Drew is not very popular in the booth right now (1 Viewer)

Not a thing for me at all. I like Romo, I like anyone who can bring meaningful analysis to the game, there are so very few that can. Couldn't care less who they played for....

Folks couldn't stand his style/delivery/arrogance or whatever but Joe Thiesman knew the game very well, was just poor at delivering it....
The thing I like about Romo and I think what makes him successful is that, he obviously loves the game of football and it comes across in his excitement, inflection and wording. You feel as if you are watching it with another fan...which is why Madden was so successful.

The thing I like about Romo and I think what makes him successful is that, he obviously loves the game of football and it comes across in his excitement, inflection and wording. You feel as if you are watching it with another fan...which is why Madden was so successful.

Well put, early Madden I would agree....but I think the last number of years his schtick got old....JMO....

I said on here some time ago that he would struggle a bit in the acting/TV personality role because he just doesn’t have the same charisma or affable personality as a Manning or Romo. Pretty sure I got flamed for it. I don’t see him as painful to watch like some, but he’s not entertaining either if we’re being honest. Great man and highly intelligent, but not sure he’ll find his way to being one of the best. He just needs to serve in an analytical role — that’s where he can shine, not as a “color” analyst. I’ve been in Los Angeles and in the industry long enough to know some folks have that shine and others just don’t. You know it when you see it and, while you can certainly get better on camera, you can’t will that magic. You have it or you don’t.

He’ll find some comfort and lighten up a bit, but he’s still gonna be Drew and that’s ok.

i don't think he's as bad as everyone is saying. However, it is a very difficult transition to make im sure. maybe he needs someone in his head telling him what to say LOL. just kidding........i have a lot of faith in D.Brees he will go as far as he wants too!

while i agree he should loosen up and relax I also don’t think he should go out of his way to develop this typical NFL announcer persona. Just call the games and break down plays. In this instance I don’t think boring is bad because I find myself muting a lot of broadcasts due to bad, over the top announcing.

Well put, early Madden I would agree....but I think the last number of years his schtick got old....JMO....
Yeah he became a caricature of himself. He knew it was a brand at that point.

i don't think he's as bad as everyone is saying. However, it is a very difficult transition to make im sure. maybe he needs someone in his head telling him what to say LOL. just kidding........i have a lot of faith in D.Brees he will go as far as he wants too!
Exactly. Brees has little experience broadcasting and everyone expects him to be great and perfect. It takes practice.

Read what Mike Golic had to say about Drew and the situation he is in.

When Drew started doing the Notre Dame games, people would tweet at me, ‘what do you think?’ I said listen, I’m not judging a guy when he just starts. He’s a walk-in Hall of Famer. But he’s now in a different world of learning timing and everything that goes with a TV broadcast, which he’ll learn.

Golic on Brees

I’ll echo a lot of the sentiments on this thread. Drew is green right now. He’s got to get more time since he’s not a “natural” commentator like Romo or even Greg Olsen. The guys who made the transition from the field to the upper-tier announcing teams had to transition through some awkward developmental times.

Phil Simms did a few years on the middle tier before he got team up with Nantes for a few years. Chris Collinsworth was a 3rd wheel on the Madden/Summeral calls for a year or two on Fox.

The issue is that every network is looking for the next Romo. The charismatic ex-QB who can call a play before it happens.

Drew isn’t naturally that guy but he has a lot or room to grow.

Romo is goofy af. I don't know why he's the standard. Goofy with a side of A.D.D.

He’s always been this way though. One of the comments said he’s very corporate, which is a good description. He’s never been outspoken. His interviews have always sounded generic
Ok my time I’ve ever seen any real personality from him was when he went on Mark and Cams podcast

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom