Eagles' Wildcat? (1 Viewer)

Malftap

Crackin' Heads Open
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first team we've played in the regular season that has some Wildcat principles. I know ATL has some with Jerrious Norwood but I don't they ran it any last year. Philly has Jackson that pops into the QB position to run the Wildcat. Personally, I think the Wildcat is junk and defenses probably have caught up to it. However, I don't think the Saints will see more than 5 plays from that formation on Sunday. If they run it and Kolb splits out wide I would bust him in the mouth every time.

I think they mostly run it with Vick (and McNabb), which we won't have to worry about.

I don't think the Wildcat is junk. However, it's most effective when you can throw out of it to keep the defense honest. It's actually smart to run it because on your running plays you're going 11 vs 11 rather than 10 vs 11 on your typical running play when the QB isn't a factor once he hands it off.

The Qb isn't a factor anyways and neither is the guy handing off once he hands off. If anything it's 9 vs 11 at that point.

The Qb isn't a factor anyways and neither is the guy handing off once he hands off. If anything it's 9 vs 11 at that point.

Maybe I should have worded it differently.

The guy taking the snap in the Wildcat is a factor because he's a threat to run, as to where in a traditional formation the QB is not a threat to run. You have to account for the guy taking the snap in the Wildcat.

I do to, our division includes some if not the best running teams in the NFL..wow maybe even ours included now, we MUST be built to stop running teams first just for that reason alone, I don;t think a wildcat will confuse anyone this year..on any team. It was a flash in the pan...saying this, Michael Vick if he ever gets back to what he was, was pretty much always running his own version of the wildcat and could cause problems for some.

I don't think the Wildcat is junk. However, it's most effective when you can throw out of it to keep the defense honest.
I agree 1000%. The whole reason why the Wildcat offense became so effective at Arkansas and Miami is because they were using guys who were not only used to running the football but could also throw the ball fairly well. It seems like more and more teams who try to run the offense are getting away from that, thus making it less effective. It's not that defenses have "figured it out" as much as it's because many teams aren't even attempting to throw the ball out of the formation.

If I was the Eagles I would line up Jackson at Qb and have both Vick and McNabb also on the field with one in the slot and the other split out wide and go in motion to Jackson at the snap. That would cause defence some problems.

You know is it really a wildcat if Vick is in at QB? I mean Vick is indeed a QB.

Carolina runs the wildcat.

Philly likes to run it with D.Jackson as the QB and he has been fairly OK at it so far in watching the game last week (vs Carolina).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom