Drew's fumble recovery (1 Viewer)

danr5160

All-Pro
Reaction score
I hope you all recognize what that tells us about Drew. In 2005, his trying to recover a fumble ended his season, and his career with San Diego. The doctor at the time was pretty vocal about how badly Drew's shoulder got torn up. So with such an injury, he'd think twice before going after another fumble, right? I mean, wouldn't you? Not necessarily consciously, but something sub-conscious would instinctively make a person hesitate, wouldn't you think?

I watched that play a few times, and there was no hesitation in Drew. He even came out of the pile minus a helmet, but not only did he dive for the loose ball he came up with it. Wow.

It gets overlooked, but that fumble recovery by Drew and the 4th down hard count that drew the offsides were two of the most critical plays in the game, especially outside the obvious 2 defensive TDs. Both involved Drew Brees doing something that doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

Brees' stats are nice and will be awesome by the end of the season, but being a championship quarterback goes way, way beyond just that.

Don't forget about the block to ensure the 1st down by Bush. Brees and this football team are not taking "no" for an answer.

Man, I'd almost rather lose a fumble than have Brees diving down there after them.

Brees' stats are nice and will be awesome by the end of the season, but being a championship quarterback goes way, way beyond just that.

To go with that, the only time Peyton Manning won a championship, his postseason stats were extremely pedestrian. One player alone putting up gaudy numbers can't win consistently in the NFL.

I was shocked to see Drew come out of the pile, didn't see him go after the ball. Yes, the OP is right, it is simply amazing that he went for it after the severe injury he sustained in SD doing that exact same thing. But, it was a critical time, the Saints couldn't afford to lose another possession, they needed points there.

Also, great post by Spam, the hard count on 4th down was also crucial to this game.

The D should be the talk of this game, no doubt, and the people who only read stat sheets will say Drew had a bad game, but there were ways he helped his team even without the gaudy passing numbers.

Way to go, Brees!

I'm pretty sure we all cringed on that one! Helluva play though.

I know I sure did. Guess I have to stop thinking Drew is a fragile piece of China. He is well conditioned athlete who just happened to take a shot that nearly ended his career & put the Saints on the map for years to come.

But I think all fans whose teams have amazing QB's cringe in similar circumstances. Do you think Indy fans like seeing Manning jumping into a pile alongside 1200+ LBS of Offensive & Defensive linemen, all jumping at the same time, LMAO......

I'm pretty sure we all cringed on that one! Helluva play though.

It scared me so much I had to go pee.

Clearly I am a big wimp and nowhere near as tough as Brees--or any of the rest of those guys. :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom