he spoke about his white grandfather, heritage and nonsensical stuff that angered our locker room.

I mean, how else can I explain that to you, to make the light turn on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom