Drew in his Era? (Herd Bracket related) (1 Viewer)

Skrill

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Respectfully so, Montana (damn him) should be ahead of drew and really any other QB at this point. Maybe Elway and Johnny U have argument. But in his era where is Drew ranked? To me it is Brady, Drew and everyone else. Thoughts?

I don't think that Brady is a better quarterback then Brees. My opinion is that Brees is the best quarterback of his era.

I may be a homer, but even I can't lie and say Brees is the best of his era. Best pure passer? Yes. With no doubt probably the greatest pure passer of all tie. Tom Brady has been playing at a high level since 2001. Brees since 04(his last two charger years were awesome). Brady has three rings, 2 more appearances. Brady is by far the best of this era. Brees is #2, but only the success sets them apart.

I think Rodgers has elite passing ability and runs better than Brees or Brady so we should just forget about him right?

well, brady gets the edge for the rings. cant win them without him. but brees is every bit as good (better; really) from what ive seen with the old eyeball test.

It's hard for me to split those hairs. I consider Brady and Drew to be pretty equal. Not sure either has more accuracy or a better arm than the other by any kind of margin. I think both are a step ahead of Rodgers and miles ahead of the next dozen on that list.

Every QB has his weaknesses. Brees can be a little greedy, he's so used to fitting the ball into tiny little windows, he can have more interceptions than he should at times.

Rodgers is a sack machine, he takes way too many sacks. It's his Achilles heel.

Brady, to my eyes, doesn't have the sheer will and toughness of Drew. His accuracy on the long ball is a tad suspect. He wins by throwing the short ball brilliantly.

Peyton has the reputation of not always playing his best in high pressure situations.

It's pretty hard for me to say any of these guys are clearly better than the others. Of course I'm partial to Drew, but if I try to be impartial, I can't really say there's that much to put one of them above the others.

Eliminating Homeritis, I think the margin is so slim between Manning (P), Brady, Brees, Rodgers...Im not sure a Best can be achieved. IMO, Brady probably edges out the other three...BARELY.

My QB list of the last half decade or more is:

Manning
Brady
Brees
Farve
Rogers
Eli Manning
Reothlisberger

All these men have either won multiple SB, lost in the SB or been in playoff contention multiple times.

Stats alone Brees can easily beat many of them, but many of these guys are year in year out SB contenders, much like us.

Brees homer or not, the top 2 have proven their salt, their worth.

Just my OP.

My QB list of the last half decade or more is:

Manning
Brady
Brees
Farve
Rogers
Eli Manning
Reothlisberger

All these men have either won multiple SB, lost in the SB or been in playoff contention multiple times.

Stats alone Brees can easily beat many of them, but many of these guys are year in year out SB contenders, much like us.

Brees homer or not, the top 2 have proven their salt, their worth.

Just my OP.

I like your list though I think Roethlisberger edges out Eli.

If Brees had any of Brady's defenses, he would have won 7 superbowls by now. The ring argument is a joke, they won 2 superbowls by a margain of 3 points, one 17-14, one 20-17.. does that sound like a result of stellar QB play?

Going by that logic, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are just as good as Aaron Rogers (same amount of rings) Ben Rothlisburger is twice as good as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Bradshaw is just as good as Montana...

Brady was on better teams, Brees is a better QB. Don't forget the year Brady was out, the Pats still went 11-5.

I've always contended that trying to figure out a "best" is a pointless exercise in any discipline. In the Brees era, I count Brees, Brady, and Manning in no particular order as the best. Some are best at some things while some are best at others. None of them stands head and shoulders above the others.

And so, what about Rogers and Favre. I'd definitely say that Favre was a different era. When Brees came on the scene, Favre was already on the downside of his career. It's a close call for Rogers as Rogers "era" really started after Brees was already established - but its close so I'd say that Rogers is also in that conversation. But the whole "era" thing also creates problems with the idea of ranking.

I'd look at it a different way, though. If you could take any QB in the history of the league at their best and have them for one season, who would you want? Homerism and rivalries aside, I, too, would have to go with Montana and, probably, Unitas over Brees. I might take Peyton Manning over Brees in that scenario and I'd actually love to see what Archie Manning, at his absolute best, would look like with this team. Still, though, for Brees to even be in THAT particular conversation (and he is), is an amazing feat in and of itself.

I've always contended that trying to figure out a "best" is a pointless exercise in any discipline. In the Brees era, I count Brees, Brady, and Manning in no particular order as the best. Some are best at some things while some are best at others. None of them stands head and shoulders above the others.

And so, what about Rogers and Favre. I'd definitely say that Favre was a different era. When Brees came on the scene, Favre was already on the downside of his career. It's a close call for Rogers as Rogers "era" really started after Brees was already established - but its close so I'd say that Rogers is also in that conversation. But the whole "era" thing also creates problems with the idea of ranking.

I'd look at it a different way, though. If you could take any QB in the history of the league at their best and have them for one season, who would you want? Homerism and rivalries aside, I, too, would have to go with Montana and, probably, Unitas over Brees. I might take Peyton Manning over Brees in that scenario and I'd actually love to see what Archie Manning, at his absolute best, would look like with this team. Still, though, for Brees to even be in THAT particular conversation (and he is), is an amazing feat in and of itself.

And for those other guys (i.e., scrubs), the fact that they're named in the same breath as Drew Brees is even more praise worthy. :ezpi_cooldude:

This is obviously my biased opinion, but Brees brings more to the table than any other QB in history. He is far and away the most accurate, including his jaw dropping deep ball accuracy. He has some of the best footwork in history and his elusiveness in the pocket make him one of the hardest sacks in the NFL today...an era of passing but also an era of greater emphasis on pass rushing. His leadership is on another planet compared to the other players on this list. No one can ever intelligently dispute his leadership. His work ethic is at the least on par with everyone listed in this thread, including Peyton Manning. His only drawback is his size, but when you produce like he has, how can that me a drawback?? Forget about the Superbowl totals discussion. That's for goofballs who don't have the time make an intelligent argument.

I find it hard to believe that there are 31 GMs in the league that if they had to choose a QB other than the one they already had on their roster, all 31 GMs wouldn't choose Brees. He really is that good.

If Brees had any of Brady's defenses, he would have won 7 superbowls by now. The ring argument is a joke, they won 2 superbowls by a margain of 3 points, one 17-14, one 20-17.. does that sound like a result of stellar QB play?

Going by that logic, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are just as good as Aaron Rogers (same amount of rings) Ben Rothlisburger is twice as good as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Bradshaw is just as good as Montana...

Brady was on better teams, Brees is a better QB. Don't forget the year Brady was out, the Pats still went 11-5.

Had to quote for truth

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom