Drew is looking as on the money as ever: (1 Viewer)

Can we get a 25-28 attempt max on Drew for the first 10 weeks with 2 weeks off in the season 3 including the bye .
Around weeks 12-14 is when I would hope we fully unleash the offense , I think we could get by being conservative and creative at the same time with the personnel and Play caller we have that it can still be the best in The NFL before Payton even fully unleashes Brees to sling it

Can we get a 25-28 attempt max on Drew for the first 10 weeks with 2 weeks off in the season 3 including the bye .
Around weeks 12-14 is when I would hope we fully unleash the offense , I think we could get by being conservative and creative at the same time with the personnel and Play caller we have that it can still be the best in The NFL before Payton even fully unleashes Brees to sling it
Good idea. This would be a great way to see if either Taysom or Jameis can qb this team or if we have to draft a qb. I suspect the latter but if it keeps Drew fresh for a playoff run I am for it.

I just want Drew to be as hot as he seems to be in mid season I’m the Post Season. Early in the year we need a more run oriented offense balance it 51/49 then later on in the season Payton can go

As much as we'd all love to line up and run the ball whenever we wanted and dictate to the defense that way, it's not all that realistic in today's NFL.

That 51/49 you want was actually only achieved by two teams in the league last year. One was Baltimore with a running QB accounting for a lot of their yards, so that's an outlier.

The other team was the Niners, who had a great scheme and are not a bad standard to aim for. Except that when you need explosive plays to overhaul a great offensive team (like KC), it can't be done through relying on the run game. And there's the rub, trying to achieve a 'run/pass ratio' without context ignores that you have to do what it takes to win the game.

I loved watching the balanced approach to the offense when Teddy was quarterbacking. It appeared to become too pass-happy once Drew came back.

Some useful information on that one. The team's run/pass percentage in those 5 games TB started was 46.0% / 54.0% run to pass - good, but still only eighth in the league when comparing with other teams throughout their 2019 seasons.

Yes, our team passed more when Brees came back, but we have to remember that Kamara was either missing or hobbled (and he is the major run game factor for us) affecting what we could do, and secondly (and ultimately) coach will call the plays that win the game, every time. And that meant putting the ball in Drew's hands.

Now, if you want to see what our run/pass balance looks like when you don't have an injured Kamara and Drew is in all year, check 2018. That year we ran 47.6% to 52.4% , good enough for 7th best run ratio. In short, we can still run the ball very well with Drew at QB.

That's a very low number. 28 team passing attempts or less was only achieved by two teams in 2019. They were SF and Tennessee, who as we know were very much committed to the run, went deep in the playoffs, but like my point above, could not make explosive plays to overhaul a Kansas City when they had to. And believe me, I love the idea of running the ball all day when I say this, but today's NFL version of ball control involves the passing game.

Now if you meant 28 attempts for Drew and then mop up play by the other QBs, I can see your thinking. However, in the NFL, how often do teams realistically have the option to go into mop up mode? Particularly if they're focused on a ball control approach? Rarely, I'd say. And even more unlikely is the prospect of sitting him for entire games.

Fact is, we will primarily need to see Drew under center most of the time to continue to be the 12-14 win team we need to be..

Don't wear him out in camp and practice. It's not like he needs the reps.
Nick Underhill (see the excellent Ask Nick thread) talked about TH and JW taking all Weds reps and dialling back Drew's Thurs reps as well. That could be significant.

As much as we'd all love to line up and run the ball whenever we wanted and dictate to the defense that way, it's not all that realistic in today's NFL.

That 51/49 you want was actually only achieved by two teams in the league last year. One was Baltimore with a running QB accounting for a lot of their yards, so that's an outlier.

The other team was the Niners, who had a great scheme and are not a bad standard to aim for. Except that when you need explosive plays to overhaul a great offensive team (like KC), it can't be done through relying on the run game. And there's the rub, trying to achieve a 'run/pass ratio' without context ignores that you have to do what it takes to win the game.

Some useful information on that one. The team's run/pass percentage in those 5 games TB started was 46.0% / 54.0% run to pass - good, but still only eighth in the league when comparing with other teams throughout their 2019 seasons.

Yes, our team passed more when Brees came back, but we have to remember that Kamara was either missing or hobbled (and he is the major run game factor for us) affecting what we could do, and secondly (and ultimately) coach will call the plays that win the game, every time. And that meant putting the ball in Drew's hands.

Now, if you want to see what our run/pass balance looks like when you don't have an injured Kamara and Drew is in all year, check 2018. That year we ran 47.6% to 52.4% , good enough for 7th best run ratio. In short, we can still run the ball very well with Drew at QB.

That's a very low number. 28 team passing attempts or less was only achieved by two teams in 2019. They were SF and Tennessee, who as we know were very much committed to the run, went deep in the playoffs, but like my point above, could not make explosive plays to overhaul a Kansas City when they had to. And believe me, I love the idea of running the ball all day when I say this, but today's NFL version of ball control involves the passing game.

Now if you meant 28 attempts for Drew and then mop up play by the other QBs, I can see your thinking. However, in the NFL, how often do teams realistically have the option to go into mop up mode? Particularly if they're focused on a ball control approach? Rarely, I'd say. And even more unlikely is the prospect of sitting him for entire games.

Fact is, we will primarily need to see Drew under center most of the time to continue to be the 12-14 win team we need to be..

I don’t disagree with anything you said however this Oline is built to run the Ball.Also notice I didn’t say pass 25-28 times as a team just Drew , meaning Taysom should be utilized as a passer/ runner. And when Drew sits Winston starts. I’m not saying every game but Drew has to be limited I don’t want to see him burnout by Divisional Round pace him

I don’t disagree with anything you said however this Oline is built to run the Ball.Also notice I didn’t say pass 25-28 times as a team just Drew , meaning Taysom should be utilized as a passer/ runner. And when Drew sits Winston starts. I’m not saying every game but Drew has to be limited I don’t want to see him burnout by Divisional Round pace him
Our O line was built to run the ball last year, and the year before that etc. Saying it doesn't make defenses any more susceptible to it, I'm sorry to say.

And I covered capping Drew's attempts in my penultimate paragraph. TH has yet to show enough as a passer to force defenses to respect the passing option on a consistent basis, he's not near Lamar Jackson as a legitimate dual threat (not yet at least).

And I'm not sure what transpires to create the scenario 'when Drew sits' as you put it? The margins of victory in NFL football are slim on most occasions, and the prize of a first round bye is contested usually until the final or penultimate weekend. Until that's achieved (if it is) Drew isn't sitting, because the job of the team is to win every game.

I think the reality has been, and remains, that Drew has to play the majority of the time for us to compete for the Super Bowl. The rest we'd all like to see him get will come by reducing his practice reps and, hopefully, with a seat on the bench in the final week, having wrapped up homefield the weekend before.

Our O line was built to run the ball last year, and the year before that etc. Saying it doesn't make defenses any more susceptible to it, I'm sorry to say.

And I covered capping Drew's attempts in my penultimate paragraph. TH has yet to show enough as a passer to force defenses to respect the passing option on a consistent basis, he's not near Lamar Jackson as a legitimate dual threat (not yet at least).

And I'm not sure what transpires to create the scenario 'when Drew sits' as you put it? The margins of victory in NFL football are slim on most occasions, and the prize of a first round bye is contested usually until the final or penultimate weekend. Until that's achieved (if it is) Drew isn't sitting, because the job of the team is to win every game.

I think the reality has been, and remains, that Drew has to play the majority of the time for us to compete for the Super Bowl. The rest we'd all like to see him get will come by reducing his practice reps and, hopefully, with a seat on the bench in the final week, having wrapped up homefield the weekend before.

We’ve ranked in the top 13 last 3 seasons in Yards per attempt. With a injured Kamara and underused Murray . And in 2018 a injured Ingram , in 2017 we were top 5.

Taysom isn’t Lamar but he doesn’t need to BE ! 6-7 yards a pop and a check down or two a game will keep the defense honest.

Drew cannot make it through a season and still have the same arm juice it’s been proven. The margin is small but when you have the best roster in the NFL and the best backup QB in the NFL whose probably better then 15-16 starters we can do that.

Bridge water is not better than Winston and Taysom will continue to develop I haven’t seen him hit a brick wall yet and reguardless to your opinion IF HE wasn’t going to be utilized passing/ rushing you don’t pay him 16 million you could’ve spent elsewhere

We’ve ranked in the top 13 last 3 seasons in Yards per attempt. With a injured Kamara and underused Murray . And in 2018 a injured Ingram , in 2017 we were top 5.

Taysom isn’t Lamar but he doesn’t need to BE ! 6-7 yards a pop and a check down or two a game will keep the defense honest.

Drew cannot make it through a season and still have the same arm juice it’s been proven. The margin is small but when you have the best roster in the NFL and the best backup QB in the NFL whose probably better then 15-16 starters we can do that.

Bridge water is not better than Winston and Taysom will continue to develop I haven’t seen him hit a brick wall yet and reguardless to your opinion IF HE wasn’t going to be utilized passing/ rushing you don’t pay him 16 million you could’ve spent elsewhere
Those players are all capable of being effective, absolutely, and it's exciting. But I just think that the available information all indicates that the team will continue to go with Drew playing (and passing) at about the same levels as he has before, as much as is possible. Although, like you, I'd like him to be fresh for the latter part of the season.

What is clearer to me is that you won't see us hitting a 51/49 run/pass ratio or capping Drew at 28 attempts, as they're both statistical extremes in today's NFL that don't fit how this team operates at it's best.

But it's all opinion right now, let's see where the season goes (if it goes).

I think Brees has 6-8 games in him. I’m all for Winston and our playmakers (including Hill) getting us to about 8-4 and having Brees
i thought we accomplished that last season. Brees was stellar before the Minnesota game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom