Drew coming back! (1 Viewer)

I definitely thought he was retiring. And I represent the second option. Lol

Well he didn't mean "done" as in retiring. It was in response to someone who said he was done physically and should retire. More directed at the guy with the noodle arm comment than you.

One thing that Drew's return will do is to force the Saints to show their hand. Brees cannot be anything but a very short term solution to our starting QB decisions. So whoever backs up Drew this year will likely be the heir apparent at the position. It won't do the team any good to give Taysom another year of apprenticeship without making it obvious that he'll be the guy when Brees hangs up the cleats.

Now if we do draft or deal for a big name QB this offseason, then we can be reasonably sure that Taysom did not pan out as Sean once suggested he might. So if Brees & Hill are platooning this year and the #3 guy is merely some insurance QB on the bench, get ready for the RPO System in the Big Easy!

It is a catch-22 for the Saints.

Love to have him back, but it does keep the Saints from moving forward and keeps the future a bit murky. If Brees/Loomis work together, they can drop the cap hit as well with an extension, but there are other contracts Loomis can Loomis to create cap space.

Yes, having Drew back for another year keeps the team from moving forward, to the next chapter of the team... whatever that might be with whoever is the QB in the next chapter. If you're asking if Drew returning keeps the team from getting better or going deeper into the offseason, then absolutely not.

There are less QB's in the league that give us a better chance at a ring than Drew, than there are fingers on my left hand. Honestly, only one that I would say for sure. Mahommes. A case could be made for Russel Wilson and in some circles... Lamar Jackson and/or Aaron Rodgers. Notice the names Teddy, Taysom, Joe, etc... aren't on the list.

Anyway, to the OP... Heck Yeah!!! Geaux Saints!

I say we still need to draft a QB. I'm excited for us love Drew. Didn't wanna hang my jersey up anyway lol

If the right QB is there or within striking distance, sure. They aren't going to just draft any QB to check off a box though. It may also depend on how Payton truly feels about Taysom. Is he just trying to get someone to pony up a 1st round pick for him or does he believe he's the next QB? We should know in the next 10 weeks.

Need to get a 2 year contract where the second year voids if he meets certain criteria so we’re not left with $30 million in dead money when he retires after next season.

That won't happen, It will either be a 1 year deal only or it will have a guaranteed void at the start of the 2021 league year. No chance he will agreed to a conditional void.

I think Drew will be "load managed" in a sense that we will go more run heavy in the season and try to keep his pass attempts more in the 20 range

Look for a high draft pick (like Edwards Elaire) or a bigish FA signing at running back (Carlos Hyde comes to mind) with a 3 headed rushing attack like we had in 09 with Thomas, Bell and Reggie

Rumor has it that Bear Grylls has offered Brees a co-host job if he returns to play one more season and he would not make Brees jump on the back of 8-foot gators anymore- lol. Brees and Grylls - now that sounds like multiple Grammy awards coming soon

If the right QB is there or within striking distance, sure. They aren't going to just draft any QB to check off a box though. It may also depend on how Payton truly feels about Taysom. Is he just trying to get someone to pony up a 1st round pick for him or does he believe he's the next QB? We should know in the next 10 weeks.

I knew he had another year in him. Awesome. Now, let's get back to the playoffs and get over this stupid hump.
DizzyThirdEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

I think Drew will be "load managed" in a sense that we will go more run heavy in the season and try to keep his pass attempts more in the 20 range

Look for a high draft pick (like Edwards Elaire) or a bigish FA signing at running back (Carlos Hyde comes to mind) with a 3 headed rushing attack like we had in 09 with Thomas, Bell and Reggie

I hope you're right. Surely SP will understand Drew's limitations and play to his strengths. Drew could be the greatest game manager of all time. But Drew has to understand this too and not audible out the play call. I don't know if Drew is capable of that lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom