DTs Tillery and Willis red flags? (1 Viewer)

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
http://walterfootball.com/draft2019DT.php

Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
Teams have red flagged Tillery's draft report with serious character concerns. Every source with a handful of teams who went through Notre Dame heard about significant character issues with Tillery. It is so renowned that even during TV broadcasts, there were mentions of Tillery being a bad teammate and that he was trying to change that. Team sources say not only are they concerned about Tillery in the locker room, they also are worried about him failing tests and getting suspensions in the NFL. Tillery is a known partier, so it hurt him to miss out on the Senior Bowl interviews to address those concerns and work on convincing teams that he has grown out of those past behaviors.

Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami
Willis comes with off-the-field concerns. He started out his career at Florida before transferring to Miami. He took a leave of absence from the team in 2017 and had suspensions during the 2016 season. Willis is the younger brother of New York Giants safety Landon Collins

Never heard anything about Tillery, but I heard stuff about Willis back when LSU recruited him. Not that this is related, but Willis is the brother of Landon Collins. Something to think about come draft time. You might see the Redskins draft Willis understanding that Collins will be there to set the example similar to when the Cardinals draft Tyrann Mathieu due to his close relationship with PP21.

The only way I would be okay with drafting Tillery was if he was available in the 7th round. Which could be possible bc he as major character concerns.

If I were a GM, the worst thing I could hear about a player is they dont love football. If you dont love what your doing then your not going to dedicate your free time to something you dont love.

Development in the NFL is all about what you have between your ears. Everyone in the NFL is athletic. What separates Superstars from average nfl players is work ethic and the ability to be coached. If you dont love what your doing it's hard to care about getting better.

Willis I'm not as worried about although still wouldn't draft him at 62. I do like his game. He has the best Swim move out of any DT in this draft,but he doesnt posses a back up plan in case that swim move doesnt work. Which is okay bc that can be developed, but bc of the character issues, that's something you would have to think about before drafting a guy like him. If hes there in the 5th, jump on it, then it would become a low risk high reward draft pick. Rounds 2 or 3, idk you have to be confident in your evaluation. That's something we as fans dont get to do.

Never heard anything about Tillery, but I heard stuff about Willis back when LSU recruited him. Not that this is related, but Willis is the brother of Landon Collins. Something to think about come draft time. You might see the Redskins draft Willis understanding that Collins will be there to set the example similar to when the Cardinals draft Tyrann Mathieu due to his close relationship with PP21.

Kind off topic, but kind of relevant, Willis destroyed LSU this year with the same Swim Move I was talking about in the comment above.

If you want some tape to watch on Willis utilizing that nasty move, watch the lsu game. He does it to them all game.

If you want to watch tape on how he reacts when an offensive lineman controls that nasty move, watch Chris Lindstrom and the bunch at the Boston College game. They really took him out the game

The only way I would be okay with drafting Tillery was if he was available in the 7th round. Which could be possible bc he as major character concerns.

If I were a GM, the worst thing I could hear about a player is they dont love football. If you dont love what your doing then your not going to dedicate your free time to something you dont love.

Development in the NFL is all about what you have between your ears. Everyone in the NFL is athletic. What separates Superstars from average nfl players is work ethic and the ability to be coached. If you dont love what your doing it's hard to care about getting better.

Willis I'm not as worried about although still wouldn't draft him at 62. I do like his game. He has the best Swim move out of any DT in this draft,but he doesnt posses a back up plan in case that swim move doesnt work. Which is okay bc that can be developed, but bc of the character issues, that's something you would have to think about before drafting a guy like him. If hes there in the 5th, jump on it, then it would become a low risk high reward draft pick. Rounds 2 or 3, idk you have to be confident in your evaluation. That's something we as fans dont get to do.

To be honest you should probably be more worried about Willis character concerns. Especially off the field and being from the New Orleans area where there can be a lot of influences from past associates.

Im a big fan of both Willis & Tillery. But, if we’re gonna roll the dice on a guy w/red flags, i’d go w/ Jachai Polite over both of them.

I'd be all over Tillery if he falls to 62. Dude looks like Fletcher Cox 2.0.

Willis has the talent to be a first round pick, but he’s a guy who wants to put in just enough effort to get that first big check. Also, I’m pretty sure he and Landon grew up in different households between split parents, so I doubt Landon could keep him in check. Tillery’s issues have always been much more vague, so I don’t have much of an opinion without knowing more.

To be honest you should probably be more worried about Willis character concerns. Especially off the field and being from the New Orleans area where there can be a lot of influences from past associates.

I am really worried about his off field concerns. That's why I said I wouldn't draft him until the fifth round if he fell. With a prospect that's talented like him in the fifth round is great value. We have a locker room that can support him and help him when it come to behavioral issues. If not, then he was just a fifth round pick. It wouldn't hurt us that much.

As far as Tillery like I said earlier, the worst thing to me when it comes to drafting a player is, hearing questionable work ethic, drive, and love of football from the people closest to him. So yeah.... that's the biggest red flag when it comes to drafting a prospect in my opinion. All the evidence states a bust. At least with Willis, you can put him in a good environment and he could change. I could give Willis a second chance, but only if he would be available in the fifth or later. Rather then were his talent is projected in the earlier rounds

Note on Willis: Most talk of Willis as a changed man. Coaches and players now laud the man he is now. Still will be a flag for many though, due to past concerns.

I've heard the same as well. I can deal with the red flags he has. Especially with the locker that we have, but it would have to come in the fifth if he drops, cause I feel there would be just as good if not better talent there without the concerns at 62

Interesting to hear knocks still on Tillery. He had some issues earlier in his career at ND but everything over the last year is that he had worked past his attitude and was a model teammate, but I could be buying into team spin at the college level. I never met him personally. I did read one article that questioned if his character issues weren't more based around the fact that he seems to be outspoken about some non football issues and that he seems to be a very smart guy. I can see a world where a guy who studies abroad in Japan, Ireland and another city may be a little different than the guys many football coaches are used to scouting. All of that, I will be amazed if he is not off the board well before the 7th.

Interesting to hear knocks still on Tillery. He had some issues earlier in his career at ND but everything over the last year is that he had worked past his attitude and was a model teammate, but I could be buying into team spin at the college level. I never met him personally. I did read one article that questioned if his character issues weren't more based around the fact that he seems to be outspoken about some non football issues and that he seems to be a very smart guy. I can see a world where a guy who studies abroad in Japan, Ireland and another city may be a little different than the guys many football coaches are used to scouting. All of that, I will be amazed if he is not off the board well before the 7th.
I'll be amazed if he is not off the board before the Saints pick in the 2nd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom