Drew's 1st 3 games in 06 (1 Viewer)

We'll see.... I was was quite impressed after game 1, though it wasn't all on Winston in game two, we all came back down to earth. Even yesterday there were quite a few moments where he held on the ball too long and made some pretty bad decisions. I'm just not ready to crown him yet... When he shows consistency without bad decisions, I'll get back with you...

Even with that second TD...

i laughed out loud when i saw that yesterday and i was certain that would have been one of our bigger threads...

as a teacher i HAVE to believe that coaching matters, while at the same time realizing it can be a painfully tedious process
but i hope more than fear

That's right, Drew had one of the best receiving running backs (and first ballot HOFer) in history bolstering his stats.

Completion percentages were .62 Drew vs. .61 Jameis.

Comparable.
It's not comparable. Brees wasn't given many opportunities to pass in SD. I could be wrong, but every game I've seen it seems that JW was passing consistently in TB. That's my reasoning for why the comparisons are unfair.

If we compare Brees 2002-2005 vs Winston 2015-2019...are the stats even close? Especially considering JW attempts are far more than Brees due to LT's great rush style with SD. So they shouldn't be even in stats in completions. Brees was a game manager in SD, opposite of Winston. Brees also came from a era when defenses were allowed to play receivers without getting flagged on every play.

When Brees' job was on the line and Marty let him play QB he thrived in 2004. Winston has yet to do so. Again, I'll allow more time, but I think we're coming up with so many as to why he's not up to speed. This comparison thing sounds like another excuse for his poor play. My reaction may be premature, but I can only go by what I've seen this year and the games I've seen of him in his first 4 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-105214.png
    Screenshot_20210927-105214.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210927-105129.png
    Screenshot_20210927-105129.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 1
It's not comparable. Brees wasn't given many opportunities to pass in SD. I could be wrong, but every game I've seen it seems that JW was passing consistently in TB. That's my reasoning for why the comparisons are unfair.

If we compare Brees 2002-2005 vs Winston 2015-2019...are the stats even close? Especially considering JW attempts are far more than Brees due to LT's great rush style with SD. So they shouldn't be even in stats in completions. Brees was a game manager in SD, opposite of Winston. Brees also came from a era when defenses were allowed to play receivers without getting flagged on every play.

When Brees' job was on the line and Marty let him play QB he thrived in 2004. Winston has yet to do so. Again, I'll allow more time, but I think we're coming up with so many as to why he's not up to speed. This comparison thing sounds like another excuse for his poor play. My reaction may be premature, but I can only go by what I've seen this year and the games I've seen of him in his first 4 years.

They are different eras so you can’t compare the stats directly. What I like to do is compare them to their peers at that time.

For instance. In 2004 Drew was the 3rd rated QB in the NFL. In 2005 he was 10th. In 2018 Jameis was 24th. In 2019 he was 26th.

i think Sean has played it super coy , with all the team went through, essentially 3 straight road games... missing stud WR etc, i think he opens things up this sunday

Patience people. We have no idea what JW will turn out to be. It's too early to tell. By the end of this year we should know whether he is viable going forward.

Comparing him to Drew is probably not gonna do him any favors. although the point is well made here that Drew improved a lot so we should wait and see if Winston does the same.

There's nothing wrong with the arm
There's nothing wrong with his progessions
There is nothing wrong with his pocket presence

He's literally a good qb minus the ability to.....

Not do something incredibly dumb in certain intervals of the game that could cost us dearly.

I finally saw what the issue is and the differences between him and DB..

If DB had a game like yesterday during any of his prime years... we would say "is something wrong with Drew?" " is Drew injured?"

That being said.. he's our best option right now.. by a extremely wide margin and Hill wasn't even close..

People on this forum seem to think the only way that Winston can be successful with the Saints is to be the second coming of Drew Brees. The comparisons are inevitable but there are multiple quarterbacks who have won the Superbowl who weren't nearly as good as Drew Brees.

Lol lot of missing the point here. Yeah, Jameis will likely not be a hall of famer, just playing the odds. But to the OP’s point when you look at their respective numbers coming into NOLA, they’re basically the same (and they are only about a week apart in age from when they started in NOLA). The point being we didn’t know Drew was a Hall of Famer in September 2006 and nothing about his numbers then was remarkable enough to predict it. And maybe Jameis never really transcends, or maybe a few years under Sean will do the same thing it did to Drew - turn a mid-level starter into a HOFer. We just can’t know yet.

We are not missing the point. You and OP are making a bad argument. The numbers may be close, but the conditions around those numbers are not only completely different, they are stacked against Brees: rookie coach, new playbook, coming back from an injury many thought was career ending, never threw a pass to any of his receivers before June-July of that year, 36 new players on the team...

If you want to say "we don't know how Winston's career is going to end", fine, but bringing up Brees' numbers when he came to N.O. is completely irrelevant.

We are not missing the point. You and OP are making a bad argument. The numbers may be close, but the conditions around those numbers are not only completely different, they are stacked against Brees: rookie coach, new playbook, coming back from an injury many thought was career ending, never threw a pass to any of his receivers before June-July of that year, 36 new players on the team...

If you want to say "we don't know how Winston's career is going to end", fine, but bringing up Brees' numbers when he came to N.O. is completely irrelevant.
It's a lot fairer to compare Jameis now to Drew 2006 than it is to compare Jameis now to Drew 2011, which is what people seem to be trying to do.

The combination of Duece and Bush is better than the combo of Jones and Kamara,

That story hasn't been completely written yet....Kamara is better than either of them and Jones could turn out to be a very quality back....

Stop trying to make yourself feel better by comparing 2 totally different qbs. Jameis is a game manager Drew is a hall of famer.

These "comparisons" are just really, really dumb....No real Saints fan in their right mind would think Jamies is going to pick up where a DB in his prime left off....SP is bringing him along slowly, building his confidence, by mid season when we have a complete team back (barring injuries), lets see how this offense is going....it's been 3 games under trying circumstances....My goodness folks are quick to judge and doom....

It's a lot fairer to compare Jameis now to Drew 2006 than it is to compare Jameis now to Drew 2011, which is what people seem to be trying to do.

What it is, you should not be comparing them at all, especially 2006 Drew. Again, the numbers may look close, but the conditions in which each player attained those numbers are vastly different. If memory serves me right, when Brees came to N.O. in 2006, his arm wasn't 100%, he didn't sit behind a future HoF'er for a season learning the playbook, in a well established program under a SB winning coach with 15 years of head coaching experience, etc etc etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom