Earth to John Kerry, come in John...(merged)(again) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerry's camp has issued a clarification. The remark was intended as a Bush-bashing, but it came out...er...wrong.

McCain is holding a press conference at 1 p.m. Eastern to formally call Kerry down.

Kerry's statement is seething:

October 31, 2006
Statement of John Kerry Responding to Republican Distortions, Pathetic Tony Snow Diversions and Distractions

“If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize the more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they're crazy. This is the classic G.O.P. playbook. I’m sick and tired of these despicable Republican attacks that always seem to come from those who never can be found to serve in war, but love to attack those who did.

I’m not going to be lectured by a stuffed suit White House mouthpiece standing behind a podium, or doughy Rush Limbaugh, who no doubt today will take a break from belittling Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease to start lying about me just as they have lied about Iraq. It disgusts me that these Republican hacks, who have never worn the uniform of our country lie and distort so blatantly and carelessly about those who have."

READ MORE - It gets better. :)

http://www.johnkerry.com/news/releases/release.html?id=33

>>READ MORE - It gets better.

Wait a minute. I realize it's a cover, but what's wrong with the statement? Can anyone find anything that's (f)actually incorrect? None of those patriotic geeks served in any capacity except the president, and what he did was dubious in comparison with those who saw live action. :shrug:

TPS

>>READ MORE - It gets better.

Wait a minute. I realize it's a cover, but what's wrong with the statement? Can anyone find anything that's (f)actually incorrect? None of those patriotic geeks served in any capacity except the president, and what he did was dubious in comparison with those who saw live action. :shrug:

TPS
I guess since he didn't (f)actually call out McCain (who did call out Kerry), the jury's still out.:shrug:

Here's why Kerry's statement addresses Tony Snow:

White House Spokesman Slams Kerry Remark
By JENNIFER LOVEN
The Associated Press
Tuesday, October 31, 2006; 12:59 PM

WASHINGTON -- The White House accused Sen. John Kerry on Tuesday of troop-bashing, seizing on a comment the Democrat made to California students that those unable to navigate the country's education system "get stuck in Iraq."

"Senator Kerry not only owes an apology to those who are serving, but also to the families of those who've given their lives in this," White House press secretary Tony Snow said. "This is an absolute insult."

READ MORE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/31/AR2006103100649.html

What did Limbaugh say? Sorry, I may be a slug, but there are some places that even a slimey slug won't go.

Gotcha. McCain has the credibility that Bush (to a degree), Rumsfeld, Limbaugh, Cheney et al lack. Kerry ain't my favorite spokesperson, but this is the type of campaign-season thing that blinds people into believing stories like "why isn't the fact we've halfed the deficit (we created)" a headline but instead on page 8. It's going after these types of comments, going after the Michael J. Fox's and such rather than running on their records (dismal, IMHO).

McCain is a mixed bag. He's got street cred with me, but he's also as much of a GOP insider as he is an independent streak. But McCain can talk with some legitimacy. As for Kerry's comments, it's tough to say. People always talk about soldiers understanding what they're signing up for when they enlist. But let's don't forget that there should be a little give and take there along with a presumption that our leaders will craft and follow sanity every now and then (think Mogadishu, Iraq, etc.).

TPS

Last edited:
The folks at the Chicago Tribune are popping popcorn and enjoying the show.

Originally posted: October 31, 2006
Kerry gives fellow Dems Halloween trick
Posted by Frank James at 11:00 am CST

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) really has a way with words. Fortunately for Karl Rove, it’s a way that makes keeping a Republican Congress easier.

For Republicans, Kerry is the gift that keeps on giving. For Democrats, he’s turning out to be the October surprise and Halloween all wrapped into one.

EXERPT:
TONY SNOW'S PRESS CONFERENCE REMARKS:

MR. SNOW: … It sort of fits a pattern. You may recall that last year Senator Kerry on CBS's Face the Nation accused U.S. soldiers of terrorizing kids and children in Iraq and recently also described troop concentrations in Baghdad as, quote, “having failed miserably.” What Senator Kerry ought to do first is apologize to the troops. The clear implication here is: If you flunk out, if you don't study hard, if you don't do your homework, if you don't make an effort to be smart and you don't do well, you, quote, "get stuck in Iraq." Bret, an extraordinary thing has happened since September 11th, which is a lot of people, America's finest, have willingly agreed to volunteer their services in a mission that they know is dangerous, but is also important. And, you know, Senator Kerry not only owes an apology to those who are serving, but also to the families of those who have given their lives in this. This is an absolute insult, and I'm a little astonished that he didn't figure it out already. I mean, you know, as far as Senator Kerry -- I mean, you've seen me; if I say something stupid, I apologize as quickly as possible. And this is something for which he ought to apologize. Meanwhile, it's probably reasonable to ask some of the Democrats -- ask Jim Webb or Tammy Duckworth, both of whom are citing their military record, "Okay. What do you think about? What do you think about this quote? Do you agree with him? He was your presidential nominee." And as for the notion that, you know, you can say this sort of thing about the troops and say you support them, it's interesting.

READ MORE
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/10/kerry_gives_fel.html

Gotcha. McCain has the credibility that Bush (to a degree), Rumsfeld, Limbaugh, Cheney et al lack. Kerry ain't my favorite spokesperson, but this is the type of campaign-season thing that blinds people into believing stories like "why isn't the fact we've halfed the deficit (we created)" a headline but instead on page 8. It's going after these types of comments, going after the Michael J. Fox's and such rather than running on their records (dismal, IMHO).

McCain is a mixed bag. He's got street cred with me, but he's also as much of a GOP insider as he is an independent streak. But McCain can talk with some legitimacy. As for Kerry's comments, it's tough to say. People always talk about soldiers understanding what they're signing up for when they enlist. But let's don't forget that there should be a little give and take there along with a presumption that our leaders will craft and follow sanity every now and then (think Mogadishu, Iraq, etc.).

TPS
Sanity? From D.C.? Surely you jest.

Democrats campaigning better distance themselves quick fast and in a hurry from Kerry. They will take a hit no matter what but they can reduce the pain by getting ahead of this and denouncing the statements before their opponents can link them to it. This may be just the 3 or 4 point swing some of the Republicans in close races needed.

Best part of Kerry's official press release:

Washington – Senator John Kerry issued the following statement in response to White House Press Secretary Tony Snow, assorted right wing nut-jobs, and right wing talk show hosts desperately distorting Kerry’s comments about President Bush to divert attention from their disastrous record.

Nice!

http://www.johnkerry.com/news/releases/release.html?id=33

I'd like to see the WH respond in kind, just for fun.

Washington - President George Bush issued the following statement in response to Senator John Kerry (D - Vietnam) and his galactically stupid, ill-timed and generally obnoxious remarks, in which he inferred that our soldiers in Iraq were simply too stupid to escape their fate....

Is this statement from Kerry what is causing the uproar and basis for this thread?

“You know education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don’t you get stuck in Iraq.”
John Kerry, October 30, 2006
Audience response: A mixture of laughter and gasps.

I think it is true - our guys are stuck in Iraq and it is an unfortunate and uncalled for situation squarely on the back of bush and rumsfeld. I don't see this as Troop bashing at all but clearly the snow and mccain jumping on the opportunity to politicize the comments. That is afterall what they wake up each and every day looking for the opportunity to do - all of them for that matter - kerry included.

Does anybody know the rest of what he said? It's clear the video cuts off in the middle of his statement and all the articles end the quote on the word "Iraq".

I mean, clearly this sounds bad but I'm wondering if we're not on the cusp of another "our troops terrorizing Iraqi's" statement here where it sounds much worst without the rest of the statement.

I agree with SBTB's post above. Always get the context when quoting or misquoting a politician. I'm inclined to call this another example of stilted Kerry humor, much as he displayed when he seemed to wish Bush's assassination on Bill Maher's show. Comedy is hard. It takes real talent to turn out a joke, a task best left to the pros.

Kerry and Gore wake up most mornings and ask themselves, " I lost to this?" Add to that sentiment the prevailing opinion of your inner circle, which believes their opposition is evil incarnate, and these belittling remarks have a habit of escaping.

I do not believe the electorate is ignorant, so the better national choices have a way of manifesting the voters' wisdom. Watching Gore, Kerry, and most losing candidates self-implode substantiates that view. The better losing option was exercised by Nixon, who held out two terms and built up an IOU list which vaulted him into the Presidency in 1968.

>>I'd like to see the WH respond in kind, just for fun.
>>Washington - President George Bush issued the following statement in response to Senator John Kerry (D - Vietnam) and his galactically stupid, ill-timed and generally obnoxious remarks, in which he inferred that our soldiers in Iraq were simply too stupid to escape their fate....

LMAO. They're going to have to try a little harder though to compensate for the "doughy" Rush Limbaugh. :spit: That's an instant classic.

Hey NC,

Best post on the thread, bar none. Fight the powers that be!

TPS

This is some kind of news story?

Someone makes a gaffe and the opposition feigns outrage and insult, demanding an apology. And to top it off, it's not just anyone, it's the Senator who was born with the silver foot in his mouth, John Kerry, reporting for duty. I'm not shocked, outraged, but I can't say I don't find it to be somewhat humorous only seven days out from a major election.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom