Duncan: (Insert Absurd Draft Idea Here) (1 Viewer)

Mathieu is closer to Williams with weed than Sapp with weed. Sapp spooked guys in the draft with weed, but he realized it cost him money and waited for retirement. Mathieu had less pro upside than Ricky, but the same sort of inability to recognize that right or wrong if he wanted his shot he had to lay low on the weed for a bit.

Nothing wrong with weed in my opinion, and within 10 years it'll be legal everywhere, but choosing to risk your career for anything even on principle means that that principle or that activity is more valuable to you than a shot at an NFL career. So, I don't have much sympathy for his fall.

I would draft him, but I might regret it. At best he is Mark McMillan, the one time Saints who was 5'7 and was able to catch 27 int's in 7 years. He wasn't a star, but he got the job done. At worst, he is Cecil Collins.

Draft him in the 4th or 5th and let him figure it out.

At a minimum, I see him fitting a Roby role. A special teams standout. If he can contribute in the secondary, even in spot situations, that's lagniappe. I wouldn't mind using a 5th or 6th on him. Though I have to agree with MLU and LSSpam, the local proximity of his bad influences and small size are a concern.

This guy would be an absolute stud on the saints. Sean P has always loved Grimes who like Duncan said is basically same size but I think with less skills. We have no one to cover the slot recievers like Welker, Harvin, etc. his value at nickel back in today's game is as valuable as a starting corner. He isn't a outside corner yet but he is a playmaker who can be moved all over the field and the potential to be a lock down corner. We got to see him as a freshman and sophomore. No telling the improvent he could have had as a junior and senior. He was always the best player on the field against any team. I think all the trouble he got in is absolutely the best thing to ever happen to him. I like him more after the trouble because before he was untouchable cocky and arrogant. All the trouble which isn't much has humbled him down and made him realize he is not god but just another human being who can lose everything in a second. Saints are in great need of a playmaker and dynamic returner which he is ever bit of. I think with good coaching and better technique instead of just natural ability in coverage he can be a shutdown guy in the right role. I have never seen a freshman or sophomore with that impact on D that early. Saying he can't cover is wrong. Did he get beat? Yes he did. Check the people and teams he got best by along with his age. I think he is a can't miss defender we will be very happy with. We never hit on anybody in the late rounds on defesne ever! I could also care less about his bench press. Just like Deion said it means nothing. I am interested in his 40 time which I think will be pretty good if not great. even if its not just check the tape! Guy has game speed just like the GOAT Jerry Rice! So why not take him?

I love it he would be a difference maker in the secondary!!!

It isn't a matter of opinion though. It is a substance banned by his future employer. He can't use it.

QFT. Even in Colorado, where it's not against state law anymore, if a Broncos player tests positive once, it's an automatic 4-game suspension. Subsequent positives mean you're gone even longer. Mathieu squandered multiple second-chances at LSU. I wouldn't waste a pick on that, unless I had extra picks in the 6th or 7th.

But as long as no other teams gamble a pick on him, I'd offer him a rookie free agent contract. Let him prove himself in camp.

Hi, I'm Jeff Duncan. I will always propose whatever angers as many Saints fans as possible and vehemently defend it.

And I'm totally pulling for Mathieu.

My thoughts exactly. Probably got tired of being called out for stealing material here so went "Opposite Day" to throw us a curve. *******

Ive been very critical of Honey Badger to N'O. But i would not pass on him in the 4th.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't even really care about that so much as the fact that he's tiny. It's cute to list a bunch of undersized CBs that are exceptions to the rule, but please, someone find me a 5'8 safety outside of Bob Sanders (whose career basically ended due to injuries and was 20+ lbs heavier)

Only other one i can think of is Jim Leonard.

I agree with Duncan in regards to us taking slightly more risks on questionable character guys. We have enough veterans in our locker room that that shouldn't be an issue. So, it could be plausible that if we did draft Mathieu we would have a great support structure in place to keep him grounded.

I agree also. Drugs, Weed, alcohol are in every city so just because he goes some where else doesn't mean the attraction or availability is less. Being on a winning franchise with positive role models like Drew, Colston, Vilma, etc and being on a winning team striving for a Super Bowl every year would be a lot more motivating to stay clean than being on a losing team with no or few positive role models. If he is going to fight his demons and the desire then he needs to face them head on and New Orleans is about as close as you can get.

Saying all that if he's there I'd take him some time in the 5th-6th. The kid is a play maker but not a great CB. I can see him as a Nickle or Dime Back, Returner, and Gunner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom