Drew Brees was non-committal when asked if Jameis can be the guy to lead the franchise (paraphrasing) (1 Viewer)

Do I have to state the obvious? Drew was a once in generation QB. Jameis has been in the league for 5 years. He is what he is. That is a QB with a big arm and very athletic but inconsistent. No amount of Sean Payton coaching or roster talent is gonna change that. We all know Jameis wants to emulate Drew. That is a lofty goal for any QB but who can do that? It's just always been unrealistic to elevate Jameis to that level and it's unfair. I mean he's doing the best he can but this is the NFL.

jameis and drew are different qbs, winston is closer to andrew luck.. while drew brees is like like jimmy garrapolo on steriods. They wont make the same type of throws. Andrew wasnt the most accurate his first few years either

Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.
You're missing the context. He was asked if Jameis could run the short, quick-passing game. Not whether or not Jameis could be "the guy."

Did anyone see Sunday night football at halftime (I believe) Brees acknowledged that while the saints won that "something just isn't right with the offense". Either Tirico, or Dungy asked him if he thought that Jameis could be the guy and Drew's answer was something along the lines "it takes time". I thought it was pretty telling (IMO) that he gave that answer. If he really had confidence in Jameis he could have easily said something along the lines "Yes, absolutely he will be the guy, it just will take him some time to get there"

I know I am paraphrasing the conversation, did anyone else see it and have the same takeaway? Can someone find the clip? I looked and cannot find it.
Don't over read into this.

It makes total sense: SP and JW still have not played with the FULL team or MOST of the starting Off team.

The pair needs a full season to understand each other. Even if we have our full Off quota on the field, I would give this season a pass and not rush to judgement ( how's that for puns !!;) )

This is not up to us or Drew. Jameis has to perform at an above-average level throughout the season if he wants a chance to be the guy. It's only been 5 games and I don't want to get caught up like some us did after GB.

jameis and drew are different qbs, winston is closer to andrew luck.. while drew brees is like like jimmy garrapolo on steriods. They wont make the same type of throws. Andrew wasnt the most accurate his first few years either
Anyone comparing Drew to Jimmy G gets a clown every time.

Do I have to state the obvious? Drew was a once in generation QB. Jameis has been in the league for 5 years. He is what he is. That is a QB with a big arm and very athletic but inconsistent. No amount of Sean Payton coaching or roster talent is gonna change that. We all know Jameis wants to emulate Drew. That is a lofty goal for any QB but who can do that? It's just always been unrealistic to elevate Jameis to that level and it's unfair. I mean he's doing the best he can but this is the NFL.
Drew came here, after 5 years in the league, just like Jameis, after working with a HoF coach. (Jameis worked with nonsensical coaching). The team drafted Drew's replacement already, and injuries...question marks. We didn't judge him as an already finished product at just 5 years in the league, and in fact, we saw him as someone still impressionable, who Sean can help.

Why dont you see Jameis like that? Why don't he get the same 3 to 4 years to get us to the dance?

When sheet makes no sense, that's when agendas and ulterior motives are left to be considered as the reason.

Drew came here, after 5 years in the league, just like Jameis, after working with a HoF coach. (Jameis worked with nonsensical coaching). The team drafted Drew's replacement already, and injuries...question marks. We didn't judge him as an already finished product at just 5 years in the league, and in fact, we saw him as someone still impressionable, who Sean can help.

Why dont you see Jameis like that? Why don't he get the same 3 to 4 years to get us to the dance?

When sheet makes no sense, that's when agendas and ulterior motives are left to be considered as the reason.
I understand and agree with your general point….

One key difference is that Drew turned it around in year 4 and led the Chargers to the playoffs and a pro bowl appearance. He kept Rivers on the bench for 2 years with his play. Rivers publicly stated he wanted traded b/c it was apparent that it was Drew’s team. Then Drew had a shoulder injury. It’s really unclear what would have happened without the injury.

I totally agree with giving Jameis time. I just don’t think the two were as much in the same place professionally after year 5 as some suggest.

And ultimately, I can have that viewpoint without having ulterior motives…

I understand and agree with your general point….

One key difference is that Drew turned it around in year 4 and led the Chargers to the playoffs and a pro bowl appearance. He kept Rivers on the bench for 2 years with his play. Rivers publicly stated he wanted traded b/c it was apparent that it was Drew’s team. Then Drew had a shoulder injury. It’s really unclear what would have happened without the injury.

I totally agree with giving Jameis time. I just don’t think the two were as much in the same place professionally after year 5 as some suggest.

And ultimately, I can have that viewpoint without having ulterior motives…
Drew wasnt where he should have been working with one coach thise entire 5 years. A Hall of Fame coach at that (RIP Marty). So, did Brees develop faster his first three years here than Jameis, we don't know yet, we havent given Jameis 3 years. If it takes Jameis a little longer, remember, he had Lovie (Great defensively, horrible offensively), Dirk (Lord help us) and Leftwich/Arians Risk it - Bisc.....I cant even finish typing that. So, ofcourse Jameis comes with some stuff that needs to be purged, as he learns Sean system. Marty won because he was conservative on Offense, Run, Run, Pass....kinda like Sean did with Drew and Deuce, Reggie, Pierre, Bell and other UDFA backs. Doing it now with Jameis. So, give it time...Jameis has years of horrible coaching tonstrip away. While Brees had this guy...2 hall of fame coaches. Makes a difference.

Attachments

• 20211013_113423.jpg
    20211013_113423.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 6

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom