Early rookie impressions from around the league (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
A few rookies that I liked before the draft are turning some heads for other teams.

One I noticed in particular Andy Isabella had an extremely impressive TD last night.

Others like Pass rushers Joe Jackson and John Cominsky seem to also be showing out.

I haven't been keeping up much but is there anyone else of note that others wanted before the draft that have been showing up in preseason?

Jamel Dean also had an INT.

The big corner out of Auburn that ran a 4.30 at the combine.

Wr Emmanuel Hall (edit: Hall claimed by the Bucs) and CB Derrek Thomas are super talented players that were released due to injury that might be PS-eligible in time for the season.

If Wyatt Ray gets released from the Browns he might be able to add DE depth here.

Im shocked that OSU qb Taylor Cornelius has not gotten a shot on an NFL roster nor in the CFL especially considering his 2018 production and his measurables.

Last edited:
Good updates.

Quality of competition counts when assessing. Easiest indicators for me are when the players are playing in the exhibition games.

If you're busting out highlight reels from the fourth quarter, you're looking at a player who his own team sees as a third team player, competing against other third team players. So then I apply the brakes slightly.

If the player starts playing earlier as the preseason progresses (by week 3), then they are either trending up or taking advantage of injuries ahead of them. Good for them.

If they're playing extensively in game 4, then not so much to be excited about, as they're basically auditioning for other teams after they're cut.

Even better than the games is if you get training camp reports for the team. That should tell you which unit they are working with, over time.

So to use a Saints example, while I'm reading about Grayson catching passes exclusively from Taysom, I'm not getting too excited about his prospects until he moves up to a higher level of competition. On the other hand, reading about Butler moving up to get reps with the 1s and catching passes from Brees fills me up with happy thoughts.

I was hoping the Falcons would draft Jimmy Moreland in the 5th. He could be special. Still can’t believe he lasted until the 7th round. He had 10 INT’s in OTA’s, 7 in training camp so far and in his first game had 7 tackles, 3 PD and 2 FF’s
Damn if what your saying is legit that’s freaking impressive

Good updates.

Quality of competition counts when assessing. Easiest indicators for me are when the players are playing in the exhibition games.

If you're busting out highlight reels from the fourth quarter, you're looking at a player who his own team sees as a third team player, competing against other third team players. So then I apply the brakes slightly.

If the player starts playing earlier as the preseason progresses (by week 3), then they are either trending up or taking advantage of injuries ahead of them. Good for them.

If they're playing extensively in game 4, then not so much to be excited about, as they're basically auditioning for other teams after they're cut.

Even better than the games is if you get training camp reports for the team. That should tell you which unit they are working with, over time.

So to use a Saints example, while I'm reading about Grayson catching passes exclusively from Taysom, I'm not getting too excited about his prospects until he moves up to a higher level of competition. On the other hand, reading about Butler moving up to get reps with the 1s and catching passes from Brees fills me up with happy thoughts.
Emmanuel Butler's success doesn't come as much of a surprise to me as he was one of 4 udfa wrs that I really liked before the draft of:

Keelan Doss
Jamal Custis
Emmanuel Hall
Emmanuel Butler

I think that all 4 are similar in ability.

I also liked TE Donald Parham of the Lions who also went udfa.

I think that a tall, fast, long-armed corner like Derrek Thomas is still worth bringing in once he is healthy.

My biggest regret was not grabbing any of my midround passrushers ( Cominsky, Joe Jackson, or Wyat Ray) because I am still nervous about the losses of Rankins and Okafor.

Good updates.

Not to argue a point, but to be specific. Until I see Butler do something in a live game; be it with Brees, or Bridgewater, I will hold my praise for him. OTH, Grayson has a leg up as he had arguably the best catch of any receiver, thus far, from Teddy. Add in his special teams ability to return kickoffs, the gunner on punts and has the ability to be the first man downfield on kickoff coverage, forcing the returner to change direction into the strength of the coverage, he has a leg up on Butler. JMO, at this point.

I've come to really like the prospect of keeping Lil'Jordan Humprey as a big slot like Marques Colston used to be here.

Someone made the comparison of him to former Haslett-era wr Willie Jackson which I thought was spot on for a big yards-after-the-catch guy.

I hope that the wr position shakes out as follows.

Mike Thomas
Emmanuel Butler
Ted Ginn
Keith Kirkwood (although very behind)
Trequan Smith
Simmie Cobbs Jr.
Lil'Jordan Humphrey

I think that the odd man out might be Grayson but who knows. I think that they will keep 7wrs again and that the last spot will come down to Grayson or Humphrey but I think that Humprey has the edge in size and consistent play-making ability, especially across the middle of the field.

I haven't heard much from Alize Mack which I think hurts his chances slightly. I think that he might end up on the PS.

I've come to really like the prospect of keeping Lil'Jordan Humprey as a big slot like Marques Colston used to be here.

Someone made the comparison of him to former Haslett-era wr Willie Jackson which I thought was spot on for a big yards-after-the-catch guy.

I hope that the wr position shakes out as follows.

Mike Thomas
Emmanuel Butler
Ted Ginn
Keith Kirkwood (although very behind)
Trequan Smith
Simmie Cobbs Jr.
Lil'Jordan Humphrey

I think that the odd man out might be Grayson but who knows. I think that they will keep 7wrs again and that the last spot will come down to Grayson or Humphrey but I think that Humprey has the edge in size and consistent play-making ability, especially across the middle of the field.

I haven't heard much from Alize Mack which I think hurts his chances slightly. I think that he might end up on the PS.

I think Mack ends up stashed on IR. I think Cobbs ends up on the practice squad. I have a feeling that we will be carrying an extra safety/cb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom