Duncan: (Insert Absurd Draft Idea Here) (1 Viewer)

If his interviews go well, there may be a team take him late 2nd rd. he ran a 4.43 unofficial and they say he is doing well in his position drills. If the Saints want him and he is there in 3rd they better jump on him then. Barring any more mishaps on his part he may be gone before our 3rd rd pick.

I would not trade up for him though. But I would consider him in 3rd rd.

Honestly, I'd take him in the 3rd or 4th round if he's there. You're talking about a guy who could come in and be a nickel CB right away, with the ball skills to be a serious playmaker at the position and the versatility to really thrive in a RR system.

He has his risks. But I tend to believe the kid when he's saying he's really fighting to get his life back on track.

If his interviews go well, there may be a team take him late 2nd rd. he ran a 4.43 unofficial and they say he is doing well in his position drills. If the Saints want him and he is there in 3rd they better jump on him then. Barring any more mishaps on his part he may be gone before our 3rd rd pick.

I would not trade up for him though. But I would consider him in 3rd rd.

Exactly. As a 3rd round pick, he would be a steal.

A 6th rounder is 20% of our draft.

I don't see how that matters. You are thinking as a fan where you think we need quantity to increase the chances of getting a good players. I don't think teams think that way. They evaluate a guy and decide where they rank him and whether or not to draft him. They have to "trust" their board. To teams, especially the Saints who seem to have no problem giving up picks to move up to get specific players, it's not about quantity, it's about quality.

That being said, I really have no idea how Mathieu projects in the NFL. I do know that he made big plays in big games against high caliber competition at LSU. I also know that he has character concerns in regard to illegal substances. I personally don't care if he or anyone else smokes weed, but the NFL cares so if he can't or won't stop that to me means that you can't draft him. The thing is that I don't know him and have not investigated him. So, as a fan, I have to trust that our staff will make the right decision on him. But, as a fan, he seems like exactly the kind of playmaker that this team needs on defense. Assuming he can not get suspended by the league for violating the substance abuse policy. But, it also seems like those same issues might allow us to get a first round talent late in the draft. Sure, there is a risk he flames out, but that's really the same with any other players. Some are injury risks. Some are risks because they have raw talent, but aren't skilled football players and some are risks because they are smart players, but lack something athletically. If you only pick players that have no risk to them, then you would probably never draft anyone.

Not really buying the "he'd be more of a risk coming to N.O. due to the party-town atmosphere, old friends = old habits", etc.

He's going to be a professional football player. The $$, fame, and temptation is going to be any where he goes. Hopefully he's gotten things straightened out and can thrive (survive) anywhere.

I don't even really care about that so much as the fact that he's tiny. It's cute to list a bunch of undersized CBs that are exceptions to the rule, but please, someone find me a 5'8 safety outside of Bob Sanders (whose career basically ended due to injuries and was 20+ lbs heavier)

Point well taken. However, there were more small DBs than just Bob Sanders who had decent careers (perhaps not as good as Bob)....

Antoine Winfield is amazingly still playing at 5-9

Fred Thomas was 5-9 and despite the criticism he drew from Saints fans at the end of his career he outplayed his height by a wide margin.

Mark McMillian was 5-7 and was not horrible.

Darell Green was 5-9

Dre' Bly was 5-9

Aaron Glenn was 5-9

Point well taken. However, there were more small DBs than just Bob Sanders who had decent careers (perhaps not as good as Bob)....

Fred Thomas was 5-9 and despite the criticism he drew from Saints fans at the end of his career he outplayed his height by a wide margin.

Darell Green was 5-9

Dre' Bly was 5-9

Aaron Glenn was 5-9

Great post.

Amazing how many of those guys played for us.

I mean he mentions Sammy Knight, Sammy Knight was friggin 6'1 210+.

Mathieu is tiny. Maybe you can use him as a special teamer guy/nickel back?

That's back of the draft territory. Sorry.

That's pretty much what he said. He's saying use him as a nickel or dime back. Also a back up punt returner. And they could get him in the 3rd or 4th round. Mike Mayock is thinking 4th round, so JD isn't far off.

We are missing that "ballhawk" in the secondary.

We need to add to the front 7 first, but is Honeybadger is there later, it's not a bad fit for him.

And to those talking about the people he surrounds himself with and needing to get away, the family or posse will just follow him. If he's going to allow people to chase him and chase his money, a few hundred or thousand miles won't change that.

Also, let's add in some perspective of a 3rd or 4th round pick. You can take a chance here. We took a chance on a DT from Canada who no one outside of Mike Mayock ever heard of. We'll see how that pick works out. We also took a chance in the 3rd round on a kid who only played one year of college football after being a basketball player. High risk high reward was what I recall. I think Jimmy Graham was worth the risk.

Just saw the size argument b/c I haven't read through the thread.

Mathieu's size is not his problem. Jabari Greer is in probably 5'9 in high heels. The deficiencies brought on by being short at CB are outweighed by the advantages (better change of direction skills, quicker feet and hips).

Off-field issues aside, here is a quick breakdown of what Mathieu brings:

Pros: Aggressive, athletic, natural football player and ballhawks, playmaker, return/ ST value... etc. He is a "Steve Smith" type of player on the defensive side. So far of what I've seen at the combine, has shown the best ball skills of ALL THE DBs, consistently high pointing and bringing the ball in fluidly, transitioning straight into his return. That translates to INTs in games. He will make more INTs than he will miss because of how he attacks the ball.

Cons: Forget the off-the-field stuff... he can be very undisciplined on the field. Maybe the honey badger crap went to his head, but he is a personal foul magnet... an UNNECESSARY personal foul magnet. He was overrated in coverage b/c he gambled too much. In short, discipline is his biggest weakness.

From a fan perspective, we tend to forgive guys who make mistakes when they make big splashy plays. That is different from a coach, who wants someone he can trust.

So I can tell you right now, Mathieu...even aside from the LSU connection (which doesn't hurt him) and the Honey Badger hype... would be a fan favorite because HE WILL MAKE BIG PLAYS. But I don't know if the coaches are going to trust him enough to take a chance on him.

Personally, after seeing his combine workout... that combined with his film, I'd take a chance on him. He would be a nickel CB from day 1 and make plays for you all over the field.

Just saw the size argument b/c I haven't read through the thread.

Mathieu's size is not his problem. Jabari Greer is in probably 5'9 in high heels. The deficiencies brought on by being short at CB are outweighed by the advantages (better change of direction skills, quicker feet and hips).

Off-field issues aside, here is a quick breakdown of what Mathieu brings:

Pros: Aggressive, athletic, natural football player and ballhawks, playmaker, return/ ST value... etc. He is a "Steve Smith" type of player on the defensive side. So far of what I've seen at the combine, has shown the best ball skills of ALL THE DBs, consistently high pointing and bringing the ball in fluidly, transitioning straight into his return. That translates to INTs in games. He will make more INTs than he will miss because of how he attacks the ball.

Cons: Forget the off-the-field stuff... he can be very undisciplined on the field. Maybe the honey badger crap went to his head, but he is a personal foul magnet... an UNNECESSARY personal foul magnet. He was overrated in coverage b/c he gambled too much. In short, discipline is his biggest weakness.

From a fan perspective, we tend to forgive guys who make mistakes when they make big splashy plays. That is different from a coach, who wants someone he can trust.

So I can tell you right now, Mathieu...even aside from the LSU connection (which doesn't hurt him) and the Honey Badger hype... would be a fan favorite because HE WILL MAKE BIG PLAYS. But I don't know if the coaches are going to trust him enough to take a chance on him.

Personally, after seeing his combine workout... that combined with his film, I'd take a chance on him. He would be a nickel CB from day 1 and make plays for you all over the field.

I heard his interview went well also. It's one thing to say things, quite another to actually do them. I have faith he can turn it around.

I'd take him in the 4th, but I don't see him getting past the 3rd. He's a baller, just undersized. Someone with extra picks will probably scoop him up though. I agree that being in the NOLA would not be good for him.

I agree. He just seems to find the ball, that cannot be taught. I see him going in the 4th. However, if I were the Saints, he would be OFF my draft board just because of local influences.

I would draft him, but I might regret it. At best he is Mark McMillan, the one time Saints who was 5'7 and was able to catch 27 int's in 7 years. He wasn't a star, but he got the job done. At worst, he is Cecil Collins.

Draft him in the 4th or 5th and let him figure it out.

McMillan was horrible when he was a Saint. Unfortunately, the Saints did not remember their history when they proceed to pick up...

Darell Green was 5-9

Dre' Bly was 5-9

Aaron Glenn was 5-9

Jason David, who was 5'8".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom