Early whistle? (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Something caught my eye yesterday, and the commentators never mentioned it.

On the play where SF was called for an illegal block in the back, the officials blew the play dead while it was going on. The ball carrier was running, and just as he was being grabbed by a Saints player, the whistle blew.

Isn't it unusual for the refs to blow a play dead for an illegal block penalty?

I saw it too and thought the same thing. Seemed really odd. I actually thought, it must have been one of those pre-snap penalties and the whistle was actually late. So I was really confused when the call was block in the back.

I think he was testing out his new whistle. Wanted to warm it up for the game. On a side note, refs didn't do too bad yesterday.

They also called an OPI on the Saints on a pass thrown to Kamara behind the line on the first play of the 3rd quarter.

I saw and heard that too. I think the Ref blew his whistle knowing play would be negate any yardage gained from that play. Kwon Alexander is one fast dude, he beat the runner to the sideline on that play.

I saw and heard that too. I think the Ref blew his whistle knowing play would be negate any yardage gained from that play. Kwon Alexander is one fast dude, he beat the runner to the sideline on that play.

I hope that wasn't the issue, because if so, it would have also negated something like a fumble that we recovered.

Inadvertent whistle...teams should have been given their choices, but it went one like nothing happened.

Yeah, I saw that as well and thought it was odd.

But as a previous poster said, it’s actually really messed up. What if we would have caused a fumble?

Do refs get fined for stuff like this? They should.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom