Dumbest traditions or rules in sports (1 Viewer)

Pitchers throwing a ball 99 mph at the batter because he watched his homerun ball a little too long. Hitting a HR is hard, they should be able to flip the bat or admire their hit. Pitchers often celebrate like crazy when the strike someone out. Fist pumping and screaming and such

Good ones guys. Lots of head scratchers our there.

However, here is, without question, the single DUMBEST MOST CONFOUNDING rule in the history of sport. No question about it.

If it rains, an actual competitive Major League Baseball game can just be over before it’s over. And in the books, finished, marking down over without finishing.

Could you imagine how dumb this is????

Though I’m a Braves fan, the other night the Braves are leading the Pirates (in ATL) 7-5 headed to the 9th. Braves pen has been shaky, Pitt’s 2-3-4 were coming up....rains come....GAME OVER. Braves win.

Meanwhile, THE VERY NEXT NIGHT, at 7:30 the two teams meet again. How hard would it be to resume the 9th, finish the actual game, and then go right into the next game???

Teams used to play actual Double-headers all the time, now they never do...( and the rare occasions they do it’s a day night so they can get 2 ticket sales).

I would slightly understand if it’s the last time you face that opponent in a season, and the two of you have no off days that match up. That’s it. And even then, if that shortened game comes down to affecting play offs at the end, you’ve got to finish it after 162.

Drinking milk after winning the Indy 500.

forking milk?

I get it they are known for milk just like France is known for the bubbly stuff.

In fact why is everyone copying le man's? Oh that is right it is the greatest car race ever.

A little bit of trivia for you Dan Gurney the great American driver is the one who started the spraying everyone after the win thing.

I get it they are known for milk just like France is known for the bubbly stuff.

In fact why is everyone copying le man's? Oh that is right it is the greatest car race ever.

A little bit of trivia for you Dan Gurney the great American driver is the one who started the spraying everyone after the win thing.

So apparently the milk thing started at Indy in the 1930s when Louis Meyer (a three-time winner) would drink buttermilk in victory lane. He liked it and always drank it after a race.

To me, it's just gross. I actually love milk, drink it daily. But the Indy 500 is a three hour race, often quite hot, and in the modern era, the exertion by the drivers during the race is tremendous. It's a very demanding, athletic performance.

And then congratulations! You just won one of the crown jewels of motorsports, you've lost 8 pounds and you're exhausted - but now you have to do this gross thing: drink milk and try not to hurl!

I'm actually being somewhat flip, I recognize and value traditions. And for those drivers, the milk has become synonymous with winning the 500, so they cherish it. It's just odd to me - they don't really go together. And buttermilk? Lord that's even nastier. I guess they didn't have many post-race drink options back then.

So apparently the milk thing started at Indy in the 1930s when Louis Meyer (a three-time winner) would drink buttermilk in victory lane. He liked it and always drank it after a race.

To me, it's just gross. I actually love milk, drink it daily. But the Indy 500 is a three hour race, often quite hot, and in the modern era, the exertion by the drivers during the race is tremendous. It's a very demanding, athletic performance.

And then congratulations! You just won one of the crown jewels of motorsports, you've lost 8 pounds and you're exhausted - but now you have to do this gross thing: drink milk and try not to hurl!

I'm actually being somewhat flip, I recognize and value traditions. And for those drivers, the milk has become synonymous with winning the 500, so they cherish it. It's just odd to me - they don't really go together. And buttermilk? Lord that's even nastier. I guess they didn't have many post-race drink options back then.

And then later that day, you're going to drink a lot of alcohol. If that milk didn't come up earlier, it will later.

\

Every murderer and politician started out drinking milk

In baseball....

If you have too big a lead in baseball, you can't steal.

If you have too big a lead in baseball, you can't work the count.

You can't look in from the bullpen, or second base, to try to steal pitching signals.

You can't bunt to break up a no-hitter.

You can't talk about a no-hitter.

You can't walk in front of the catcher.

Don't celebrate too much.

If the other team throws at your player, you must retaliate.

If there is a beef on the field, the dugouts must empty.

Buttermilk isn’t the same as it was in 1936 and in any case, they don’t even offer it anymore.
According to Brooke Williams, director of communication for the American Dairy Association Indiana, they haven't offered buttermilk as an option since the poll was started in the mid-90s because it's not the drink it was in 1936. Meyer was drinking milk that was left over from the butter his mother made, according to Williams. That buttermilk was refreshing, rich and creamy. But it no longer exists because dairy products are produced at large plants and the old-fashioned buttermilk is highly perishable.

giphy.gif

No golf carts in PGA because the players are "athletes" because they walk the course dagnabbit. Well if it is all about being an athlete than why don't they have to carry their own clubs?

Not that I want to see a bunch of carts out there, I was just thinking back several years ago when a handicapped player wanted an exception to the rule so he could compete.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom