Eagles Pass Rush Observations... (1 Viewer)

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
  • Drew Brees dropped back to pass 34 times.
    Of those 34 plays, the Eagles blitzed 6 times.
  • Four of those blitzes came in the 1st half, with 2 blitzes in the 2nd half.
  • All of those blitzes involved 5 or 6 players.
  • The Eagles used only LBs in their blitzing packages. No DBs.
  • On each of those six blitzes, the Eagles brought extra pressure up the middle.
  • Each of those six blitzes came on 3rd down.
  • There were no zone blitzes employed the entire game.
  • Every time the Eagles blitzed they showed blitz well before the snap. Very little attempt to disguise their intentions.
Here are the results of those 6 plays:
  1. Completed pass, converting a 3rd and short
  2. Completed pass, failed 3rd and Goal conversion
  3. Sack/Fumble recovered by Saints
  4. TD pass to Colston in 1-on-1 coverage
  5. Completed pass, converting a 3rd and short
  6. Completed pass, converting a 3rd and 11
The Eagles also ran 1 stunt the entire game (result: completed pass, converting a 3rd and short). And there were 2 plays where the LBs showed a blitz but backed off into coverage (On first play the pass was complete converting a 3rd and 10. The second play resulted in an incomplete pass).

So on 28 of Drew Brees' 34 pass attempts the Eagles went with a simple front-four pass rush. And on 26 of those 28 plays the Eagles didn't bother disguising their pass rush, giving Brees a simple 4-man pass rush look at pre-snap.

In week 1 the Lions blitzed on 6% of Brees' 34 dropbacks.
In week 2 the Eagles blitzed on 18% of Brees' 34 dropbacks.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what this means, other than DC's are petrified to not have as many players back to guard against a big play as possible.

I'm really surprised by the breakdown from the Eagles. I would have expected it to be somehwere around 25-35% of their defensive plays involved a blitz of some sort.

ESPN showed that DB was 6-6 for 96 yds and a TD when facing 2 blitzers or more. so you have him 5/6 w/ a TD, still numbers that invite the blitz, IMO.

Good post

Last edited:
I'm really surprised by the breakdown from the Eagles. I would have expected it to be somehwere around 25-35% of their defensive plays involved a blitz of some sort.

Me too. I mean, they blitzed more than the Lions did, but not much more. But after looking at the results of those 6 plays, it's easy to see why they were slow to bring extra pressure. For the most part, Brees was making them pay.

I'm trying to figure out what this means, other than DC's are petrified to not have as many players back to guard against a big play as possible.

It probably would have been if the 2nd half wouldnt of gotten out of hand the way it did.

It probably would have been if the 2nd half wouldnt of gotten out of hand the way it did.

Good point. We ran the ball quite a bit more in the 2nd half.

The "17%" figure I got refers to 17% of Brees' dropbacks. Not 17% of our offensive plays. So, the numbers shouldn't be skewed quite that much by the flow of the game.

Did we ever run when they blitzed? How'd that go?

Did we ever run when they blitzed? How'd that go?

Didn't focus on that aspect. I guess my purpose is just to analyze what teams are trying to do (pass rush-wise) to frustrate Brees and chart how successful they are at doing that.

In the running game, it can also be a little hard to distinguish between a blitz and just an extra guy in the box with man-to-man responsibilities reading his keys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom