Duncan: Terron Armstead is most intriguing and important rookie on Saints roster (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Terron Armstead is the most intriguing and important rookie on the New Orleans Saints roster | NOLA.com

Rule No. 1 in Payton's offense is protect Brees. It all starts there. The security Bushrod and Brown provided to Brees has been one of the least appreciated factors behind the offense's unprecedented prolificacy.

Everyone just assumes the touchdowns and yards will continue to rain this season. But they won't if left tackle becomes a turnstile to the No. 9 train.

That's why Terron Armstead is the most intriguing player in the Saints' five-man draft class.

Would the Saints be willing to risk Brees' blind side to a third-round draft pick from Arkansas-Pine Bluff?

Here's where I disagree with how important LT position is when it comes to Brees. ProFootballFocus had Bushrod rated 55th best pass protector last year. Need I say more?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/jermon-bushrod-upgrade-or-side-step/

Duncan completely oblivious to how we value the tackle spot. Not shocked at all it's no secret we value Guards more because of Brees' style of play.

We do value guards more, but the LT is still a very important position so lets not dump on Duncan just because we can here...

We do value guards more, but the LT is still a very important position so lets not dump on Duncan just because we can here...

Not dumping on him. Armstead might very well be most important rookie on team. I just disagree about us having to hit a home run with him.

Strong inside presence allows drew to step up into the pocket to make throws, LT is important but nowhere near as important as the interior line.

So proceed with Duncan bashing.

I've said this in another thread a few days ago, but I think its worth mentioning here. Does anyone think that Armstead could be the heir apparent to fill in at guard whenever either Evans' or Grubs' contract is up? IIRC Nicks and Evans were tackles in college and the Saints transitioned them to guards. Plus, the guy is fast and nimble for his size, which would help if he had to pull on plays. Wherever he ends up playing, I hope he makes a huge impact.

With all of the competition in TC, this offense won't miss a beat with whoever the staff feels confident with at LT. I don't expect Armstead to start this year but I won't be shocked if J. Smith impresses. Bushrod was average and with how long Cutler holds onto the ball his weaknesses will be exposed.

Duncan completely oblivious to how we value the tackle spot. Not shocked at all it's no secret we value Guards more because of Brees' style of play.

i agree. every other team values the tackles more but since Breesus steps up into the pocket about every play, our front three is way more important. i'm still anxious to see how armstead does though

i agree. every other team values the tackles more but since Breesus steps up into the pocket about every play, our front three is way more important. i'm still anxious to see how armstead does though
I'm not expecting much from his this year but next year will be a different story.

I've said this in another thread a few days ago, but I think its worth mentioning here. Does anyone think that Armstead could be the heir apparent to fill in at guard whenever either Evans' or Grubs' contract is up? IIRC Nicks and Evans were tackles in college and the Saints transitioned them to guards. Plus, the guy is fast and nimble for his size, which would help if he had to pull on plays. Wherever he ends up playing, I hope he makes a huge impact.

He'd need to put on 15-20 lbs, but its possible.

All i know is Armstead will be a Pro Bowler in two years. He will push for the starting LT spot in TC. Im so geeked at the screen plays thats about to come to his side of the field. Dumping it off to PT and Sproles and following a 300lber running a 4.65 just mauling defenders. Armstead gne be a Monster and fun to watch defenders gettin out his way on screen plays. Imma be LMAO!!

The Center position im not to sure about. With more teams switching from 4-3 to 3-4 can DLP hold his own and stop pressure going up the middle on Beez....hmmmmmm:scratch:

I not convinced this is a true statement.

Do any of us have any hard evidence that we actually value OG's more than OT's?

Since SP has arrived we have always made sure the offensive line was solid.

Since SP has arrived we have drafted 5 OT's, 4 OG's, and 1 C.

Since SP has arrived we've let go of two OT's only due to injury and we have re-signed/extended two OT's (Bushrod and Strief)

Since SP has arrived we've let Two Centers and One Guard leave for more money and we extended one OG and signed on FA OG.

As it stands, we've only currently spent big money on our two OG's. That's because one was rewarded for being a great player and teammate that we drafted and the other because he was out there.

Currently SP made mention that OT was an area he was concerned about, but most of the LT's on the market are either too expensive or have some questionmark with them (Long - Medical, McKinnie - weight).

Just because we haven't acted desperate at the OT spots doesn't mean they aren't valued. Our LT is still facing the best pass rushers and they have to be reliable.

By Jeff Duncan, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

on April 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Left tackle is one of the few things the New Orleans Saints have gotten right over the years.

I couldn't even get past his first sentence. Still talking like we're the Aint's. Someone fire this bitter ***** already!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom