Drew Changing Plays At LOS (1 Viewer)

We have lived and died with Drew for so long that we can't complain at this point. We don't know how many times he audibled in to the right play at critical times. That's what we get at this point. Good coaches give star players leeway.
And sometimes this becomes the problem. Like or not. You have to take the good with the bad. The Vikings game is proof of that.

The Vikings came in with a simple game plan. Clog up the short to intermediate routes and rush their DE’s on the inside against our guards to get pressure in Drew’s face immediately. Our offense never got on track. The only time the Saints had success was when Taysom had the ball in his hands. That’s on Sean Payton for not sticking to the adjustment. It was simply to feed Taysom. Hats off to the Vikes for coming in with a game plan that wasn’t on tape. It was up to Sean Payton to adjust with something they haven’t seen as well, but he kept going back to trying to establish the usual game plan. It was very frustrating and still is to know that we could’ve won that game.

Agreed, we should have run right at them, I simply can't understand why we didn't....

The one issue that I have with Brees is not only checking out of run plays but for whatever reason at times he gets locked in on one player and more often than not the offense becomes very predictable.

It happened with Jimmy Graham, it happened with Darren Sproles, and its happening with Michael Thomas.

The one issue that I have with Brees is not only checking out of run plays but for whatever reason at times he gets locked in on one player and more often than not the offense becomes very predictable.

It happened with Jimmy Graham, it happened with Darren Sproles, and its happening with Michael Thomas.

I dunno. Brees is known for spreading the ball around. He often throws to 7-10 teammates in any given game, but this year he hasn't been near as effective with that. I'm not sure how much was Drew and how much was the lack of production from WRs not named Thomas.

29 of 30 for 307 against the Colts and there are multiple discussions about how Brees should give way to Taysom Hill. 75% for the season for the 2nd time in a row with a terrible WR corps. Wow.

Ikr, Brees had a season most quarterbacks would do anything for. Brees had a solid season and I hope he comes back. He's certainly not the problem.

My post isn't a criticism of Drew at all, but it seems like nearly every one of our plays is like an act of Congress. Constant audibles, constant changing, and maybe if everything goes right, we get it done. All too often, the other team (as well as teams in other games) can simply walk up to the line, run the play they intended, and usually do as well or better. It is frustrating how much simpler it seems to be for everyone else. We have to scratch and claw and be perfect and hope we don't get screwed while the other team is like the dumb, drunk frat boy who never studies and still gets an A somehow.

It's been this way for a long time, and it is frustrating. You don't get automatic points for having an overly-complex or "genius" offensive scheme. It was worse when it was telegraphed that Sproles or Graham were getting the ball.

Losing Mark Ingram was tough because Sean and Drew grew to trust running the ball with Ingram, but it took years to get to that point. Assume that if Drew is back that they will not return to balance, but that they will try building Taysom's RPO role.

I dunno. Brees is known for spreading the ball around. He often throws to 7-10 teammates in any given game, but this year he hasn't been near as effective with that. I'm not sure how much was Drew and how much was the lack of production from WRs not named Thomas.

It's become really obvious that Brees doesn't trust his Wr's not named Thomas as much as he claims he does.

It's become really obvious that Brees doesn't trust his Wr's not named Thomas as much as he claims he does.

Where did he claim that? And I do recall quite a few dropped passes from those WRs. I do think his injury hurt his ability to get comfortable with the WRs. Thomas was having a career year and I think that had something to do with it as well. Maybe that changes a bit next season.

We'll see.

Many threads about this already but hey it's the long offseason so why not again.

Our offense was pretty vanilla all things considered. Our offense used to punish you by making you defend the entire field. That is not the case anymore as Drew can't throw the ball over the field like he used to. A good defensive sheme (Vikings) made us pay for that shortcoming. Add in AK being hurt / limited, limited TE & WR options and we are just not as electric on offense as we one were. To deny this is to deny the obvious. How do we fix it? Or do we go with the status quo as is? I don't have those answers. Drew is still the smartest brain on the field. If he were to go we miss him. If he stays we dink and dunk.

At some point--especially in the playoffs-- you need talented players. We did have talent deficiencies on offense, particularly at wide rreceiver. Excluding Thomas, we had the worst wide receivers in the NFL. And even with Thomas, our wide receiver grouping was not terribly good. If Kamara is struggling and with Brees reluctant to throw deep, our offense is not hard to figure out.
I agree with all of this except Brees being reluctant to throw deep. He can't. it's not that he doesn't want to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom