Drew knew it all along ( My Conspiracy Theory ) Long Read (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Let's go back to the season before last when Drew goes down. Teddy Bridgewater steps in and looks competent.
Goes 5-0 and essentially plays his way out of New Orleans. The cap situation meant someone had to go , and it
was Teddy. Around this time Sean was hinting about Taysom's " Steve Young " like potential , so Sean felt validated in
keeping Taysom and letting Carolina walk off with Bridgewater. Sean knows though , he may have just lost what could've
been the future franchise QB. But we were in " WIN NOW " mode and we were very much so living in the moment. Plus Drew
not retiring changes things.

1. Brady doesn't come to NOLA ends up going to Tampa ( We didn't know at the time )
2. Bridgewater takes his chances elsewhere knowing Drew will be back and the iron was hot for him to strike a starting QB gig somewhere.
3. Because Brady ends up going to Tampa , Tampa in turn releases Jameis Winston who in turn signs with , us. :unsure:

Now things get all jacked up in 2020 , but Jameis becomes a Saint , and Drew takes a liking to him. Drew has tremendous amounts of respect and Jameis has
the same if not more for Drew in addition to adoration. Jameis Winston put his “ego aside” to get “Harvard education” in QB play. That's what him coming here
was supposed to be about. Learn and leave , like Teddy did. My guess is it didn't take too long to before Drew and Sean realized how special he was. Not starter
special. HOF special. Drew constantly mentors him , Taysom grows a bit jealous. He want's to be seen as a QB and Sean won't stop bringing in guys that are better
than him. Around this time , Taysom drops the " If the Saints don't view me as QB 'then I have to leave " statement. It was getting to him.

Drew goes down again , Seans instincts tell him to put Jameis in. If Taysom was the guy , this is where he would've gotten the nod. But deep in Sean's heart he knew
what he had just found. His future QB. He needed someone in the game against the 9'ers that wasn't going to cost us postseason seeding. Jameis righted the ship.
Played okay.

I'm pretty sure Sean and Mickey Loomis had a good talk about who would take the mantle for Drew while he was out. From this point forward , it was a chess game.
They had just dealt with exposing a rehabbed QB to the NFL world and lost him , they didn't want to repeat last seasons mistakes. Plus , Sean had to see what it was
he truly had at hand in Taysom Hill. Sean wasn't about to lose another Franchise QB by tipping his hand too early. The end of the season approaches , Tampa comes
to the dome. Their suffocating Defense makes a battered , still recovering aged Drew Brees struggle. Sean doesn't want to just give up his season. Jameis comes in ,
Drops a dime on his old team. Sean's a smart smart man. This was foreshadowing. This was him acknowledging the musical chairs that had just taken place , and his way
of reminding the Bucs that although they might win now , He took their future from them
. A small part of me thinks Sean wanted to play Jameis but Drew was an
absolute warrior and he let him go out on his shield. What a legend. ( Miss you Drew )

Drew looks at Jameis on the sideline and nobody knows what was said , But Drew Knew. Drew knew the whole time.

Drew walks towards the tunnel one last time , gives the dome a second look. If Jameis Winston weren't here , I bet he'd have returned. But he knows it's his time. He knows
Jameis's time.

Fast forward to training camp. As predicted , the former Heisman winning , #1 overall pick , former Pro Bowl QB in his prime , beat out the older athlete who can throw.

How ironic it is , that we only ended up with Jameis because Drew wanted another try ? Of all the things this man has given us , his last gift might end up being the greatest.
His successor.

Attachments

• A picture says alot.jpg
    A picture says alot.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Teaching.jpg
    Teaching.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Respect.jpg
    Respect.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 33
  • At Peace.jpg
    At Peace.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Jameis.jpg
    Jameis.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 40
I don't think it was a big conspiracy. A couple of things stand out though. One, Drew not retiring and Teddy playing well was definitely a lesson for Loomis/Payton in we can't let another guy getaway sense. Hence, Taysom starting last year gave him a legitimate shot to prove what he could do and it kept Jameis largely under wraps. Two, we all saw the clip where Drew basically said this is your team now. I've consistently said Payton knew what he had in both guys but as a man of his word, he had to have an open competition even though he had an idea of who was better.

I kind of had the same viewpoint in some of these things, but not 100%. When Drew got hurt and Winston came in and still kept us in with a very little playbook, I was like, ok, we got this while Drew was out. Then Taysom started the next game while Winston hung out on the sidelines.

I was kind of shocked, but Taysom played ok and got us some wins. Even though it wasn't perfect, I figured Taysom knew more of the playbook than Winston so maybe that was the right call.

Drew retired because I think his body had been through enough over the past 3 seasons and he also felt Winston could take over the job.

Coach wanted a QB competition. I think he wanted both to push themselves and truly evaluate which is better. With Winston having more of the playbook, it was a smart decision. I also think it could have gone either way until coach got to see more.

I'm happy for the the team and look forward to the season.

Let's go back to the season before last when Drew goes down. Teddy Bridgewater steps in and looks competent.
Goes 5-0 and essentially plays his way out of New Orleans. The cap situation meant someone had to go , and it
was Teddy. Around this time Sean was hinting about Taysom's " Steve Young " like potential , so Sean felt validated in
keeping Taysom and letting Carolina walk off with Bridgewater. Sean knows though , he may have just lost what could've
been the future franchise QB. But we were in " WIN NOW " mode and we were very much so living in the moment. Plus Drew

1. Brady doesn't come to NOLA ends up going to Tampa ( We didn't know at the time )
2. Bridgewater takes his chances elsewhere knowing Drew will be back and the iron was hot for him to strike a starting QB gig somewhere.
3. Because Brady ends up going to Tampa , Tampa in turn releases Jameis Winston who in turn signs with , us. :unsure:

Now things get all jacked up in 2020 , but Jameis becomes a Saint , and Drew takes a liking to him. Drew has tremendous amounts of respect and Jameis has
the same if not more for Drew in addition to adoration. Jameis Winston put his “ego aside” to get “Harvard education” in QB play. That's what him coming here
was supposed to be about. Learn and leave , like Teddy did. My guess is it didn't take too long to before Drew and Sean realized how special he was. Not starter
special. HOF special. Drew constantly mentors him , Taysom grows a bit jealous. He want's to be seen as a QB and Sean won't stop bringing in guys that are better
than him. Around this time , Taysom drops the " If the Saints don't view me as QB 'then I have to leave " statement. It was getting to him.

Drew goes down again , Seans instincts tell him to put Jameis in. If Taysom was the guy , this is where he would've gotten the nod. But deep in Sean's heart he knew
what he had just found. His future QB. He needed someone in the game against the 9'ers that wasn't going to cost us postseason seeding. Jameis righted the ship.
Played okay.

I'm pretty sure Sean and Mickey Loomis had a good talk about who would take the mantle for Drew while he was out. From this point forward , it was a chess game.
They had just dealt with exposing a rehabbed QB to the NFL world and lost him , they didn't want to repeat last seasons mistakes. Plus , Sean had to see what it was
he truly had at hand in Taysom Hill. Sean wasn't about to lose another Franchise QB by tipping his hand too early. The end of the season approaches , Tampa comes
to the dome. Their suffocating Defense makes a battered , still recovering aged Drew Brees struggle. Sean doesn't want to just give up his season. Jameis comes in ,
Drops a dime on his old team. Sean's a smart smart man. This was foreshadowing. This was him acknowledging the musical chairs that had just taken place , and his way
of reminding the Bucs that although they might win now , He took their future from them
absolute warrior and he let him go out on his shield. What a legend. ( Miss you Drew )

Drew looks at Jameis on the sideline and nobody knows what was said , But Drew Knew. Drew knew the whole time.

Drew walks towards the tunnel one last time , gives the dome a second look. If Jameis Winston weren't here , I bet he'd have returned. But he knows it's his time. He knows
Jameis's time.

Fast forward to training camp. As predicted , the former Heisman winning , #1 overall pick , former Pro Bowl QB in his prime , beat out the older athlete who can throw.

How ironic it is , that we only ended up with Jameis because Drew wanted another try ? Of all the things this man has given us , his last gift might end up being the greatest.
His successor.
"He took their future from them." This is the only thing you said that I disagree with. Sean didn't take anything from Tampa they let him go. If he was their future, then they gave it away.

It's way too soon to decide if Jameis is the future for this team. One good preseason quarter against a bad team and we have found the next HOF QB???? I think if anything, Drew knew that in the last 2 seasons the injuries were mounting and that the organization was about to trip over the can they had kicked down the road to make SB runs with him. If Sean had wanted to keep Teddy and saw him as the future, he would have found a way to keep him or even get him back after Drew decided to retire. I don't see any grand strategy on Sean's part. I think he is just taking what the salary cap allows him and trying to make the best of it.

Played okay.

Jameis's time.

His successor.
Brady only went to Tampa once Drew said he was coming back

Well thought out OP. Not so sure about it being planned, but I generally agree with your conclusions. It sure seems to be working out that way.

We can only hope Winston becomes the player you envision. Very possible.

If not? Russell Wilson will be a free agent very soon......

"He took their future from them." This is the only thing you said that I disagree with. Sean didn't take anything from Tampa they let him go. If he was their future, then they gave it away.

There was never a future for Jamies in a totally inept, illogical Bruce Arians offense....

And I don't think anyone knew (including SP) that Jamies was going to be the starter after DB retired. I had a good feeling he would beat out Taysom for the job, but I was far from it was this sure thing...

It's way too soon to decide if Jameis is the future for this team. One good preseason quarter against a bad team and we have found the next HOF QB???? I think if anything, Drew knew that in the last 2 seasons the injuries were mounting and that the organization was about to trip over the can they had kicked down the road to make SB runs with him. If Sean had wanted to keep Teddy and saw him as the future, he would have found a way to keep him or even get him back after Drew decided to retire. I don't see any grand strategy on Sean's part. I think he is just taking what the salary cap allows him and trying to make the best of it.
We could not keep Teddy given the situation. He had to cash in after his long road to recovery and we had let him go. No one is proclaiming Jameis a HOF at this point but we recognize his elite talent and hope he can maximize his potential with Sean.

There was never a future for Jamies in a totally inept, illogical Bruce Arians offense....

And I don't think anyone knew (including SP) that Jamies was going to be the starter after DB retired. I had a good feeling he would beat out Taysom for the job, but I was far from it was this sure thing...

In a fair QB competition, there is simply no way Jameis would have lost to Taysom. Those who were vehemently pro-Taysom leaned on the fact that Payton started him for 4 games last year instead of Jameis. But last offseason was hardly reflective of anything remotely approaching a normal offseason. In addition, let's call it for what it is.....Payton simply developed a fixation on having Taysom be his "Steve Young following Joe Montana".

But after a more normal offseason, even Payton's initial slanted view wasn't enough to deny the fact that Jameis is simply the better quarterback.

Brady only went to Tampa once Drew said he was coming back
Here you go @gregg2g since you seem misinformed

“According to Jay Glazer, Brady was looking at joining Sean Payton and New Orleans early in the offseason. However, he waited for Brees to make the first move, and he naturally backed off once Brees confirmed that he was returning to the Saints for what could be his final season in the NFL.”

Have a good day Rook, stay safe

Last edited:

Well be that as it may, Sean did not take their future, they gave it away.

Here you go @gregg2g since you seem misinformed

“According to Jay Glazer, Brady was looking at joining Sean Payton and New Orleans early in the offseason. However, he waited for Brees to make the first move, and he naturally backed off once Brees confirmed that he was returning to the Saints for what could be his final season in the NFL.”

Have a good day, stay safe
According to your own quote, there was only interest. It says he was looking. Do you think Brady wasn't looking at all his options.? He would be a fool not to look at all his options. Looking at us as an option is not a guarantee that he was coming here. I'm not misinformed, I simply live in reality.

According to your own quote, there was only interest. It says he was looking. Do you think Brady wasn't looking at all his options.? He would be a fool not to look at all his options. Looking at us as an option is not a guarantee that he was coming here. I'm not misinformed, I simply live in reality.
No you live in your own reality. It’s been well-documented on a multitude of occasions by people with much more insight than [Mod :nono: edit] you that there was mutual interest from both parties. Heck they said during the first game with Tampa that both parties would have definitely got it done. That him and Sean had the same agent and talks were happening.

Also, I said he didn’t go to Tampa until Drew made his decision . Obviously that’s accurate and correct, no debating that. So just relax.

Sorry, you’re simply wrong. It’s ok though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom