Drive Friendly Dallasites (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Especially Friday morning. Winter Storm Watch is up for freezing rain/sleet Thursday night through Friday afternoon. This should be upgraded to a Warning tomorrow morning/afternoon. With any luck, the air column will remain < 32 degrees throughout this precip and we get all snow. Or mostly sleet, but that's not much less dangerous to drive on either.

Especially Friday morning. Winter Storm Watch is up for freezing rain/sleet Thursday night through Friday afternoon. This should be upgraded to a Warning tomorrow morning/afternoon. With any luck, the air column will remain < 32 degrees throughout this precip and we get all snow. Or mostly sleet, but that's not much less dangerous to drive on either.

+1.

Still on track. Tomorrow mornings commute could be a huge mess. Be prepared for wall-to-wall coverage of ice trucks and skid-outs and other assorted slipping and sliding video. The news channels will almost certainly give this icy weather event a name as well. Something like, "North Texas Ice Storm Armaggedon 2008".

Is this an unprecedented weather event? :)

Just one more reason I'm happy to be a telecommuter.

I haven't even had to gas up the Mustang this month.

I prefer the term 'Dallasians' over 'Dallasites'

Depends on who's filing the lawsuit. How'd that go, btw?

The lawyer that had that case left the firm and took it with him, but the case is still going. Set for trial in a couple of months last I heard from him.

Just one more reason I'm happy to be a telecommuter.

Yeah, the laptop is coming home with me tonight and I'll work from there if the weather is too bad to drive in.

Sandman, sounds like it's been going on a while. I don't all about that lawyering and stuff, but severe weather isn't unprecedented up here, so I don't how that lawyer intends to win that case. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Here's an email from a Houston pro-met on this weather event for DFW:

Winter Storm Watch issued along and W of a line from Temple to Paris including all of the Dallas/Fort Worth metro areas.

Freezing rain and icing likely tonight with significant travel problems for Friday morning.

Discussion:

Cold arctic surge has overspread all of N TX this morning with temps. near freezing in many areas and gusty N winds. Dewpoints have fallen into the teens areawide. Noisy sub-tropical flow with strong impulse off of Baja will eject across TX tonight. Impressive warm air advection regime will begin as Gulf moisture is pulled northward over the near freezing surface cold dome resulting in gradual ascent of the moist air mass above the cold surface air isentropic lifting. It will take several hours to moisten the low layer enough for precip to reach the ground however once the atmosphere reaches that point rain will begin to fall. With such low dewpoints in place the falling rain will at first evaporate as it fall toward the surface lowering the air temp toward the dewpoint while the dewpoint rising toward the air temp until the near surface layer is saturated wet bulb cooling.

Temps. will recover very little today under clouds and cold air advection likely peaking in the mid to upper 30’s. As isentropic processes begin this evening the cloud bases will lower and light rain will break out from the SW to the NE while surface temps. are wet bulbed to freezing and below. Icing will begin out W and SW this evening and overspread all of the area after midnight. Expect elevated surface to glaze first power lines, trees, overpasses, and highway flyovers. By Friday AM with several hours of freezing rain having occurred expect surface streets to ice over along with highway mainlanes.

Current expected ice accumulations to range from 1/10th of an inch at the SE edge of the Watch area to over 1/3rd of an inch over the NW part of the watch area. For the DFW area accumulations of 1/10th to 1/4th of an inch of ice look likely. Needless to say significant disruption in travel is likely after midnight tonight through about noon on Friday. It does not appear at this time enough glazing will occur to result in power line failures this is more a surface and air travel concern icing event.

Will reassess this afternoon and may fire off another e-mail if any big changes look likely and new model data comes in.

Perhaps so, just don't don't send it down here. A slight dusting of snow or whatever can and will shut this city down for days. Yes, I said DAYS.
Please Do send it our way. I love shutting the city down for ice days, then spending the time at Hancock (park/golf course) competing with my neighbors. The object is to come up with a good sled/slider, ride it down one of the hills further than anyone else AND WITHOUT LANDING IN THE CREEK. What else is there to do when it's too cold and dangerous to go to work?

Yay!!!!

I have a 10:00AM flight to San Fran via DFW tomorrow.
The last time I dealt with DFW and Ice, I sat on the tarmac for 4-1/2 hours!!!
I also had to get out of my seat to address (almost violently) the guy that kept up with the "wow, we could be landing in fill_in_the_city, now" every 15 minutes!

Sure hope it's better from the Departure POV.

i'm bringing work home tonight. sweet

Except for Cowgirls fans, y'all can drive recklessly, that's ok. Just don't slam your rig into any Who Dats. :hihi:

Sandman, sounds like it's been going on a while. I don't all about that lawyering and stuff, but severe weather isn't unprecedented up here, so I don't how that lawyer intends to win that case. Seems like a waste of time and money.

It isn't necessarily about winning. That is a loser argument, and I think they know that. They have other defenses, too, but none of them are very strong. I think this is more of the insurance company wanting to sit on the money as long as they can. They delay all claims as long as possible and earn interest on that money. While it may not be a lot of money for that particular case, if you have a company-wide standard of delaying payment of claims, that will add up pretty quickly. So for the insurance company, they are making money...not wasting it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom