Dt or CB ? (1 Viewer)

It all depends on what CB we can sign in FA. Keep in mind that we most likely wont have Mike McKenzie ready to play next year. When he does come back late in the year, will he still be able to run at his age? Now we need 2 starting CBs. I think we have to go CB at 10 and get a FA.

We need a CB more then a DT but I think we will take care of that in FA not the Draft.

Get a LB... Ellis won't be there, and we can still get a good CB in the 2nd and 3rd... Sign Corey Williams in free agency.

I don't care what anyone says, we could have Trufant with Sammuels on the other side and still not stop anybody with out 2 new DT. Kyle Orton was able to step into a perfectly formed pocket because we had no pressure up the middle on the QB this entire season. The easiest way to help the secondary is to put pressure on the QB. If you have all day to throw, no CB in the NFL can cover an average reciever for 5 to 6 seconds. How many backups did we make look like they were all pro this year, it is because they were running a 7 on 7 drill with no Pressure!!!

There's a reason that CB's get paid more than DT's. Add a stud DT to our team, the run D would improve some as well as the pass rush, but we still can't get off the field on 3rd down. Add a stud CB, and most of those long drives that opponents had this year are stopped. Those long drives tire the defense, and keep our O off the field.

We lost most games because in the late 3rd and 4th quarter, our D could not stop anyone on 3rd down.

It depends on the players grade. If Ellis is a ProBowl type player then you take him vs. a good CB. Its all relative.

Personally i think if we enter the Draft needing a CB or DT to hit the field opening day we are in trouble.

I don't care what anyone says, we could have Trufant with Sammuels on the other side and still not stop anybody with out 2 new DT. Kyle Orton was able to step into a perfectly formed pocket because we had no pressure up the middle on the QB this entire season. The easiest way to help the secondary is to put pressure on the QB. If you have all day to throw, no CB in the NFL can cover an average reciever for 5 to 6 seconds. How many backups did we make look like they were all pro this year, it is because they were running a 7 on 7 drill with no Pressure!!!

Maybe that is because the DL has to read run first because our LB are very inadequate. It is easier to get pressure when you can read the run on the way to the QB but our ends and tackles had to read run while playing run and then rush the QB.

Just throwing other options out there.

I think that the decision of which position to draft will depend on what kind of changes are made to the defense. Right now the Saints only have three healthy CB's on the roster. The team now has the flexibility to shift to a cover 2 or find two man to man corners. I think that if the Saints want to stay with the man to man scheme (which I like) they will be best served to improve the pass rush because even Deion Sanders wouldn't help with the kind of time that Saints opponents are afforded.

With that said I believe that DT's take a long time to develop. If we want instant gratification this off-season we should hope for DT to be addressed via free agency.

My second step toward instant gratification is linebackers. I would try to address this via free agency if possible. While I believe that linebacker is the most likely spot to find a player who can help immediately from the draft I would like to see the team fill all holes before the draft. If the Saints leave any holes in the defense before the draft I think that this will be the likely place.

If the Saints stay with man coverage and a good corner is available in the draft I think that they should take him but don't plan on him starting soon. It's a tough position. This is best filled in free agency but it isn't cheap and man corners are seldom available.

Safety is, in my opinion the second most likely position to find immediate help in the draft. I really like Kenny Phillips and would love to see him drafted if he is there at #10. I think that he will be a huge help early and contribute at a high level for a long time. I think that proper safety play will be a huge help to the corners. I think that a safety being in the right place at the right time would allow a corner the peace of mind to worry only about his job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom