Drew - Good as new? Rusty? Tentative? Gun Shy? In Playoff Form? (1 Viewer)

Spylake

Banned
Reaction score
I have faith but Drew is Human and it's hard to gauge how he will be in the first few series.

One thing I have wondered about is how he has maintained conditioning. Specifically his throwing arm. Trying to picture how you work out if you can't use your thumb.

Part of me wonders if this play, not play talk is just to mess with the Cards.

No comment on if he's going to play, but his injury wasn't such that couldn't have lifted especially with help.

I had the same injury Drew has about a decade ago from playing basketball. Came down on my hand wrong after I got undercut going for a rebound.. You can lift just fine. You have to modify your grip a little bit on some exercises like bench, where you roll the bar more towards the meaty part of your hand, but it doesn't impact your form at all. They've got all kinds of equipment and trainers, and obviously the injury won't impact his cardio. He can do everything he needs to do to stay in shape. He'll be fine.

It's more just about rust throwing the football than it is any sort of conditioning.

I have faith but Drew is Human and it's hard to gauge how he will be in the first few series.

One thing I have wondered about is how he has maintained conditioning. Specifically his throwing arm. Trying to picture how you work out if you can't use your thumb.

Part of me wonders if this play, not play talk is just to mess with the Cards.

In this interview of Drew, he states that he can and did maintain his throwing arm exercises without throwing a ball. He says he does that all throw the off season too.

Do the Cards have any rushers like Ndamukong Suh who mike specifically target Drews hand?

I have to questions whatsoever about Drew's conditioning or lack thereof. I do wonder if he will be rusty early with his timing etc with the speed of the game and rushers trying to disrupt his timing. The guy is an all time warrior however and I also see him coming out with determination to have a great come back game from injury. To that end, even if he starts slow I fully expect him to be firing on all cylinders by the third quarter, with a motivated team behind him.

I had the same injury Drew has about a decade ago from playing basketball. Came down on my hand wrong after I got undercut going for a rebound.. You can lift just fine. You have to modify your grip a little bit on some exercises like bench, where you roll the bar more towards the meaty part of your hand, but it doesn't impact your form at all. They've got all kinds of equipment and trainers, and obviously the injury won't impact his cardio. He can do everything he needs to do to stay in shape. He'll be fine.

It's more just about rust throwing the football than it is any sort of conditioning.

Just curious. Since you have dealt with this same injury, what's your take on him coming back so soon? It sounds like the procedure he had done is fairly new, so it's probably totally different than in your case. Just curious, are you surprised at all? Could you imagine squeezing an NFL ball and throwing accurate passes after only about 6-7 weeks of rehab and recovery?

Just curious. Since you have dealt with this same injury, what's your take on him coming back so soon? It sounds like the procedure he had done is fairly new, so it's probably totally different than in your case. Just curious, are you surprised at all? Could you imagine squeezing an NFL ball and throwing accurate passes after only about 6-7 weeks of rehab and recovery?

I definitely had the issue of not having hand strength. Couldn't use that hand for a couple of days. After that it gets better but picking things up is still painful/cumbersome for about a week or two. After that you can mostly use it normally, but there's still pain and awkwardness that gets better each day until you wake up one day and realized it hasn't hurt in a week and it's all good.

If you've ever jammed your finger really bad, it's like that. It's swollen and in severe pain for maybe a week. After a week or so you can use it again, but it hurts and it's a little gimpy, and over time it just slowly gets better and better.

I was playing basketball again in probably a month, but it was my off-hand, not my throwing/shooting hand. I do remember it aching for months afterwards, and having to modify my barbell grip as I mentioned above for maybe 2-3 months after. Based on my experience it seems like 6 weeks is really fast, but I don't have a team of doctors and rehab folks, and I'm confident Brees is much more diligent about his rehab than I was. Once healed it was healed. Zero effects afterwards. If I got amnesia tomorrow I'd wake up and never know it happened.

Edited to add: My ligament was damaged but still intact, and I didn't get surgery. So my scenario might not be even remotely comparable to Drew's. I mostly only brought it up because the OP was asking about ability to exercise with it.

I think he’ll be the opposite of gun shy. I think he’s gonna come out slinging it. Going all the way back to his high school days, anytime he’s faced any type of adversity or had any competition, he comes back better than ever. In college, coming back from injury, on the biggest stages, he plays better than ever.

In San Diego, he had a couple mediocre seasons to begin his career. then they drafted Rivers, and Brees had his best season with them. Then the big injury happened and we got him. Well since then he’s only become one of the greatest to ever do it.

So I expect more of the same from him. I’d be surprised at anything less than 300 yds, 4 TDs, 75% completion rate. Book it

So regardless if it’s this week or after the bye, Drew is gonna do exactly what he’s always done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom