Drew coming back! (1 Viewer)

That thumb injury probably was one factor because he got some unexpected rest. Also, he probably doesn't want the last playoff to be his last game.

That plays a role IMHO. One reason I retired when I did was that the class of advanced students was so smart and so much fun to teach that I couldn't imagine being able to top it with the next group. I wanted to go out on a good note. You want your memory of your last days on the job to be pleasant if at all possible

It's one reason I feel kind of bad for Favre, his retirement shenanigans aside. His last pass was Porter's pick. Let's hope Brees's last completion is a Superbowl winning touchdown.

The only downside is that Bridgewater is probably done as a Saint. Great guy and wonderful season-saving undefeated five-game stretch. Thank you, Teddy Bridgewater.

Great news for the team and for all of us who enjoy watching greatness. I am looking a this as his swan song and I bet there will be extra meaning and incentive for him and Coach Payton to make it a memorable year. Gonna be challenging however with our salary cap situation an so many quality young players needing to get paid. In Loomis I trust!!!

To quote Zach Strief from Sports Talk on WWL yesterday "Anyone who thinks Drew Brees is done is either uneducated about football or blind."
Exactly. Drew has honestly played some of his best ball the past two years. Super efficient. Tremendous TD:INT ratio. Super accurate. Yes, he can not push the ball down the field with consistency like he could in the past. Yes, he did not have a good game and made some costly mistakes in the playoff loss, but that was a team loss and everyone has bad games, even the all time greats.

Yes, Sean, Drew and the entire organization need to make adjustments for next year to remain competitive and ultimately compete for the super bowl. Run game needs to be more consistent. Deep routes need to be a viable threat to keep defenses honest (with Taysom, better "WR2" play, or otherwise). The defense needs to be able to close out games and not give up back-breaking plays in the final minutes and seconds of games.

But how anyone can say Drew being on the team, having played some of his best football, despite his physical limitations due to age, does not give the Saints the best chance to win next year is beyond me.

Although at this point the Saints obviously need to think long-term and about life after Brees, the number of Saints fans who would like to push the greatest player to ever wear the black and gold out the door, despite him playing at a very high level still, blows my mind. Let's not be so quick to throw out one of the greatest QBs of all time, especially while he is still playing at a very high level.

The time for life after Brees will come. I'm all for incorporating Taysom in more and would love if the fantasy-land Burrow trade (Hello, Swimmer) could come to fruition. But I truly believe having Brees on this team for 2020 still gives us the best chance to win. Enjoy the ride.

It's rare that I give a person the Goodell clown. It's a cold blooded thing to do. Someone expresses their opinion and then you come along and drop a clown on it. It's a message board slap in the face. The ultimate disrespect.

Having said that, you earned the clown I just gave you. Just one of many to follow I'm sure.

I couldn't agree more...i hate doing it and its rare I will... that being said I was number 14 and probably won't be the last... that comment will be collecting them all day :covri:

One more run, Who Dat! Do we get a hometown discount?
They'll work something reasonable out, knowing this is most likely his final season I don't see Drew holding the team hostage financially knowing that salary could go towards 2-3 extra players that could hopefully get this team over the hump.

Drew is still the best shot for the team winning now, with that said I still believe we will see more Tayson being incorporated into the Offense next season, we will see new creative Taysom packages with triple wing formations, and RPOs built in as part of a strategy to keep Drew healthy through a whole season and to keep incorporating more Taysom.

It is a catch-22 for the Saints.

Love to have him back, but it does keep the Saints from moving forward and keeps the future a bit murky. If Brees/Loomis work together, they can drop the cap hit as well with an extension, but there are other contracts Loomis can Loomis to create cap space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom