Dynamic DNS Service (1 Viewer)

aj

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good service? I just want a solid reputable company that won't charge me a huge amount. I just need it to direct my sling box. I can't get a static (bellsouth static ip sucks) so I'm looking for some other way.

Last edited:
dyndns.org

Some routers support dyndns.org and will automatically contact their site with your ip when your isp changes your address. I have a netgear router that supports this. It's free, and lets you create a domain for your dynamic ip.

psst, or simply look around.. piece together couple pieces of code.. and you have a service on .net that anytime it senses the network change.. it'll email you.... as in send text message to your phone.....
that way, your ip isn't on any public spot to get access to it, only in your hands.

it's not hard either. just have to look for the pieces....

Of course, Slingbox has it's own finder service such that if you know your Slingbox ID, you can always find it when it reports to the Slingbox servers, if you want to go that route.

Of course, Slingbox has it's own finder service such that if you know your Slingbox ID, you can always find it when it reports to the Slingbox servers, if you want to go that route.
Correct!

psst, or simply look around.. piece together couple pieces of code.. and you have a service on .net that anytime it senses the network change.. it'll email you.... as in send text message to your phone.....
that way, your ip isn't on any public spot to get access to it, only in your hands.

it's not hard either. just have to look for the pieces....
That turns into a real headache, real fast!
Your IP address is still the same, the only thing is that the DDNS service just attaches a 'name' to it when the IP address changes. Not anymore a real security threat than just being on-line. Just make sure and have a good (preferable hardware) firewall in place.

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but if it's a domain name hooked to home when your ISP insists on assigning dynamic IPs, then www.no-ip.com does the trick for free, including some free-to-register odd but usable domains (but if you already have a domain registered, they can deal with it).

You run a small monitor progam on your machine, and when your IP changes it's reported to no-ip.com, who automagicly update the DNS.

Worked just fine for me for a few years now. There might be some outages while the change permeates the internets, but for low traffic stuff, it'll do.
That's what I use. Been using it for 3 years with no problems and like it best.
Pretty darned funny domain names you can use, too.

I use the servebeer.com for mine. :hihi:

Correct!

That turns into a real headache, real fast!
Your IP address is still the same, the only thing is that the DDNS service just attaches a 'name' to it when the IP address changes. Not anymore a real security threat than just being on-line. Just make sure and have a good (preferable hardware) firewall in place.

That's what I use. Been using it for 3 years with no problems and like it best.
Pretty darned funny domain names you can use, too.

I use the servebeer.com for mine. :hihi:

if the ip always remained the same.. there would be absolutely no need for using DDNS, just standard dns would work.

i prefer my method, as it's only in my hands. and i can further restrict the firewall that way...

thanks guys! - I had totally forgotten about the Slingbox finder service - I had trouble getting the thing setup on my home network so it didn't work at first - but I tried it again as it worked!

if the ip always remained the same.. there would be absolutely no need for using DDNS, just standard dns would work.
Sorry, bad wording on my part.

I didn't mean that your IP address would become static, just that nothing else would change with it. As in not going up on a list of publicly IP addresses, at least w/noip.com.
The noip client just reports to the server when your IP address changes.

BTW, I noip.com, as others would to, works very well for static IPs, too.

i prefer my method, as it's only in my hands. and i can further restrict the firewall that way...
Not sure what you meant. Your just as vulnerable weather your IP has a FQDN attached or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom