Dwight Freeney Talks About Super Bowl Losses, Saints & Pats (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score

https://theathletic.com/1324549/2019/11/06/kravitz-18-holes-of-golf-and-18-random-topics-discussed-with-former-colts-great-dwight-freeney/

After that decision was made, the Colts had to reach the Super Bowl, which they did. But Freeney was injured in the AFC Championship Game against the Jets and was deeply limited in the Super Bowl loss to the Saints …

“You know how that happened?” Freeney said. “It was on a screen pass and I was trying to avoid the quarterback because if I’m remembering correctly, that was the year they put in all those rules on how not to hit a quarterback. So, I was trying to avoid him, so I jumped over him and somehow somebody hit him from the other side and he rolled on my ankle. And that was in the fourth quarter when we were up (13 points).

“Dealing with that ankle was horrible. It was non-stop rehab. I’d wake up at 8 a.m., do beach stuff, chiropractic work, soft tissue, acupuncture, muscle activation, electrical stim, hyperbaric chamber. Every day we did that. …

“When the Super Bowl started, I was good. But halftime destroyed me. Believe me, I did everything I could to keep on going, but when I got back out there, it was a flat tire. I had nothing. And they (the Saints) changed the game plan. It was all three-step throws, some five-step. Even if (Drew Brees) was holding onto the ball, I don’t know if I could have gotten there (to the quarterback). Now, it doesn’t trump what I experienced in Atlanta (when the Falcons blew a 28-3 Super Bowl lead to the Patriots). For that one, I still wake up in cold sweats.”

Well, since you brought it up …

“We forgot, from an offensive perspective, that we had the clock on our side,” Freeney said. “Those three-and-outs were killing our defense. We were out there for 90 plays, and they’d pass every play. That’s draining. The Patriots were taking out their starting receivers and putting in backups to run routes, then pulling them and putting the starters back in, so they’re fresh. Still, that whole game, I’m thinking, ‘We have this game. We have it. All we’ve got to do is run the ball and the game is over.’”

Freeney takes a moment, collects his thoughts, stabs a chunk of stone crab.

“And we don’t (run the ball). After Julio (Jones) made that catch, we had it at the (New England) 22-yard line, now, all we’ve got to do is run the ball and the game is over. And we decide to pass it. I couldn’t believe it. (After a Devonta Freeman run that lost 1 yard on first down), we take a freaking sack that pushes us out of field goal range. Then we pass again and we get a (holding penalty on Jake Matthews).

“I couldn’t believe it. What were we doing? That’s the one Super Bowl that will haunt me forever, absolutely forever. Thank God I won one, right? After that game, it was hard for me to eat, drink. … I didn’t know what to do with myself. I was thinking, ‘Maybe if we win this Super Bowl, I’ll retire on top.’ Nope. It didn’t happen.

I am quite sure that is the exact feeling of many Falcons that are still on the team.

Feel bad for Freeney.

Glad to hear him just call out the ridiculous play calling at the end of the 4th quarter for what it was.....a travesty. Versus some cookie cutter answer of we lost as a team. As great a job as Shanahan did that year as OC, he practically lost the Super Bowl. No other way to look at it.

The only thing worst to hear spoken than 28-3 for a Falcons fan is "1st and 10 at the New England 22". Throw on top of that the most reliable kicker in football at the time.

Egad.

Article is a double punch for falcons fans. :ezbill:

And if you read their thread about this article on their forum, you can see that despite their claims that they're over 28-3, they are very, very much not over 28-3.
Isn't it our job to ensure that they never get over 28-3?

Isn't it our job to ensure that they never get over 28-3?

It is but really, they don't need our help. That will haunt them forever. It will stay with them because they don't have a Super Bowl. The Saints have gone through some rough stuff the past two years but I can always put in my 2009 Saints Blu Ray and wrap myself in nostalgia.

Last edited:
When we lost to the 49ers in 2011, I consider that a blown Super Bowl. When we were robbed against the Rams last year, I consider that a blown Super Bowl. We we lost to the Vikings on the fluke, I consider that a 50/50 chance to win the Super Bowl blown. They are upsetting, but I feel like they were all because of ONE FREAKING PLAY going wrong.

To 1000% lose a Super Bowl because you didn't run the ball three times?!?!?!?!? Honestly, not sure I could ever get over that.

I feel bad for Freeney losing out on a ring because he seemed to be one of the classier guys playing ball. No bad headlines or anything. Conflicted feelings there, of course, as one of his losses was also our greatest moment.

His words on getting injured while trying to avoid injuring the QB speaks volumes about the unintended consequences of the league's over-correction on concussions the past several years.

When we lost to the 49ers in 2011, I consider that a blown Super Bowl. When we were robbed against the Rams last year, I consider that a blown Super Bowl. We we lost to the Vikings on the fluke, I consider that a 50/50 chance to win the Super Bowl blown. They are upsetting, but I feel like they were all because of ONE FREAKING PLAY going wrong.

To 1000% lose a Super Bowl because you didn't run the ball three times?!?!?!?!? Honestly, not sure I could ever get over that.

There's just no way to get over that. They dominated for 3 quarters and they were already celebrating. They could taste it. That feeling of, "My god we did it! We won the Super Bowl!", they were feeling that. And then they lost. That's what makes it so bad.

They reeled in the biggest fish they ever caught. And as they were taking pictures with it, the thing flipped out of their hands and back into the water.

I feel bad for him. He was a superb talent and the Colts were my #3 team for Peyton Manning's entire time there (Saints and Bills have been #1/2 since I was a kid.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom