Drew Changing Plays At LOS (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I’m seeing more and more talk about Brees changing plays at the LOS and how that may have contributed to us losing or being in close games b/c he is changing the run plays to passing plays. Could this be why we didn’t see the run plays we should have seen w/ Murray and Kamara? I’ve been blaming Payton for not running the football but is this actually on Brees?

Also, could this be a contributing factor into why Kamara was noticeably out of sorts as well. Maybe he felt some type about not getting to really run the ball?

My post isn't a criticism of Drew at all, but it seems like nearly every one of our plays is like an act of Congress. Constant audibles, constant changing, and maybe if everything goes right, we get it done. All too often, the other team (as well as teams in other games) can simply walk up to the line, run the play they intended, and usually do as well or better. It is frustrating how much simpler it seems to be for everyone else. We have to scratch and claw and be perfect and hope we don't get screwed while the other team is like the dumb, drunk frat boy who never studies and still gets an A somehow.

My post isn't a criticism of Drew at all, but it seems like nearly every one of our plays is like an act of Congress. Constant audibles, constant changing, and maybe if everything goes right, we get it done. All too often, the other team (as well as teams in other games) can simply walk up to the line, run the play they intended, and usually do as well or better. It is frustrating how much simpler it seems to be for everyone else. We have to scratch and claw and be perfect and hope we don't get screwed while the other team is like the dumb, drunk frat boy who never studies and still gets an A somehow.

That’s a good point imo. Scheming to mask our deficiencies perhaps?

That’s a good point imo. Scheming to mask our deficiencies perhaps?

half glass empty? Could be but I think more so to exploit defenses weaknesses. But for whatever play you call there is always going to be a defensive look that has the best opportunity to stop it. I think there may be truth in the fact that Drew audibles into a pass more often than not and this does contribute to the imbalance with the run game. But SP is an offensive guy, he wouldn't give Drew all that rope if it wasn't helping more than hurting (at least at one point) When Drew is "on fire" his ability to change the plays has a large role in that.

I will say that it seems to me like the Vikes came in with a defensive game plan that threw the offense off. Probably why we didn't see the offense really get untracked until late in the game.

The Vikings came in with a simple game plan. Clog up the short to intermediate routes and rush their DE’s on the inside against our guards to get pressure in Drew’s face immediately. Our offense never got on track. The only time the Saints had success was when Taysom had the ball in his hands. That’s on Sean Payton for not sticking to the adjustment. It was simply to feed Taysom. Hats off to the Vikes for coming in with a game plan that wasn’t on tape. It was up to Sean Payton to adjust with something they haven’t seen as well, but he kept going back to trying to establish the usual game plan. It was very frustrating and still is to know that we could’ve won that game.

At some point--especially in the playoffs-- you need talented players. We did have talent deficiencies on offense, particularly at wide rreceiver. Excluding Thomas, we had the worst wide receivers in the NFL. And even with Thomas, our wide receiver grouping was not terribly good. If Kamara is struggling and with Brees reluctant to throw deep, our offense is not hard to figure out.

The Vikings came in with a simple game plan. Clog up the short to intermediate routes and rush their DE’s on the inside against our guards to get pressure in Drew’s face immediately. Our offense never got on track. The only time the Saints had success was when Taysom had the ball in his hands. That’s on Sean Payton for not sticking to the adjustment. It was simply to feed Taysom. Hats off to the Vikes for coming in with a game plan that wasn’t on tape. It was up to Sean Payton to adjust with something they haven’t seen as well, but he kept going back to trying to establish the usual game plan. It was very frustrating and still is to know that we could’ve won that game.

That’s the standard way to beat the Saints though. Drew has a weakness and he has a predictable way in the offense. He has always had a weakness at pass rushers coming up the pocket. It’s how Atlanta designed their defense under Smith. Also since Brees lacks the arm strength to push the ball down the field,the passing game has shortened up. The Vikings know this. Shut down the short and intermediate routes. Brees can’t hurt you with the long ball anymore. Nor for whatever reason is he looking to all his receivers. It’s Thomas first, second and third looks anymore. Same as when graham was here. Defenses knew where the ball was going, and while very difficult to stop the completions there is no yards after catch

Taysom was the unknown. The disadvantage of putting your pressure up the middle is it allows a mobile QB to go outside of the pocket and get some free runs and shots down the field as that containment is lost. Best thing with Taysom at this point is to play him like you do a Cam Newton. Simply rush him with the point being containment and squeeze him into the pocket, making him stress out because he can’t escape (see cam crying in the super bowl for an example. Perfect defense) what we don’t know is can Taysom run the offense when put into the pocket and forced to use the route tree and find the open man.

I sadly believe this is true.

We have lived and died with Drew for so long that we can't complain at this point. We don't know how many times he audibled in to the right play at critical times. That's what we get at this point. Good coaches give star players leeway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom