Drew knew it all along ( My Conspiracy Theory ) Long Read (1 Viewer)

I love Taysom as much as anyone else, he was given a fair shot to win the QB spot and just didn't do enough to win it. Taysom is a decent back up QB and a great change of pace (wildcat QB), but his hesitant decision making ultimately lost it for him. He's done very well in the role Sean made for him and I hope he can swallow his pride and stick with that and being the #2 QB, if he can't and holds a grudge then he won't be here next year or may even get traded this year.

"He took their future from them." This is the only thing you said that I disagree with. Sean didn't take anything from Tampa they let him go. If he was their future, then they gave it away.
Right...i think the Bucs are fine with letting Jameis go & winning a Superbowl & will probably have another good run at it with Brady again this year.

I don't think it was a big conspiracy. A couple of things stand out though. One, Drew not retiring and Teddy playing well was definitely a lesson for Loomis/Payton in we can't let another guy getaway sense. Hence, Taysom starting last year gave him a legitimate shot to prove what he could do and it kept Jameis largely under wraps. Two, we all saw the clip where Drew basically said this is your team now. I've consistently said Payton knew what he had in both guys but as a man of his word, he had to have an open competition even though he had an idea of who was better.
I said this all off-season in so many different ways.

Somebody appears to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.
Not at all man, we are all here for the same reason. Just you were adamant you were right about something that every one here knows you were wrong about.

It’s all good! Let’s just hope our Saints show up and ball out. The heck with Brady…

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but this is ridiculous fan fiction. If Winston was part of any grand plan, or more importantly if Sean Payton felt Jameis Winston was any kind of long-term answer (let alone future HOF'er), then why is he on a 1-year contract? If Winston plays as great as you predict he will, then the Saints are gambling their future, risking he signs with another team with deeper pockets. NFL teams don't do that, which is why your theory doesn't hold water, and is a fantasy. (not to mention the team's interest in Tom Brady.)

Reality is, the Saints didn't have a high enough draft pick to acquire one of the top young QB's, and weren't 100% sold on Taysom Hill, so are giving Winston a shot, with a low-risk 1-year deal, in the same way that Teddy Bridgewater has a shot competing with their other guy Drew Lock. Because after all, 1-year contracts are what you give when you ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU'RE GETTING.

I kind of had the same viewpoint in some of these things, but not 100%. When Drew got hurt and Winston came in and still kept us in with a very little playbook, I was like, ok, we got this while Drew was out. Then Taysom started the next game while Winston hung out on the sidelines.

I was kind of shocked, but Taysom played ok and got us some wins. Even though it wasn't perfect, I figured Taysom knew more of the playbook than Winston so maybe that was the right call.

Drew retired because I think his body had been through enough over the past 3 seasons and he also felt Winston could take over the job.

Coach wanted a QB competition. I think he wanted both to push themselves and truly evaluate which is better. With Winston having more of the playbook, it was a smart decision. I also think it could have gone either way until coach got to see more.

I'm happy for the the team and look forward to the season.
think about it, hill had just got paid so it was right for him to started when DREW got hurt. winston just walked in the door .the of is WINSTON was learning his playbook and not the one DREW& hill was using .

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but this is ridiculous fan fiction. If Winston was part of any grand plan, or more importantly if Sean Payton felt Jameis Winston was any kind of long-term answer (let alone future HOF'er), then why is he on a 1-year contract? If Winston plays as great as you predict he will, then the Saints are gambling their future, risking he signs with another team with deeper pockets. NFL teams don't do that, which is why your theory doesn't hold water, and is a fantasy. (not to mention the team's interest in Tom Brady.)

Reality is, the Saints didn't have a high enough draft pick to acquire one of the top young QB's, and weren't 100% sold on Taysom Hill, so are giving Winston a shot, with a low-risk 1-year deal, in the same way that Teddy Bridgewater has a shot competing with their other guy Drew Lock. Because after all, 1-year contracts are what you give when you ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU'RE GETTING.
not true why pay him now when they will have to put in the trash after the season.

You mean the same offense that won the Super Bowl earlier this year?
Actually, no. The offense that Jameis played in under Arians was his "no riskit, no bisquit" offense. While that was what they started with last year, it wasn't until Brady convinced Arians to change (3Q?) that the Bucs became the SB offense to which you refer.

Remember that Brady started off with 11 ints under the same offense that Jameis played in. That was very un-Brady like, but very Arians like. He had one int. after they changed the offense to a more conservative, less risky SB winning offense.

So no, not the same offense that that won the SB.

Last edited:
You mean the same offense that won the Super Bowl earlier this year?

As others have already accurately stated, that is a hard no. That offense went out the window after we blew them out 34-3. Tom Brady basically told Arians he was taking over the offense and they went more max protect to compensate for an average TB oline....

Let's go back to the season before last when Drew goes down. Teddy Bridgewater steps in and looks competent.
Goes 5-0 and essentially plays his way out of New Orleans. The cap situation meant someone had to go , and it
was Teddy. Around this time Sean was hinting about Taysom's " Steve Young " like potential , so Sean felt validated in
keeping Taysom and letting Carolina walk off with Bridgewater. Sean knows though , he may have just lost what could've
been the future franchise QB. But we were in " WIN NOW " mode and we were very much so living in the moment. Plus Drew
not retiring changes things.

1. Brady doesn't come to NOLA ends up going to Tampa ( We didn't know at the time )
2. Bridgewater takes his chances elsewhere knowing Drew will be back and the iron was hot for him to strike a starting QB gig somewhere.
3. Because Brady ends up going to Tampa , Tampa in turn releases Jameis Winston who in turn signs with , us. :unsure:

Now things get all jacked up in 2020 , but Jameis becomes a Saint , and Drew takes a liking to him. Drew has tremendous amounts of respect and Jameis has
the same if not more for Drew in addition to adoration. Jameis Winston put his “ego aside” to get “Harvard education” in QB play. That's what him coming here
was supposed to be about. Learn and leave , like Teddy did. My guess is it didn't take too long to before Drew and Sean realized how special he was. Not starter
special. HOF special. Drew constantly mentors him , Taysom grows a bit jealous. He want's to be seen as a QB and Sean won't stop bringing in guys that are better
than him. Around this time , Taysom drops the " If the Saints don't view me as QB 'then I have to leave " statement. It was getting to him.

Drew goes down again , Seans instincts tell him to put Jameis in. If Taysom was the guy , this is where he would've gotten the nod. But deep in Sean's heart he knew
what he had just found. His future QB. He needed someone in the game against the 9'ers that wasn't going to cost us postseason seeding. Jameis righted the ship.
Played okay.

I'm pretty sure Sean and Mickey Loomis had a good talk about who would take the mantle for Drew while he was out. From this point forward , it was a chess game.
They had just dealt with exposing a rehabbed QB to the NFL world and lost him , they didn't want to repeat last seasons mistakes. Plus , Sean had to see what it was
he truly had at hand in Taysom Hill. Sean wasn't about to lose another Franchise QB by tipping his hand too early. The end of the season approaches , Tampa comes
to the dome. Their suffocating Defense makes a battered , still recovering aged Drew Brees struggle. Sean doesn't want to just give up his season. Jameis comes in ,
Drops a dime on his old team. Sean's a smart smart man. This was foreshadowing. This was him acknowledging the musical chairs that had just taken place , and his way
of reminding the Bucs that although they might win now , He took their future from them
. A small part of me thinks Sean wanted to play Jameis but Drew was an
absolute warrior and he let him go out on his shield. What a legend. ( Miss you Drew )

Drew looks at Jameis on the sideline and nobody knows what was said , But Drew Knew. Drew knew the whole time.

Drew walks towards the tunnel one last time , gives the dome a second look. If Jameis Winston weren't here , I bet he'd have returned. But he knows it's his time. He knows
Jameis's time.

Fast forward to training camp. As predicted , the former Heisman winning , #1 overall pick , former Pro Bowl QB in his prime , beat out the older athlete who can throw.

How ironic it is , that we only ended up with Jameis because Drew wanted another try ? Of all the things this man has given us , his last gift might end up being the greatest.
His successor.
Fan Fiction at it's finest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom