DT in Second Round (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just a hunch that Ellis will be off the board to Cincinnati at 9--unless we trade up with Baltimore--and that the Saints go defensive tackle in round two. And an early prediction in round two: Trevor Laws, who is rising on the draft boards.

I like Trevor Laws, he seems like a very high character guy, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in a Saint's uniform next year.

I hope we get either Ellis or Dorsey because their is going to be a ton of corners available to us in the second round.

stupid question, are dorsey/ellis the only DT's worth the # 10 spot? I'm sure the answer is no since those are the only two I ever hear about, but just asking.

I agree we should go after Laws.....I just hope he's still there in round two. I've got my doubts that he will be.

I like Frank Okam in the 3rd if we can't get Dorsey/Ellis. Actually even if we got one of those in the 1st I wouldn't mind Okam in the 3rd

I hope we pick up Trevor Laws in the second after we acquire a CB in the first. If Trevor is gone I would take a chance on Pat Sims.

Okam killed his stock he might be there in the 4th or 5th.

We don't have a 4th round pick so we'd have to trade back up or hope he's there in the 5th (I can't see he will be). He's a big run stuffer who had 10 career sacks in college. Last year was his most productive with 49 tackles, 10 for a loss and 5 sacks.

If McFadden is on the board at pick no. 10 we have to take him. Saints need a reliable RB something bad. TE also...

If McFadden is on the board at pick no. 10 we have to take him. Saints need a reliable RB something bad. TE also...

I don't know why. If McFadden was on the board at ten, that would probably represent the only situation in which we could trade back. I would be on the horn with Chicago and Detroit, who will both likely be looking for a RB. Dallas could also be interested.

This FO would never take a RB in the first 2 rounds. Not with Reggie on our team. Will not happen

Laws in the second is the way to go.

I think Laws has the potential to actually outshine either Dorsey or Ellis if either one slacks even a bit. Laws is a GOGETTER. He loves playing, has a non-stop motor and is only valued as low as he is because he didn't play for USC or LSU.

I love Sedrick Ellis. He's gonna be a great 1-gap DT in this league. But he can play high at times and he seems to get washed down easily if double-teamed. I rewatched the senior bowl last night...Ellis had a decent game. He had a couple big plays in the game , but was handled fairly well for the most part. Everytime he was double-teamed he got washed down or pushed back. He never stalemated or beat the double teams....he needs more moves/better technique to get past those. Now while he does have faults with his double-teams he cannot be single-teamed. He's too strong , fast,and athletic. So yeah , if he's available at 10 take him, but get coach O on his butt early to teach him Double-team techniques cause it's just not there yet. Speaking of the Senior bowl...i feel Ellis was thoroughly outplayed by Trevor Laws of Notre Dame. I know he's a fan favorite around here. Laws was never washed down , never pushed back into the LB space ,always either stalemated or got through the double teams.
I know it seems like i'm judging Ellis and saying he's not worthy of a top 10 pick but he's a force when single-teamed.
In my pseudo-analyst way of thinking....i could care less how big,strong,fast,athletic you are when it comes to evaluating a DT. I wanna see you get double-teamed and see how you handle it.If you can handle a double team then i know you won't have any trouble with the other aspects of the position. Laws just did it better. But he honestly had to deal with double-teams more since he was the only player of any validity on that horrid Notre Dame Defense so i'm not surprised he adjusted and knows how to handle them better.
So in my opinion...Laws is a better all-around DT but Ellis is a far superior pass-rusher which is why he's more highly rated in my opinion. But i'd rather stand pat at 10 and take DRC/Mckelvin/Gholston or trade down and get Laws somewhere in the later half of the 1st or with our 2nd rounder if we can't get a top 2 DT. I'd much rather have a DT that can stand up a double team and keep them from releasing to the next level and eating our LBs up.
Here are my DT rankings:

1. Glenn Dorsey - No DT is in the same league as him. Does everything excellent whether it be dealing with Double-teams or getting into the backfield.
2. Sedrick Ellis - Hands down the best pass rushing DT in this draft. CANNOT be single teamed. Has his issues with double teams but pass-rushing ability is what gets him the 2 spot.
3.Trevor Laws - Excels at facing double teams. He just knows how to do it. It's amzing. Very productive......tackling monster for a DT.

Sedrick Ellis will make our D-line a lot better.
Trevor Laws and Glenn Dorsey will make our D-line and LBs a lot better.
But we can't go wrong with all 3 and in all honesty Ellis might just be the kinda of DT we need above the others.

If you have it tivo'd or anything go back and watch the senior bowl. Ellis and Laws both have big plays in that game but don't judge just those. Watch every single play there in. Watch how they handle the O-line they face. You'll be surpised at how much better Laws played then Ellis...................watch DRC too.......he's a freak.

.........this is just my opinion..........i could be wrong.........but if we miss out on ellis and dorsey , get laws...........i hope i'm right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom